1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there any reason why Brooks and Landry shouldn't start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

leebigezz, are you pissed at Scola because a white guy beat the brothers in a dance contest?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like Brooks, at least, as an energizer off the bench. And I think that both can realize their upside more easily by playing against the opposing team's second unit. They may eventually become starters, but I don't see the rush for it right now.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How many PGs would AB replace or how many PFs would Landry replace on playoffs teams?

[crickets]

Thought so.

If AB proves to be the better player over the course of the season, he will be made the starter. But he hasn't proven anything at all yet. A good pre-season counts for nothing other than getting him a spot in the rotation to see what he does.

4. ThaBlackKnight

Why would you replace Scola when the Rockets went on a 22 game winning streak when he entered the starting lineup? Artest and Battier are very similar players, so changing them in the startign 5 won't hurt.

Scola however, has years of experience on Landry. I think Landry might have caught on some skill with his jump shot, but Scola is a scrappy power forward the Rockets need with Yao, who can also hit the top of the key jumper. Plus he can post up if needed to give the others a break on offense. He is also great at taking charges.

There is no reason to mess with success and great chemistry with Yao and Scola. Until there is reason to, then lets keep whats been working.

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Scola is a proven vet that wins and morey is about stats.

Rafer is the same.

As AB and Landry play more they will get their chance.

FYI I love that we can discuss 3 out of 5 positions and wonder if our backup is better than our starter.

Depth is good.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If i didnt know any better, i thought this was yr 2 for scoal,landry, and brooks. Olympic or international experience means nothing to the nba. If that was the case, Javecavic and guys like that would be dominating the nba. In fact , when was the last time someone from overseas made 1st team all nba? has it ever happened? I'm still saying that landry brings more to the table plus his upside is higher. Chris Mihm has the experience over Bynum, but bynum does more and is younger plus he's getting better.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Playing Landry over Scola isn't so much an issue now that Landry's showing off a silky smooth midrange jumper. All the media guys were talking about how Landry used that shot all last year in practice and now it's finally showing up in (pre-season) games.

That said I'm happy if either one of them starts. Scola's got that crazy X factor--he's freaking canny, his bball IQ is off the charts and he's always the last guy to give up on a play. When was the last time you saw somebody his size steal inbounds passes like in the Memphis and GS games?

8. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

i don't like Landry. he should have gotten traded.

that is all.

9. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

So international experience means nothing in the NBA? So your telling me a PF coming out of college is on the same level as Luis Scola, international star, tourny winner, FIBA mvp, etc. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. And dont pick a crappy player like Javecavic, why didn't you point out manu, or rudy f, jose calderon... Nevermind that the rockets winning percentage went nuts when scola was inserted into the starting line up, yep, talent and upside win championships. 'Hawks in 09!!!!!!!

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Think about and its not a knock, its the truth. Horford was 20 and scola 27. Horford played college ball, scola the best big in europe. Who's the better player? In fact, international ball means so little, the last import roy was gasol and that was 01. Yet those players get paid, don't have rules on practice and still come to the nba and take time to adjust. If the american college players only had to practice and hoop everyday, it wouldn't even be close. Landry is already pressing scola and he played in the big 10. Fiba means nothing to the nba. Guys like trajon langdon are stars and he couldn't even finish a rookie contract.

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

If Duncan does not count, there is still Nash and Dirk.

12. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Ok, good points. But i still wouldnt say international experience means nothing, the college players do have the benefit of playing in the same style the nba plays.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Nash and Duncan both went to american univiersities. (Santa Clara and Wake Forest) And Nash being from Canada isn't exactly overseas, and the Virgin Islands is technically USA.