1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Southwest division going to be the best division in sports next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jun 28, 2014.

1. bmd

bmd Member

The only bad team in the division last year was the Pelicans. And now they are going to be healthy AND have Asik.

They won 34 games last year and were DECIMATED by injuries. They could have probably won at least 6 more games if not for injuries last year, and they will probably win a few more next season just from Davis being improved and the team playing together last year and being more familiar with their coach's system. PLUS, they now have Asik. He should add at least 5 wins by himself.

There is no reason why they can't be a 45-50 win team.

Spurs
    Rockets
    Grizzlies
    Mavericks
    Pelicans

Those are all solid top to bottom.

Toughest division in sports?

1 person likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yes, sadly. I can see New Orleans making the playoffs. But I see Mavs sucking more so there's that.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Luckily the NBA doesn't determine who goes to the playoffs the same way that the NFL does.

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I don't think New Orleans will make the playoffs but I can see them (healthy) winning 40-45 games.

Rockets need to push for Lowry now. Im not high on Carmelo as a player or waiting for him to (slim to none) choose the Rockets over the Knicks, Bulls.

Build the team with Lowry, the MLE, BAE and then try and package Lin, Parsons, Jones, picks for Love or another big time player.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Are three of the teams from Texas? I would say yes.

1 person likes this.
  6. bmd

bmd Member

Really? You only see them winning 40-45 games?

They won 34 games last year and were decimated by injuries more than any team in the league.

Anthony Davis missed 16 games.
    Jrue Holiday missed 48 games.
    Jason Smith missed 51 games.
    Ryan Anderson missed 60 games.
    Tyreke Evans missed 10 and played injured a lot.

I mean, their whole starting line-up was injured for a good part of the season.

Now, they are all going to be healthy and they now have a legitimate center in Asik.

I think all of that is worth more than only an increase of 6 to 11 wins.

I'd say the bottom is +11 wins. so 45-50 is probably more accurate in my opinion.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Already is the best division in basketball.

Pelicans still on the outside looking in.

San Antonio
    Oklahoma City
    LA Clippers
    Portland
    Houston
    Golden State
    Memphis
    Dallas
    Phoenix

Minnesota
    Denver
    New Orleans
    Sacramento
    LA Lakers
    Utah

8. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

It's been the best division in basketball for years now.

Spurs and Mavericks being the two top dogs in the past with Memphis and Houston now challenging. New Orleans looks formidable now as well.

Could a whole division make the playoffs? That would be a sight to see and maybe possible this next season and in the recent future.

Spurs
    Thunder
    Clippers
    Rockets
    Grizzlies
    Blazers
    Mavericks
    Pelicans

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Good thing divisions don't matter in the NBA, but would be interested to see all the SW teams make the playoffs.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Could be wrong, but I don't think an entire division has made the playoffs together.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It has been the best division in sports for about 10 years now....

1 person likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

NBA divisions don't matter... not sure why they still have them, and not sure why people make a big deal about them.

13. bmd

bmd Member

Well they do matter a little.

14. bmd

bmd Member

To elaborate, the 3 division winners in each conference automatically get a top 4 playoff spot.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

That and you without a doubt have to play the rest of your division 4 times each, while you generally play the rest of the leagues teams either 2 or 3 times. Great when you are in the east or the rest of your division sucks, not so great when you are in the southwest division.

NO was already 7 games better than any other team at the bottom of their division last year and with Asik and some better injury luck should improve quite a bit.

16. bmd

bmd Member

Yep, good point. Playing in the SW division can hurt playoff seeding which means a tougher match-up in the first round.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I can see the Pelicans being the worst team in the division, winning 48 or 49 games and still missing the play-offs! This division is going to be damn tough!