1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the upcoming offseason the most "boom or bust" in Rockets history?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Mar 4, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

For sure, this offseason will set the course forward or backwards.

BTW - wanna know why I don't care that KPJ was a young hot head?

DD

xiki likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

No the worst bust off seasons were the summer of melo and summer of westbrick back to back. 2 absolutely pathetic times

If Tilman managed the assets and added actual rotational players the rockets wouldn’t have conceded their chances of being a contender and literally destroying the franchise to what it is now. And folks including my self saw this coming years ago

4. xaos

xaos Member

Rockets have one of the least boom or bust situations.

Our core players are 19-21, we're about to add another core 19-21 year old.

With Rockets potentially owing OKC our picks for the next 3 years, we really need to get past that and the great thing is we have the youth to do that.

Does that mean we should continue to lose? Hell no... we need to start winning some games and start giving both the fans and the players reason to believe. But, to think it's boom or bust is kind of weird for a bunch of kids. It's almost like we forget one of the things when drafting kids is we need to be patient.

The most important thing for this team right now is:
    • Get a competent to great head coach so we do not waste the kids talent
    • Get some vets on the team
    • Get some complimentary players to the guys we're building around
    • Consolidate some of the guys who might not get a chance to shine here
    If we don't win a championship over the next 3 years (about a 0% chance of "boom") it's not bust if we can find guys to build around -- even if that means trading our young guys for a franchise guy or multiple All Stars.

Our best hope is we land Wemby or Scoot, which falls at around 28% chance of happening, but if that doesn't happen we have options to keep rebuilding a core that can eventually win.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He may not have Dream potential, but
    I Shirley don’t envision a nightmare in the future.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or it will preserve the status quo, things can't get worse or pushed backwards, it's pretty much at the bottom.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its an important off-season coming to be sure.

But like most NBA transactions, it may not be clear right away whether its boom or bust.
    Likely, some guys will move on and others will come aboard.
    I really look forward to seeing what out team looks like to start the 2023/24 season.
    I really, really hope it doesn't include Harden.

8. PatBev

PatBev Member

How much money do you think we have to throw at Cam Johnson to sign with us and Brooklyn not match the offer

How much you think we’d have to pay Jordan Clarkson to agree to be backup shooting guard

I’d overpay both those guys on 3 year deals if they agreed to come off the bench

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

The main reason I'm okay with Harden coming back is that, even though I have my doubts about his ability to carry a championship team... I don't think there's any real chance we would contend for a title the next few seasons without him anyway. The kids we've got on the team just aren't there yet. Even if we do get Wemby and he's as good as advertised, well... how long did it take the likes of LeBron and Jordan to make it to their first conference finals, let alone win a championship, anyway? (Answer for the conference finals thing: 4th year in the league for LeBron, 5th for Jordan.)

And I don't see any other superstars clamoring to be on the Rockets, so beggars can't be choosers, you know?

Having Harden on the team would definitely give us an immediate shot in the arm, give the young crew a taste of winning and possibly playoff basketball while they continue to develop.

Reeko and Losmi_34 like this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd be happy with vanvleet who's 5yrs younger and a previous finals mvp (he should have gotten it over kawhi!)

i watch a lot of sixers games and although harden has some great nites, he also looks noticably aged now especially on defense. particularly on transition D, he's absolutely useless. and he'll lose a little bit each year going forward, not to mention the injuries. a lotta miles on that body

we need vets in their late 20's to pair w/ these kids

xaos likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Van Vleet has as many Finals MVPs as I do. He's also just as likely as me to shoot over 40% from the field in an NBA season.

He's a nice player when on a moderate contract, but that's it.

Corrosion and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Definitely boom or bust.. Getting Wems changes things exponentially.. So many variables hinges on it.. Without him, we will become the Sacremento Kings of old..There's no proof that keeping this current core will equate to success in the near future

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Unless there is Wemby I would say that it be a meh offseason.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he's actually averaging above 40% FG for his career :D

15. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

Great thread, props to OP!

IMO it is a boom or bust offseason, and there are so many potential routes to take, especially with the recent Harden news.

The org needs to shake things up, and take the rebuild to a new level. We have good pieces, and with good coaching and discipline We would be playing much better.

If I was Stone I would be focused on getting Kenny Atkinson, whatever the cost. We need structure and as much as it pains me to type it, because I hate them soooo much, GSW are a level above everyone else in terms of play style. I watched the LAC GSW game last night, and in the 3rd they absolutely crushed the Clips. Their ball movement, off ball movement and hustle feeds their 3pt shooting, and that's regardless of who is on the floor. We need to get KA to put our guys in schemes like that. We should be using all available resources to get him and give him the keys. I'm not getting into the draft talk unitl We know our picks, so I'll skip to the FA part.

The FA class is pretty underwhelming. Harden is by far the best choice and probably a thing that happens this summer. Looking at the rest of the list, I don't really see anyone there who can make as big of an impact on this franchise.

With this much smoke, it's a big possibility James is back this summer. If that's the case, We are in a good spot. Nail the HC hire, and We're back in business. I'm excited to see this off season unfold, but I'm having doubts about our front office being able to deliver.

Y2JT likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I know, I was exaggerating. He's obviously also much close to a Finals MVP than I am to a Summer League Tryout MVP.

But the point is he's nice value player. If he were a floor lifter - a guy who can help out skilled but young players - then the Raptors would be better than they are. But the truth is the Raptors need a better PG because FVV ain't that guy, so I don't see why he'd be that guy here. He's a really bad offensive player and his defense doesn't make up for it enough to pay him big dollars.

I'd be all for him on an MLEish type deal as our 3rd guard, but that's it.

Corrosion, YOLO and jordnnnn like this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, and its a more risky game looking for some future FA that might never exist. Like what are we hoping for here? That Luka or Tatum or Ja or something will hit FA? This is unlikely, if they want off their team they will just demand to be traded.

The days of a superstar hitting FA in their prime are gone I think. What the new rules allow means superstars will always re-sign with their teams to get the supermax and if they want a new team they'll just demand for a trade...so the best way to acquire superstar players from other teams is to make yourself an attractive option for players to play for.

Saving cap space for a superstar that might not ever hit the market is what the Knicks have been doing...

18. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Drafts mean nothing if the culture is terrible and no one is developing. That’s where we are.

19. xaos

xaos Member

To reiterate

Most important thing this offseason:

• Get a competent to great head coach so we do not waste the kids talent

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Agreed. I want no part of FVV unless he’s on a contract that he likely won’t ever agree to. He’s just not that good,

dmoneybangbang likes this.