1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the USA the worst country in the world?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Sep 20, 2020.

?

Is the USA the worst country in the world?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Not the worst but not the best

33 vote(s)
    89.2%
  3. I have been brainwashed into thinking that America is the greatest country on earth

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Black community in the US has a reason why they are hesitant to trust outsiders. Look at the past 300 years and have some empathy on why this has happened.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I prefer accountability. Otherwise things never get better.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

No you prefer to be on a high horse. Your real human persona behind the screen prefers to be an edgelord.

This has nothing to do with accountability. You want Black communties to trust outsiders, give them a reason. We gave the Jewish people their own sovereignty after their oppression because they had a good reason not to trust outsiders. I'm sure you'll never make a statement about them in the same regard in your current troll persona.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol no.

This question is completely subjective, but if I were attempting to be objective, I’d say It might be the worst highly developed wealthy country, but on a grand scale no, Merica is at minimum a top 40 country out of about 200.

The only metric it might rank lower then that is murder rate, in which we are legitimately middle of the pack in the world.

Personally, there’s about 20 countries isn’t rather have magically been born in. So Merica ranks around 20th for TBN.

Mummywrap likes this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, accountability particularly in the way corporate lobbying is rotting our country out from the inside. Lobbyists apparently spend about $6m on average for every member of Congress. Accountability. The absurd notion that corporations are people. Accountability.

Xenon and IBTL like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The freakout is the realization of how we are teetering and the potential for a plummet.

-Plummet in anti corruption and our values
    -Plummet in our human and civil rights
    -Plummet in our economic opportunity
    -Plummet in the state of our natural habitat
    -Plummet in our health
    -Plummet in our safety
    -etc etc

I think most Americans realize this is actually a great country but there is just a freak out realization of how fragile our democracy and way of life is. You put just one madman in charge and have widespread sycophancy, and a lot can happen quick to destroy our way of life.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

USA is a troubled country RELATIVE to the wealth it has. It is nowhere close to the worst country.

Jayzers_100 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

generalthade_03 and B@ffled like this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Objectively speaking we are somewhere in the top maybe third but sinking rapidly. We are number one in starting wars war, destroying the environment(China maybe ). Number one in Covid deaths. BUT we still do pretty well w diversity, civil rights , free speech etc

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

Number one in incarceration of citizens. Typically that at least perception wise feels like a fascist country trait if you lead in that. But obviously context is needed. Still extremely troubling and depressing.

I do love how conservatives believe we need to be more tough on law and order. Guess what, we have more citizens in prison per capita than the communist hell hole of Cuba. https://www.statista.com/statistics...h-the-most-prisoners-per-100-000-inhabitants/

CometsWin likes this.
  11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Not the worst and capable of being the best but aren't.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand this is a hyperbolic thread but as others have said we have some very deep problems but are not anywhere near the worst country. Even among developed countries.

The country besides the US I'm most familiar with is Singapore having lived there and studied the country in grad school. Singapore is government pragmatically and rationally, it's very clean, very low crime, high standard of living, high life expectancy, universal and affordable health care, and has handled COVID-19 very well. That said it also is a repressed society and while not outrightly authoritarian is dominated not just one party but one family. It's a place that legally has free speech but members of the government have used the courts and other state power to punish those who have spoken out against it.

Other countries I've had experience in like Australia and Canada seem to do things well regarding things like health care and gun violence but they also have their own problems with how they deal with minorities particularly their own indigenous people's. In Australia there are also longstanding problems of racism and xenophobia targeting Asian immigrants. For awhile it was so bad that the Indian government warned Indians from going to school in Australia. Also for countries of their population with land areas they are very dependent upon other countries for economic success. Canada is obviously very tied to the US and what happens in the US has a very large effect on Canada. Australia the last 20 years has been very dependent on the PRC and the it has led to both booms and busts in Australia.

Hong Kong for awhile was doing a lot of things well. On many quality of life standards it was as good as Singapore and until recently felt freer in HK than in Singapore. All of that though has changed with the new security law and the HK that was is probably gone..

