1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there any reason why Brooks and Landry shouldn't start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Oct 24, 2008.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I think leebigez is taking a somewhat unconventional look at things (at least as it pertains to this forum) and making sound arguments to support his case. At the very least, he has brought forth some interesting, discussion-worthy ideas that aren't nearly as far-fetched as some people are making them out to be.

Alston peaked a long time ago and has some serious, persistent flaws while Landry has already made visible improvements to his game just months after an impressive and promising rookie season.

Most of all, I think it's pretty sweet that we are even having these kinds of discussions. This thread doesn't even touch on the whole Battier vs Artest dilemma.

It wasn't long ago when the discussions were "Should Juwan Howard or Chuck Hayes start?" and "Luther Head or Kirk Snyder?". Our wizard GM has done a masterful job taking us from a team with major holes in our starting lineup and a total lack of depth to a situation where we aren't even sure if a 10-man rotation will get all the players that deserve to play on the court.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I just think sometimes boldness is what gets the ring. The first step of that was getting Artest. If not for that move, the Rox aren't serious contenders. People around here will hang on to that win streak like its means the rox were title worth. I think it gave a sense of false security. I guess I look at the bold moves made by other championship team in the past. I remember the Laker traded to all stars and a solid big to get a sharp shooter and allow the young pg to take over. After that move they won 3 titles in a row. That's right, the lakers traded jones,nick, and campbell for basically glen rice. What happened is the growth of fisher and his improvement helped steady the ship and provided some upside. Nick was a better player than Fisher as was jones and campbell better than rice, but sometimes you have to get guy out or put them on the bench if they're not getting better or improving your team. I keep beating the Tony Parker v Daniels deal. For a couple yrs they had traded and groomed daniels to replace avery. They draft parker and at the end of preseason, they trade daniels and go with the rookie. Adelman has been down this road before with williams and bibby. Its hard to run things in this offense because rafer is such a terrible mid range shooter. Maybe my victory will be Brooks and Landry basically splittng the minutes at that position in half. Maybe it will be like cassell/smith. I guess we'll see in a minute. I just think we're wasting our time and guarantee ourselves frustration with rafer.Its not even close really how much landry has closed the gap and passed scola. Those stuck in the glare of the olympics when talking about scola, it was fiba rules and play which doesn't translate to anything here.

3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I still always think that Hinrich would be that guy that Rick Adelman had ala J-Will vs. Bibby...Alston vs. Hinrich? improbable at this tym..

4. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Good post. Interesting idea just a little risky. I have thought about that possibility before we're just a veteran team trying to get a ring so we're going for more of a sure thing even if it less but you know what you will get everynight out skip an scola.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Consider this: When is the last time an NBA champion had two 2nd year players as starters? (For the record, I don't consider Scola a 2nd year player).

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

scola Is a legit world class talent who has basketball smarts and plays a great team game. Landry is an athletic up and comer who is getting better all the time and provides a spark off the bench. Landry may be better in time but Scola is a better started now and provides a legit post presence.

Brooks is going to be a good point guard one of these days if he can work on his defense and master getting the team into the offense. He's quick with the ball and his shot selection and percentage seem to be improving. If he keeps up the consistent play the rockets have found their point guard of the future but for now Rafer's job is safe because he plays good defense and gets the offense rolling.

Let's all hope for a healthy year from everyone.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Rondo was in his 2nd yr. Horry was in his 2nd yr. I'm sure its rare, but when was the last time a team won the ring when the pg shoots under 40%? I bet you would have to go back to bob cousy. Just go back 20 yrs and tell me how many have done it.

8. kwng

kwng Member

IMO both Brooks and Landry is very capable of being starters but for this season, we should start with Rafer and Scola. After a few matches or perhaps towards the mid season, if Brooks and Landry continue to show that they are playing better than Rafer and Scola, perhaps a change in starters should be considered.

9. worzel gummidge

Hinrich + (Gray or Nichols*) = Battier + Alston + (Head or Hayes)
    Rockets reduce team salary by around $2.83M

*partially guaranteed contract

Rockets would be under LT and create enough salary space to add Deke, Harris, and Strawberry.

Though the Rockets wouldn't do it as they give up too much talent. The Bulls wouldn't go through with it as this trade would put them over LT.

