1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is the Pope a racist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Sep 15, 2006.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you trying to seriously make a point or are you just trying to display your lack of intelligence?

[​IMG]
    Angry Pakistani Muslims chant slogans after setting on fire the effigy of Pope Benedict XVI during a rally to condemn Pope's remarks, Saturday, in Karachi, Pakistan.

Pope 'sincerely regrets' offending Muslims; but no full, personal apology

16, 2006 - 3:44 pm

By: FRANCES D�EMILIO

VATICAN CITY (AP) - Pope Benedict "sincerely regrets" offending Muslims with his reference to an obscure medieval text that characterizes some of the teachings of Islam's founder as "evil and inhuman," the Vatican said Saturday.

But the statement stopped short of the full, personal apology being demanded by Islamic leaders around the globe, and anger among Muslims remained intense. Palestinians attacked five churches in the West Bank and Gaza over the pontiff's remarks Tuesday in a speech to university professors in his native Germany.

In a broader talk rejecting any religious motivation for violence, Benedict cited the words of a Byzantine emperor who characterized some of the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad as "evil and inhuman," particularly "his command to spread by the sword the faith."

The pontiff didn't specifically endorse that description, but by repeating the words and not questioning them he set off a firestorm of protests across the Muslim world.

The new Vatican secretary of state, Tarcisio Cardinal Bertone, said the Pope's position on Islam is unmistakably in line with Vatican teaching that says the church "esteems" Muslims.

Benedict "thus sincerely regrets that certain passages of his address could have sounded offensive to the sensitivities of the Muslim faithful and should have been interpreted in a manner that in no way corresponds to his intentions," Bertone said in a statement.

Bertone said the pontiff sought in his university speech to condemn all religious motivation for violence, "from whatever side it may come."

Bertone's statement, released Saturday by the Vatican press office, failed to satisfy critics.

Mohammed Bishr, a senior Muslim Brotherhood member in Egypt, said the statement "was not an apology" but a "pretext that the Pope was quoting somebody else as saying so and so."

"We need the Pope to admit the big mistake he has committed and then agree on apologizing, because we will not accept others to apologize on his behalf," Bishr said.

There was no indication whether the Pope would do so. His first public appearance since his return from Germany was set for Sunday, when Benedict planned to greet the faithful at Castel Gandolfo, the papal summer residence in the Alban Hills near Rome.

Morocco recalled its ambassador to the Vatican on Saturday to protest the Benedict's "offensive" remarks, and Afghanistan's parliament and Foreign Ministry demanded the Pope apologize.

Turkey cast some doubt on whether Benedict could proceed with a planned visit in November in what would be the pontiff's first trip to a Muslim country.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan insisted the Pope apologize to the Muslim world, saying he had spoken "not like a man of religion but like a usual politician."

Asked if Muslim anger would affect the Pope's trip to Istanbul, where he hopes to meet with Orthodox leaders headquartered there, Erdogan replied: "I wouldn't know."

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, spiritual leader of the world's 200 million Orthodox Christians, issued a statement saying he was "deeply" saddened by the tensions sparked by the Pope's comments.

"We have to show the determination and care not to hurt one another and avoid situations where we may hurt each others' beliefs," the Istanbul-based Patriarchate said.

Turkey's top Islamic cleric, Religious Affairs Directorate head Ali Bardakoglu, welcomed the Vatican statement.

In an interview posted late Saturday on the website of Germany's Der Spiegel magazine, Bardakoglu, who had earlier called on Benedict to apologize, said: "He says that he respects Islam and didn't want to hurt the feelings of Muslims. I find that a civilized position."

"But I also hope that the Pope understands our criticism and thinks about it," he added.

Bardakoglu also criticized those who responded by attacking churches, saying: "Muslims must learn to express their reactions sensibly, to think and act rationally."

The grand sheik of Cairo's Al-Azhar Mosque, the Sunni Arab world's most powerful institution, condemned the Pope's remarks as "reflecting ignorance."

Adnan Husain, professor of history of Islam and interfaith relations at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont., said he's concerned about the ramifications of the pontiff's comments, which he said reinforce widespread and incorrect stereotypes about Islam.

"I am very concerned about how this reinforces stereotypes, but particularly, how it sharpens a sense of religious conflict and cultural clash during these times when there is a stated war on terrorism taking place " Husain said.

"Very often, this is characterized as a war on Islam in right-wing conservative circles and it's also increasingly perceived that way among Muslims, so this certainly adds fuel to the fire."

Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, whose Southeast Asian country has a large Muslim population, demanded that Benedict retract his remarks and not "take lightly the spread of outrage that has been created."

In a first reaction from a top Christian leader, the head of Egypt's Coptic Orthodox Church criticized the Pope. "Any remarks which offend Islam and Muslims are against the teachings of Christ," Coptic Pope Shenouda was quoted as telling the pro-government newspaper Al-Ahram.

The Shiite Muslim militant group Hezbollah and Lebanon's top Sunni Muslim religious authority also denounced the Pope's comments.

British Muslims sought to calm the situation there, praising the Vatican statement on behalf of the Pope.

"We welcome his apology and we hope now we can work together and build bridges. At the same time we would condemn all forms of violent demonstration," Muhammad Umar, chairman of Britain's Ramadhan Foundation, a youth organization, told Sky News.

But Muhammad Abdul Bari, general secretary of the Muslim Council of Britain, said the pontiff needed to repudiate the emperor's views he quoted to restore relations between Muslims and the Roman Catholic Church.