There is no denying many of the deep problems that the OP pointed out about the US but there is also so much about this country that is great. Social mobility is getting worse in this country but it still is here and given the size of our economy I think we still have many opportunities in all sorts of fields to become successful. Even in countries that are seeing higher social mobility the range of fields is limited because of those countries are physically and economically smaller. We still have the best universities in the World and which is why we still have a massive demand of people to come here and study. The size and federal system of this country gives us far greater mobility to move and change our situation. We have multiple economies and cultures and if you don't like living in New York you can move to Colorado and experience a very different way of life. Also our culture is still the most vibrant and influential in the World, our movies, TV shows, and music still have a very outsized influence on the rest of the World.

We also have incredible natural resources and natural beauty. No country in the World has the amount of natural diversity of different environments and climates. Consider how different things are from Florida to Minnesota and from New England to Arizona.

Finally this was the first country that was founded on philosophy. The Enlightenment philosophy that forms the basis of the Constitution has given us a resilience that few other countries have had while growing to be a superpower. The balance of power between Federal government, states and the people has allowed us to address many problems without suffering wholesale collapse like the French Republics. We fought one civil war but you compare that to the multiple civil wars we've seen in many other countries.

The US has it's failings but so do many other countries. For me I will still take this country over others.

13. fchowd0311

If Trump is reelected, I'm not sure I can say that anymore. Another 4 years of this divisiveness is not sustainable where drastic changes will not happen.

Also, another four years of Trump's enviromental policies makes me shiver at the thought of our future outlook on climate change.

CometsWin likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . and let's not even talk about the history of this country . . . .not this Trump "Patriotic" retelling of history
    but the True history

Rocket River

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will certainly be bad and will a lot of lasting damage. Four years of Trump already has.

I will reserve the right to change my mind, but if Trump is reelected I have no plan or desire on moving to another country. I am an American and still believe in this country even if I don't in current leadership.

fchowd0311 and CometsWin like this.
  16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Lulz, only 1 in 20 voters in this poll agree with the OP... and it was probably his vote! Might be pitching a shutout!

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, but we probably have the dumbest leader in the world, and certainly the most immature one. As for the modern western world, we definitely have the most dangerous leader.

Jayzers_100 and malakas like this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lmao, I woke up just to see you made 6 posts in my thread already. Newsflash: I didn’t read any of them!

I know that you are trying to annoy/troll me, but it didn’t work! All it has done is made you waste a lot of time! Hahaha

IBTL and CometsWin like this.
  19. Mummywrap

Mummywrap Member

Worst? No. But the days of pointing our fingers at other countries and calling them sh*tholes probably should be curtailed.

Our response to Covid, race relations, and the dismemberment of our freedoms has made this country, well, not that great.

We talk about FREEDOM but we are not the most free country, and we haven't been pre Trump, he just made it worse of course.

Our thirst for drugs doesn't help either. We point at the cartels and the counties that house them as the enemy. In all actuality, we should be looking at ourselves and developing real solutions for our drug problems.

Lastly, we are dumb enough to elect the type of president we have now, and the following I see of this moron and how they want to reelect this "man" after the past 4 yrs of failure leaves me to believe that the race relations are a bigger problem than we realize. "I just want to elect a great businessman" or "I just want to elect a non Washington politician" Yeah sure, I see right through that BS

arkoe, Master Baiter, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Still a heavily influential country with a massive economy, treasure chest of natural resources, center of the film/sports/entertainment industry, melting pot of cultures, etc. However we fall behind in areas like education and healthcare. As a whole I’d give the edge to Canada, Scandinavia, Germany, etc. they’re more culturally homogenous so they’re able to implement progressive change more quickly. It’s a slow grind in our hyper-partisan government.

Of course I’d never move unless things got much worse. The fact that we can discuss these issues (first amendment) on a Houston Rockets forum (world class sports team) alone separates us from much of the world; particularly the third world

fchowd0311 likes this.