1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there anything we (the fans) can do to help?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by skyline07, Feb 29, 2012.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Kill Stern.

Ha jk

But honestly... kill Stern.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I disagree with this, by not going to games and not watching the team you are tellling management that this is an unacceptable product, and that the loyal fans are tired of wallowing around in mediocrity, or trying to cheer for players that the GM is constantly trying to flip for something better.

It is creating apathy from people like me who have been fans for more than 40 years.

I would say, keep on ignoring the product until they put one worthy of our attention on the court, or pick a MEANINGFUL direction.

DD

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I feel dumber for reading the above post.

4. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

You know, they need money in order to spend it.

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

They got plenty of money during the Yao and Tmac era, when they held onto the contracts for those guys and collected insurance money that covered most of their costs.

Imagine having a business that generated $100 million a year, but you have salaries and overhead that cost $95 million....giving you a profit of $5 million a year.

Now imagine that $15 million is covered by insurance, and you now have a profit of $20 million for that year.

Le$ has made plenty of money, a wise consumer demands a better product.

DD

6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Great IDEA!!!!

Oh wait I forgot....

A. Don't live in Houston

B. Even if I did, I could not afford to go to more than 1-2 games per season.

C. When I am in town, I stay on the west side of Houston... Takes about 1.5 hours full trip to travel to Toyota Center and back. If I had lots of money to blow, I honestly wouldn't care. But 1 Rockets game might cost me ~$50 tix, $10 food (probably more unless I eat beforehand), ~$10 parking, ~$10 gas, etc. As a broke college student. I just cannot do that on a regular basis. Sorry.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sealy isn't in town.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's weird how we've only had 3 losing seasons in almost 30 years and we're tired of that.

I get why we're tired, but it's just weird when you look at it like that.

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Katy.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Then you must drive slow. ;)

11. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Speaking of IPads....

Morey gave NeNe one during their meeting. Wife mentioned that he didn't feel like it was anything special.

Does Morey do this to all free agents?

12. Codman

Doesn't that behavior contradict your loyalty to the Rockets then?

1 person likes this.
  13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Nah, it shows management that the fans are not interested in what they are doing, we are speaking directly to them by not putting our hard earned cash into their pockets.

That is the American way.

DD

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm 100% behind you DD. Please ignore the team.

1 person likes this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Voice of the casual fan.

But 99% of the people that post here are die hards.

1 person likes this.
  16. Codman

Although I don't think you are one, this kind of mindset seems like the definition of a fairweather fan.

I actually like that we are the only team in the playoffs without a star.

Then again, only one team wins the whole thing, so if we followed the advice of "ignoring" a product until it is successful (i.e. winning a ring) all but one team in the NBA would be ignored almost every season.

Fandom is tough, but you have to stay with your team regardless.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I seriously doubt management thinks of definitions of fandom, all they care about is that people are attending the games, buying their product and merchandise.

The whole, I am a bigger fan than you is laughable - to try to define or hold accountable others, for your own view on what a fan is or isn't is stupid.

It is a personal choice, and what we are talking about here is whether there is anything fans can do, and honestly they are doing it....

They are telling management, this team is not good enough to support fully, and that they are tired of mediocrity, now whether the organization listens is up to them.

I think going to the playoffs without a real shot, and losing in the first round, is about the same as not going, and then to top it off by losing a draft pick when we need them the most for Terrence fricken Williams....man, that is a kick in the nads.

I will always be a fan, but I can understand the apathy this year, the team is playing ugly, boring basketball, the ToyBox is devoid of energy, the team has no stars, and flops a lot, and plays below the rim.

It is a yawn fest for a good number of fans....and I don't blame them one bit.

DD

1 person likes this.
  18. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I'm actually enjoying this season a lot. Watching underdogs overcoming odds with effort and playing at, or above, their actual skill level is inspiring. But then again, I enjoyed the Pistons Championship and all those of the Spurs in the last 13 years.

19. alethios

alethios Member

It's on Les and to a smaller extent, DM to make Houston an attractive place for marquee players to come. It's also on the fans, if they really care about this team, to show whatever support they can by attending the games and cheering loudly. Players respond to this. Imagine how our players must feel going to an arena where the fan base is huge and loud. Might sting a little to come back home and hear little if any noise.

I see this as not one or the other, but a synergy between the two - owner/management and fans.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The only way to directly influence this team is:
    Practice basketball 10 hours per day, become the GOAT and become our new star. No other options.