1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Timeline now to......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Dec 9, 2021.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

Pick up another player and dare I say, make a run for a Playoff spot? With our core players developing, I think it's time for Stone to make a move. I think the next 5 opponents on their schedule will determine a lot moving forward but I think it could be time to make that move.

Our core is between 19 - 26 and if we can add a young veteran 6'10" athlete , who can run the court, shoot the 3 and defend....It's GAME ON! We have the assets to make it happen but do you pull the trigger now or wait until the draft??

Wood - 26
    Tate - 26
    Matthews - 25
    KPJ - 21
    Brooks - 23
    Sengun - 19
    Green - 19
    JC -19
    Garuba - 19

2. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Green hasn't shown much of anything to build around, JC has had one good game in the NBA, Sengun looks special but banking on him becoming the next Jokic is foolish. KPJ hasn't had an efficent season in the NBA yet, and the bulk of this win streak came with our youngins out and vets playing 33+ minutes per game.

A playoff push, and buying at the deadline, will result in 35 wins with Gordon and Wood coming off the roster in a year or two. Doesn't help that John Wall's contract all but caps us out.

IvanLCPM, topfive, aaquaa and 13 others like this.
  3. NewAge

NewAge Member

I want to see a few losses with this rotation to make-up my mind. We're on a 7-game win streak, but it was mostly from tough-minded inspired basketball against soft schedule. I want to see how we look in losses to estimate the talent gap from the top of the West.

If we play the same style of tough basketball but get destroyed due to massive talent deficit, then maybe don't push your chips-in but stay the course.
    If our losses are due to a particular minor deficiency, then maybe we try to fill-it in on the trade market and go for it.

I can't say for now.

4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i don't think much has changed with the rockets. We are trying to develop our rookies while show casing our assets. The win streak is good because the better our assets look at the trade deadline, the higher it will be. They are just trying to see who they want to hold onto and what they're willing to trade others for. We are years away from contending and own our pick next year. We are still going to develop green even if it means losing. The only thing that's really changed is my opinnion is that we need to find away to clear a spot for matthews. I believe that wood and gordon are available at the right price. I wouldn't pay wood more than 20 million a year on his extension. He's not a good enough post player. If he asks for too much, i believe the rockets will ship him off. I believe that we'll still showcase KPJ to see if he's worth keeping and he's also available at the deadline in the right trade.

i think that everybody except Green, Sengun, and Jaygup are on the table. We are simply waiting for all the dominoes to fall, and perhaps injuries on contenders to get the highest price on certain players. then we'll resign matthews and continue to develop our players.

next year we go all out.

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nope nope nope.

You cannot do two things as a GM right now:

-Get distracted by feel good wins, and team chemistry if that team has no shot in hell of winning in a deep playoff run
    -Deny a young team the ability to have feel good wins, team chemistry, and culture with some of the veterans also having success

So a trade I wouldn't make right now.... trading guys like Tate, Matthews, and Brooks (likely role players) for draft picks.

A trade I would make right now.... trading Christian Wood for a good first round pick.

The reason I wouldn't make the first trade is because it would hurt the team in the short, and the return is minimal. These players might be maximizing their potential now, and have a limited ceiling, but you CANNOT just have an asset accumulation mindset in this period.

NOW... The reason why I WOULD trade Wood right now is because Sengun is waiting in the wings to take over and maybe even outperform Wood.

So it's a balancing act, and you take all things into consideration. So no... I wouldn't trade for a player like Christian Wood that on paper looks like he'd help you win. I would actually be looking TO TRADE someone like Christian Wood if there's a young player who has shown that he's ready to produce now.

The big question marks are - "What about EG??" and "Well are KPJ and Green really ready?"

I'm in the camp of go ahead, and trade EG if a trade is there, and at the same time I know that putting KPJ and Green back in the prominent roles they had means the likelihood that the team could suck again.

steddinotayto and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They will go on for a 10 plus winning streak because they own Eastern teams for some reason.

And there is only the Memphis game without Morant as the only Western team in like the next 10 games.

Away games at Hawks, at Bulls, at Hornets, at Milwaukee are tests though.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Of the 7 game win streak, 4 were vs legit playoff teams.

Bulls, Hornets, Pelicans, Nets

I BELIEVE!

DJ and hakeem94 like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

How many actual wins do you need before this trade Wood mantra is exposed for the idiocy it is?

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

You want to keep your wins at a minimum this year and develop the young guys as much as possible. Get a top 5 pick and then decide who can be traded. Its too early to get rid of Wood

Obvious trades are for Gordon, before he picks an injury and is playing his best basketball

House, cuz hes useless

Nwaba, no impact on team

Theis, there are others at his position that are younger and play better

ilias, Streakshooter and Dobbizzle like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The answer is and always has been

Benjamin Simmons!

fattz and D-rock like this.
  11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Did I miss Sprangz / KMJ / Martin Jr? Or was that a notation that he is not valued?

Dobbizzle and D-rock like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

This.

The dirty secret is the anti rebuilders are just folks happy to make the play in tournament and get a little chatter.

Rockets should be trying to create another era of playoff berths instead of being like the Spurs….. volatile winning and losing streaks. Trying to retool instead of rebuild after losing your HOF players.

dobro1229 and Tuckankhamun like this.
  13. raining threes

I would trade for the 6*10 type guy you're describing. But not to try to make the playoffs this season. Those type guys are rare.

BTW, I'm hatwith EGo but would look to move him before he gets hurt again.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Hornets are 14-13 and would be out of the playoffs right now if not for the play in.

New Orleans is 7-20.

Chicago & Brooklyn are the only legit playoff teams they have beaten.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why is a team that is currently in the playoffs due to a change in the NBA rules not a current playoff team?

D-rock likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Must of misread Pelicans W-L.

But other 3 are spot on.

#16 D-rock, Dec 9, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Streakshooter likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

9 and 10 seeds shouldn't be playoff teams. The NBA playoffs were bloated enough already with 16 teams, you could reduce the NBA playoffs to 12 teams and lose nothing.

The play-in is a cheap cash grab for incompetent owners and front offices who refuse to tank and aren't smart enough to get good.

astrosrule and dmoneybangbang like this.
  19. ballgame

ballgame Member

NO WAY I TRADE WOOD for just a good first round pick! The guy had 12/15/3 on a bad night and you want to trade him for that? No way! However I do think they have assets they can trade; EG, House, Nwaba, Thies, 1st and 2nd rnd picks.

I think there are several players that can fit the need of a 6'10 player who can run the court, shoot 3's and play defense; Kevin Knox, Jonathan Issac, OG Anunoby, Precious Achiuwa or Pascal Siakim. They fit the timeline of the current roster makeup and I think it would put us in the top 4 of the West. Outside of Phoenix and GS, nobody else is playing spectacular.

NewAge likes this.
  20. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

The list you just provided shows just how insane those requirements are. Knox is a certified bust at this point, Isaac can't stop getting injured, Precious can't shoot, and a trade for OG or Siakam has to start with Christian Wood.