1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is the Rockets a well coached team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daoshi, Dec 18, 2002.

?

Is the Rockets a well coached team? Please state your reason.

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Vinny

Vinny Member

I think a lot of Yao's fast adjustment to the game must come from excellent coaching of Rudy T, and Larry Smith. If you have noticed, Yao plays more with his knees bent now. When he first came over he was upright and stiff. In the more physical NBA game, a player needs to use leverage and you can not move guys when you are standing stiff as a board. Ming has a lot of good footwork from his years playing in China that Rudy, and Larry is combining with their own great insight as to how to attack the post. Larry Smith, and Carol Dawson are supposed to be great teachers for big men. Ming looks like he is MUCH more aggressive lately. I think Larry Smith needs some kudos for this.

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here..........My apologies

2. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Okay, okay, the poll should be
    Are the Rockets a well coached team?

It seems like this poll turned into a poll for "Is Rudy a good coach?", which was not what I intended to ask. There are other threads for that, I gave Rudy A- in one of those threads.

My definition of a well coached team is as following...
    (1). Discipline
    Players always play under control, don't play outside of the boundary.

(2). Know your role
    Players have to know their roles, don't do things not supposed to.

(3). On-Court adjustment
    Always on top of the situation, making right adjustment based on the game situation.

My list of well coached teams are,
    Utah --- win or lose, they are always play the same way
    Sactown --- best team-oriented execution
    Mavs --- make any move outside the playbook, Nelson will sit your ass down!
    Spurs --- very consistant
    Sonics --- maybe it's GP, but plays under control most of the time.
    Lakers --- win or lose, PJ's team always has a consistant system.
    Rockets --- beautifully executed last second plays; very consistant offense last night. (I only watched 3 games this season)

3. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I definitely think so. Does anyone honestly disagree that Yao Ming wouldn't have improved that fast if it was not for the coaching he received from the Rockets staff?