1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Rockets a well coached team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daoshi, Dec 18, 2002.

?

Is the Rockets a well coached team? Please state your reason.

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I want to put this out before the game.

Based on what you have seen so far, particular after tonight's game, do you think the Rockets is a well coached team? Please state your reason...

2. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Rockets are a well coached team because Rudy is a damn good coach. As heypartner has mentioned before, this team has great chemistry...you never see anybody griping...and its not easy coaching a team so young. They are right in the thick of the playoff hunt with a rookie being one of their top 3 players and a leader who's never been there before. No other coaching squad could do what Rudy's squad has done. Wait till Mr. Mean rubs off on Yao and EG more!!!

By the way...I was only the 2nd vote here. Why did you, daoshi, vote the way you did?

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"Is the Rockets a well coached team?"

In the words of Tony Montana,

"No, Okay. F**K No."

4. daoshi

It must be an error. I haven't vote yet.:confused:

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You were the second poster here. You don't have to post to vote. Some people voted before you posted.

BTW, there's a much better poll here: http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47866 where you can give a grade to the coaching, instead of just yes or no.

6. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I apologize daoshi. Given your history, I thought that "no" vote was yours. Again, my bad.

7. daoshi

It's okay. I wanted to vote NO before tonight's game, but kept my judgement until after the game.

The reason for a NO has been well documented in many other threads, the Rockets are not a very disciplined team. A non-disciplined team cannot be called a well coached team.

However, I decided to vote YES after tonight's game. This is not because the Rockets won the game. It's the persistant execution down the stretch in 4qtr made me change my vote.

In the 4qtr, when the Pacers made the run, the Rockets consistantly feeded the ball to the post again and again, I believe that's the plan called by Rudy, which was executed beautifully.

BTW, I thought Cat played a good game despite his horrible shooting in the first three qtrs. You have to keep shooting when you are a shooter, as long as you don't force them.

8. prettyricky

prettyricky Member

I think Utah's staff are light years ahead of Houston; They have young players that are not as talented as Houston's but get equal if not better results. I know stockton helps make them look good, but they also made average players like shandon, eisley, foster, and maybe ostertag look like pieces of a championship team. Even though their stars get older they look like an oiled machine.

Ditto, for Sacremento.

9. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I don't think Houston's all that great coaching but not sure if Utah's much better when you consider they have an incredible point guard ( who's incredibly dirty...). If you don't have to teach your point guard how to play you solve alot of Houstons rough spots right there, and Utah hasn't had to deal with that since they've had Stockton..

10. daoshi

Well, we have a 30% advantage for YES, so the Rockets is a well coached team.

11. SLA

SLA Member

The Rockets are a well-coached team. Rudy Tomjanovich has a lot of experience from coaching big men. Maybe he just got lucky. And we have used the same play at the end of regulation a couple of times... our defense is great though. I like Rudy because he is a nice and relaxed guy. He doesn't complain on national television about the crappy referees although the referees have made many bad calls. They should have instant replay stuff like in the NFL. And our coach has a good relationship with the team. He's been with the Rockets franchise forever. I guess all the players like him. Rudy would probably be intelligent enough to call a timeout when his star player was limping badly and probably would not let him play if it was serious. He would know that it would lead to a worse injury or sprain. I think that the Dallas Mavericks have the best coaching staff.

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

There are several different type of good coaches:

There are
    the strategists
    the personality babysitters
    the motivators

Rudy is the 2nd. He's good at taking a core unit and blending their personalities.

His X's and O's are mediocre.

I can point to a number of things - every game has some major weaknesses waiting for the other team to exploit

Why aren't we double teaming Jermaine O'Neal everytime leaving the hapless Jamaal Tinsley to brick a shot,

Why do we have Cato, T Morris, Moochie Norris, and Mo taylor all in at the same time, none of whom can score - etc etc....

13. SLA

SLA Member

It was pretty sad yesterday. Neither team could make a basket. Our solution was...Yao! Morris and Norris are okay, but they just can't score by themselves. Moochie is always open but always hesitates to shoot. But you still gotta love Moochie and his hair. He makes Clutch shots all the time.

14. run-bdp

run-bdp Member

Are! Are!

Are the Rockets a well-coached team?

Considering the blunders of Francis and Mobley last night... no.

15. Woofer

I think Rudy is good at making sure most guys feel comfortable playing for him, and using a super talented big man to exploit mismatches with the ball or off the ball with double teams. Everything else is pretty suspect.

16. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Have you ever heard a player that played for Rudy complain about his coaching? I haven't, and his strengths definitely outwiegh his negatives.....look at when we were the 6th seed and we were known as Clutch City, everyone was so awesome, but there was some awesome coaching being done there too--haha give it to Hakeem every play down, but seriously there was.

17. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

I voted yes, but I kind of believe RT might be better suited as a GM than a coach. He has the eye for talent, and as stated before can blend guys egos and personaliteis extremley well, but the X and Os are pretty suspect at times.

18. Woofer

It's taken about three years, but Cat seems to be in control, at least judging from last nights game. After his long, initial cold streak, he had the opportunity to take some wild shots when he had the ball (to try to make up for it), but he passed when he was well covered and didn't have an opening into the lane, and waited until he got the ball in a better position in the fourth and shot. Last year he would have jacked it up anyways no matter how many mofos were on him or if he was open or well covered. I hope this is progression and not just some oddity, because just from stats, some games this year Cat hasn't been taking very many shots with the 40+ minutes he's getting this year. Last year it was reminiscent of Mad Max shooting wise.

19. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

The coaches job is tough. Dealing with so many personalities is like being an analyst- Psych.

In the '95 run against San Antonio - SA had the better team by far, but Rudy made adjustments through the series that kept us in it. As great as he was, Hakeem could not do it alone- he needed coordinated support, and Rudy facilitated that.

In the '95 run against Phoenix, Phoenix had the greater talent and greater team. Phoenix had a player's coach in Paul Westphal. Rudy made adjustments in the series that won the series for us.

Rudy overcame alcoholism, a near fatal injury, and a reluctance to become the head coach to achieve great things.

I like and respect Rudy - we are lucky he is our coach......

20. tsl99

tsl99 Member

U guys need to take a look what Lary Brown's team doing before answering this question.