1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there something wrong with Landry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wingcommander87, Apr 22, 2009.

1. wingcommander87

With deke being out, Landry has become a very important player off the bench. With that being said, i have seen zero passion and very little energy from landry in these two games. Last yr's landry played fearlessly in the playoffs with missing his tooth and all. At some point in the last game, landry was 3ft away from the basket and instead of dunking it he missed a 3ft jumper. also he has being taking more jumpshots and dunking very less. last yr he was dunking like crazy but this yr i have not seen those thunderous dunks. I know he was shot and he needs some getting use to. But this is the playoffs and all our players need to give it their all for us to win. Hope coming to houston will boost landry's game.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He got shot about a month ago.

3. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I would imagine it's the attack taht has affected him.

4. NateNate

NateNate Member

LMAO no really LOL O MY

5. ibm

ibm Member

the shot in his leg;

last year was his contract year.

one of the 2.

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

I don't think the contract has anything to do with it. He still doesn't seem as explosive since he's returned. That could also mean a tougher match up for him when there are two 7 footers out there as well.

7. Chinesekid123

Chinesekid123 Member

he got shot.

i wonder how you would feel when you almost meet your death :(

8. #1YAODADDY

#1YAODADDY Member

Nothing is wrong with him. LMA is just a bad matchup for him. Hes unable to shoot over him or drive by him.

9. blender

blender Member

Now that Deke's out, our backup frontcourt guys like Landry and Hayes are really going to have to step up. Their rebounding is going to be key to beating Portland.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There was an epic moment in the Dallas game (2nd quarter?) where Landry was fighting for an offensive board that went out of bounds. He fell on the floor, clenched his fists, and screamed loud enough for the telecast to pick it up pretty well.

The passion is still there - but I have also noticed that he hasn't been the Landry we know and love. Maybe it is the Aldridge matchup, but maybe not..

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

something is wrong with him, hes physically in the game, but mentally not...he needs to wake up...remember last year's playoffs? we need that landry, blocking people and getting his tooth knocked out (not exactly but u get what i mean)

12. Landlord Landry

there is nothing wrong with Landry! it's everyone else in the leauge! :mad:

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Portland is a bad team for Landry to play against. If he is in the game, he will usually end up against Aldridge. On defense he will get torched. He is worse than Hayes and Scola in the post. In fact he is a pretty bad defender. He is neither long enough to bother Aldrige's shot, nor does he move well enough to stay with him. Scola and Hayes are stronger, more physical, and stay with Aldrige better.

The only way Landry will see extended minutes is if Scola starts to go cold with his outside shooting to counter Yao's fronting and Landry starts to go on a roll on offense. Not very likely and that's why we see him in limited minutes with the second unit.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He has always done poorly against tall front lines. Especially when things get physical. He is a tough guy but he just doesn't respond well to physical play,

15. fogo11606

fogo11606 Member

Nothing is wrong , it's just that it's the playoff. we don't have much play running for him. Although we have to get everyone evolve.

16. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

I think he will be have a great game at home.

BTW Houston bench have outplay Portland bench this two games, and usually the bench play better at home. So I expect Landry having a great game with the crowd behind.

He was hesitating a lot with no confidence, playing at home can fix that.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So much of the game is mental. You only have to look at how Portland played in game 1 and how they played in game 2 to see the difference. Landry hasn't got it together yet upstairs. He went through a huge trauma and he's not over it. I think he needs a big, breakout game and I sure hope it happens Friday. If he manages it, we'll be seeing the "old Landry" the remainder of the series (IMO).

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm quite certain it's the match-up with Aldridge that's got him a little flustered. He really can't do much because of LMA's length. I think we're gonna see a little more of that "GIMME DAT!" mentality in Houston though.

19. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I haven't seen the same explosiveness out of Landry all season as I did last year. He was crazy last year; double clutch dunks, flying all over the place.

Ultimately I think he's been a better player this year, and as someone else said matching up with Aldridge is a tough assignment for him.

20. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

Anybody who is just a few weeks back from almost being killed, gets a pass from me. We can't expect much from Carl this postseason, he never has been the same since he came back. Had a decent 1st game back, but thats it