10. GranvilleWaders

Brooks,TMAC,Artest,Landry,Yao would be a turnover nightmare!

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rondo was carried by 3 Hall of Fame players when he cratered in the playoffs. Horry was surrounded by 4 veterans. Two 2nd year players as starters on the same team is a big stretch. If AB had a distinguished rookie season, I might be open to the idea. For that matter, this might come back up 40-50 games from now. But AB has to show over the long regular season he is fit to be a rotation player. First things first.

Same for Landry. He has to demonstrate some durability before being handed the keys. If he's still drilling jumpers, finishing strong at the rim, etc. instead of being slowed down with injuries, we can also revisit this mid-season. I still think Landry's best fit on the Rockets is as an energy player off the bench who can give you 15-20 fresh minutes of intensity, hustle and jump-shooting.

12. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Me too.

13. Zfan

Zfan Member

Yes. Manu is not a regular starter but I don't doubt his importance in Spurs.

14. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I don't think Brooks will ever be a starter in this league. He is just to small and to play that many minutes over the season will break him down. Landry still needs to develope some offensive moves. Most of his points come off of dunks.

15. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Landry is explosive off the bench and instent energy with actual talent. It better to use him off the bench to speed up game tempo just like Brooks.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lol, this idea comes up again.

No to AB starting, everyone else already went into why.

Yes to Landry starting.

Landry is the consumate energy, garbage put back guy who doesn't need the ball in his hands to make an impact. With double teams on Yao, Artest, and T-Mac, Landry can sneak in for a ton of easy points. Can he hang defensively is the question.

Scola can do so much as a post player, with the starting lineup he's not going to get as much touches. Have him dominate on the second unit. Make him the focal point of the offense against second teamers!!!! Scola would kill other team's benches! Plus his passing skills to cutters like AB and great shooters like Barry and Battier....drool.

Either way the key to this season is cut back on Yao and T-mac's minutes. Ride Artest (in a contract year with something to prove), Battier, Landry, and Scola hard. We are deep use it to our advantage.

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Oh yeah, because the parker situation happens all the time right? And Brooks can't develop getting minutes off the bench right? If AB is good enough, he will have his opportunity to get into the starting lineup, esp if Rafer is as bad as you think he is. Rondo is more of an example of why Rafer should start, imo.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's fairly simple. The idea works if we were trying to win it all NEXT season.

I believe in this season. Maybe you don't. But the best way to win the championship THIS season is to play those with the best current abilities, moreso than those with bigger upside.

I also think it's important to say that Scola's playoff performance was underrated. The Jazz PF/C rotation went on to do much better in the playoffs last season, and Scola was a MAJOR part of that.

He is not your typical player who is looking to put his number one strengths forward. He is the type of guy who does what is necessary for the team to win, with the ability to bring out his best qualities when the team needs him.

He WILL carry this team if this team ends up needing 20 points from him. Landry, on the other hand, when defended would probably not be able to do that.

Not to mention that it's an 82-game season and both Brooks and Landry have the entire season to show if they should start. At this point, unless they are better in skill and fit, they should not start. If they are, they have a long season to show it.

I don't understand why anyone would touch the starting line up right now. I don't even want Artest starting when Battier is 100% healthy. Unless he proves that he is better for the team.

19. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

When they put Scola in the starting lineup, we won 20+ games in a row.

Now, what was your question again? :eek:

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Of the two players (Brooks and Landry), the only one I would actually consider starting would be Landry, cuz of his bulk and athletism. With the attention that defenses will be giving Yao, Tmac and Artest, the rockets need a player that can finish around the bucket with authority ie.(Otis Thorpe), Landry would be the recipient of alot of easy buckets from some pinpoint passes coming off the big 3. I love Scola and think he's is craftier with the ball out of the block than Landry at this point in his career, actually Scola could be a great go to guy against the oppossing teams 2nd unit. Yao+Scola= very little athletism, although there is some excellent chemistry between the two players. Lets face it Landry plays the game above the rim and his jumpshot that he's always had since college is starting to come back to him. It's a tough call or a bold move in messing with the starting lineup that already works, but looking at it from a bigger picture perspective it may be a move that might have to be made either now or in the not to distant future.

I think I would keep Brooks in on the second unit and try to get as much offense from him as possible.