1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the USA team really the most talented?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Steve_Francis_rules, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

I have a simple enough question:

Why does everyone in the world (including the Greek players that just beat the USA team) insist on calling the USA players the most talented players in the world simply because they are the best at playing the NBA style of basketball?

Is a player who dominates the NBA game but can't play well in international play really a more talented player than someone who can play well in both situations? Is a player really that talented when all he can do in international play is stand behind the three point line and wait for his teammate to create an open shot for him to miss? Are the most talented players really the ones who have never heard of a backcut or setting screens away from the ball?

I don't want it to sound like I'm anti-USA basketball, because I did want them to win, I just really think even with this new commitment to creating a winning team, the committee has the wrong idea of what real basketball (rather than athletic or NBA) talent is.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, and it doesn't need to be explained.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They're the most physically gifted. That's the only clear edge they have right now, though physical superiority goes a long way in sports. I don't think they are clearly at the top in any other dimension (shooting, passing, ball-handling, team defense, etc.).

4. langal

langal Contributing Member

They are the most talented. Just not by as much as they used to be.

They did it right this time. Basketball is a team sport and this team will get better (they have 3 year commitments).

5. lalala902102001

I'm going to make the bold prediction that team USA will win the Olympics gold medal in 2008.

I think we have the right ideas now. This team just needs to play with each other a little more. They'll get that chance in the Olympic qualifying games next year.

And the answer to the question is yes.

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They're more talented in areas that don't really matter when you're playing in these types of tournaments. They can dribble better, finish better, make the difficult passes, they have more moves in the post, more ways to beat their defender, and they're more athletic. However, what matters in these tournaments are the SIMPLE things like dribbling, passing, shooting, moving without the ball, and knowing your offense, boxing out on the boards, staying in front of your man on defense, and knowing your assignment in a zone defense.

Lebron and Wade combined are more talented than entire Greek team but most of their talent is unecessary, flame on if you must, but all the talent they needed could be found in Jumaine Jones and Raja Bell. I don't want to say that James and Wade don't have the talent Jones and Bell have so I'll just say that they don't use it or they're just not used to using it.

7. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

They are the most individually talented players in the world.

They might not make up the best team, but individually they have the most talent.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

First, this group of players is not the most talented the US can present. They have some top players. But a lost of other superstars aren't there.

Second, even with this group of players, they are still the most talented overall among the other countries. As someone has pointed out, the talent gap is not as large as it use to anymore. It used to be that you could just throw together a group of NBA stars and they could blow everybody out by sheer talent alone. Now maybe you can still do that with all the top players. But about half of the team being "role players," they don't have that wide a gap anymore.

15 years ago, gap between Team USA and the rest of the teams was like the gap between an NBA team and a high school team. Now, the gap is more like a good NBA team and a bad NBA team.

9. high5

high5 Member

I said it before, and I'll say it again - that's BS.

In 1992 Olympics (14 years ago), 2nd to the original Dream Team was Croatia. That team featured Drazen Petrovic, Toni Kukoc, Dino Radja and many other European stars at the time. That team blows ANY of today's international teams competing at WC.

The fact is that US today doesn't play with the best of the best. Other thing is that today's NBA superstars aren't nearly fundamentaly sound players like NBA superstars from 10+ years ago. Grecce beat US by executing basketball fundamentals perfectly. What did US do when they found themselves behind? They relied on individual efforts and brute force of their physical ability. That's NOT the way to play international bball.

So IMHO this 'talent gap' story is just an excuse, and a poor one.

So US needs either to come with the best of the best, or create a team around 2 or 3 superstars and surround them with more 'Battier's' and develop team chemistry.

10. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

They have the qualities that are best suited to what we know as the NBA rules today.

It is ludicrous to call an NBA team a world champion. It is absolutely ridiculous to say that the MVP is the best player in the sport of basketball.

Just like in soccer, the U.S. focuses on developing their players with the same techniques. Improving muscle groups, adding dimensions, etc etc... All that is great, however, that's not how the game of soccer is played either. Teams worldwide engage their players in technical training and stamina exercises. Then among the most creative and fit, they decide who are the best physical specimens.

Clearly, the same thing is happening in basketball. Europeans seem to have developed the mental aspect of the game, and focus on improving their passing, help defense, and making open shots. Now, more creative players have come into play, and they have adopted the American style, and used it to defend the Americans rather than using it to attack them.

This trend won't stop, and it is impossible to figure out who will be effective on the international scene by watching NBA games. So this trial and error process on the international scene will continue until enough games have been played internationally to be able to tell who really works against other competition through an observation process.

Till then, I think it's important to be fair and admit that in the competition which features countries of the world, the US is a contender but are clearly not the best team in the world.

I think it's a good idea for the NBA to send the highest seeded NBA team with no international players to this tournament. At least they can impose a STYLE on other teams, and have consistency and continuity. It will definitely have at least one superstar, and will surely be a playoff team. I think it would work perfectly for the US .

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yes, we're more talented. The reason we lose is because the NBA is a one on one or two on two league, and international basketball is a 5 on 5 game. The rules are different, and you have to play differently to be successful.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I disagree, I don't think they are the most talented team.

Part of "talent" is knowing your role and playing team basketball.

The USA has great individual players, but they are not the most talented team.

Where is their floor general or pass first PG, the person who sets the team up with amazing assists?

Where is the lights out shooter? Where is the low post presence? Where is the high post center who can shoot the 3pt shot (Well Brad can but he was on the bench).

The NBA is not conducive towards success in world competition.

DD

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This USA team easily had the most talent. Their top 12 blows away any other team's top 12. Not even close.

What they don't have is team maturity & cohesiveness. The players on this team were very young and didn't adjust very well to the FIBA style. Wade, Melo, LeBron have made huge steps in the last two years. They will be even better next time. Chris Paul and Dwight Howard will also be significantly improved. I also believe our coaching staff will impose a better 1/2 court offense than the 1 on 5 iso we've seen. If Kobe Bryant and Michael Redd join the team it will improve.

Young players, very little time playing together while the other teams have played together in many competitions over the years and a coaching staff that was not prepared (IMO) led to the breakdowns that killed us. Our 2008 team will be much better and I predict they will win the gold.

Coach K better figure out some 1/2 courts sets that work against packed in zones or he should resign. I blame the coaches more than the players, who clearly cared and play with a lot of effort. I also cut the coaches some slack because they had so little time. Next year and in 08 our team had better look like a team and be able to make in-game adjustments. In the long term for 2008, it may be a good thing we have to qualify in Venezuela next year.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I also give props to the team from Greece who were clearly talented enough to punish the clueless USA defense. The "talent gap" has closed big time which is why the USA cannot win without playing as a team. As long as the NBA season means so much more for USA players than international competition, we will always be at a big disadvantage. This will NEVER happen, but a shortened NBA season (maybe 70 games) during the WC and Olympic years that would allow Team USA to put in more time together would help the cause tremendously. The marathon grind NBA regular season and extended playoff format, which causes the coach of Team USA to limit the minutes of our best players, is like a flat tire to the team.

15. DaDakota

Wait a minute?

I don't buy any of the cohesiveness baloney....none of the other international teams stay together for the whole year.

All of their players are spread out on various teams and leagues as well.

The USA does not have the proper MIX of talent.

We need:

Bigs that can shoot
    PG that can penetrate
    SG that can shoot jumpers

We have too many one on one players, and not enough team players.

To get the cohesiveness you need the RIGHT mix....the USA doesn't have it.

DD

16. high5

high5 Member

How many different players have been through US team over the past 3 big competitions?

How many coaches/assistants?

Count them all up and compare the figures to other international teams and maybe you'll figure it out. Also factor in that European teams participate in another big event every two years.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thank you.

DD, I agree the USA didn't field the best team it could have and the mix could have been better. But there is little doubt the players we sent would have won this competition if they were more familiar with each other as teammates. The proof will be next year and in 08.

And nobody said the other national teams play together all year. Don't know what exactly you were replying to.

18. Steve_Francis_rules

I completely agree with you here. How much time do you have to spend playing basketball with someone to know that maybe you should move around a little while he's dribbling. Cutting, screening, and creating passing lanes does not take that much work together. Hell, good players at a rec center can usually figure that out in a game or two together.

19. DaDakota

I promise you the guys I play with at the YMCA could have stopped Greece's pick and roll....

That was some of the DUMBEST team defense I have EVER seen.......

DD

20. dream2franchise

I think everybody is over-reacting just a little. Yes, the USA played terribly but all they had to do was hit their free throws.

Add a couple of more shooters to the Beijing squad, get the PnR defense down and there's no need to sweat.