In India, Telesphore Cardinal Toppo, who is president of the Indian Catholic Bishops Conference, said the Christian community in that country must face Muslim protests over the Pope's speech "with Christian courage and prayer because truth needs no other defence," the Vatican-affiliated news agency, AsiaNews, reported.

http://www.news1130.com/news/international/article.jsp?content=w091645A

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Pope Security Beefed Up After Islamic Threats

Politics: 16 September 2006, Saturday.

Security measures in the Vatican and Pope Benedict XVI's summer residence will be beefed up for the traditional Sunday mass, after threats appeared in Islamic web sites. The Pope apologised Saturday for his quote of 14th Century Christian emperor Constantine who said the Prophet Muhammad had brought the world only "evil and inhuman" things, saying that it was taken out of context. Still, many Islam followers, including the leaders of some nations, took his words literally and were deeply offended. Turkey has warned the Pope that he'd better cancel his upcoming visit to the country, as the winds have turned against him. Italian media have reported of a number of web sites of various organizations that threaten the pontiff, Rome and the church. Earlier on Saturday a group under the name of "Lions of Monotheism'' claimed responsibility for firebombs that scorched the walls of two churches at the West Bank.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=69696

[​IMG]

#122 AroundTheWorld, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm doing everything I can to display my lack of intelligence. That's the reason behind everything I do.
    while I am struggling to show my lack of intelligence, I did note that it was you and not I who lumped protestors at a non-violent protest with violent acts committed by some. And it was you and your own intolerance that decided it was cool to make fun of the cultural practice of having facial hair.

I disagreed with the protestors version of what the pope said, and I certainly disagree with violent acts, but protesting is not the same as burning churches. Perhaps you in your exhalted complex thinking were unable to take note of that.

Again maybe you could explain what point you are making to someone with my lack of intelligence. I'm just too stupid to get it. Because so far you have shown protests and posted articles about violence and violent threats.

Those are seperate things. Protests are not violent acts even if the people in those protests display passion for their stance and are too stupid to know that they shouldn't have facial hair. Maybe your gift to the middle east is to let them know that their uncivilized bears make them look dirty, and like they have bad breath.

You are so far above them. They really could use you to point out such important things to them.

#123 FranchiseBlade, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It says remove the title of the 'Pope' ...nothing violent. You've been watching too much cnn :p .

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Right. First you said there weren't any. Now that I show links which show that there are, you say I am "lumping" them. Just look at them: They protest in an aggressive, threatening manner. Then ask yourself: Is this a display of tolerance? Are these people who are seeking to have a dialog (other than the guy on the cell phone :rolleyes: )? No. Again: These people want to shout down and beat down anyone who does not share their beliefs.

Blah. Dirty beard envy. Whatever.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks. Why would they demand that the leader of another religion gets stripped from his title because he quoted something from an ancient dialogue in a speech which encouraged peaceful dialog between religions? Does this make sense to you? Do you agree with them?

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I never claimed there was no violence. I claimed that not one thing you showed, tied the protestors in your pictures to violence.

I looked at them. They were shouting and angry at what they believed to be offensive remarks. I don't have the same fear of that that you seem to have. They are protesting they don't have to show a desire for a peaceful dialogue, or show that they are the ones who are tolerant.

As I mentioned before protests don't have to be generate a dialogue between protestors and someone else. They can be to bring attention to an issue they feel strongly about. It doesn't make it wrong if their protest isn't supposed to generate a dialogue.

They believe they are an offended party. It isn't their duty to show they are tolerant, or intolerant or either.

Again I find it humorous that someone who makes disparaging remarks about their cultural practice of facial hair is the one upset by their intolerance.

You come off as paranoid, and unable to accept differences from culture to culture.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, because I go out on the street and wave my fist at them having ugly beards. I couldn't care less whether they have a beard or not. It was nothing more than a joke, even though you are obviously unable to grasp that.

As someone having a multicultural background and having traveled to and lived in several countries around the world, I find your comment hilarious.

Yeah, I am paranoid because it bothers me to see churches being set on fire and people issuing death threats because of some remarks. Right. LOL.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It bothers me to see churches set on fire. But you initially posted something about protestors which is an entirely different thing. That is the point I am making. Protesting is not the same as setting churches on fire. Those that protest even if they are angry are not necessarily the same ones that are setting fires to churches.

I understood you were trying to make a joke about their beards. Jokes that disparage another culturals habits are in general not too tolerant.

Too bad that with your multicultural background you still are not tolerant of cultural differences and use disparaging put-down humor to remark on it.

I said you appeared paranoid because the idea of protestors being angry made you jump to the conclusion that they were intolerant and possibly violent. Even in this post you seem unable to seperate the fact that angry protestors are not necessarily the ones who commit the violence.

10. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Wow. Your comments speak volumes. Keep fighting the good fight :rolleyes:

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are dumb. I'm done explaining things to you.

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're a bigot. I am concerned about your mental state.

13. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Once again, your comments speak volumes.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Yes, when they're threats.

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again? We (the US/Americans) make threats all the time. Are we evil and inhumane? I am sick of your double standards. If Islam was your enemy, if Muslims were your enemy, if God was your enemy, then hell would've already been brought upon you. Quit making mountains out of molehills.

16. two-sandwiches

First time political poster.....this is a real treat.

Whether its the Pope or Bush or Saddam or any other leader in this world they have a religious affiliation and in their hearts they believe the others religion is not the true religion....there can never be PEACE in this world because of this fact.

The Pope should have pointed out that Nationalism is against Christianity because it could subject two different nationalists of the same faith to kill each other.

Muslim clerics should be pointing out that the death squads that have been killing others in Iraq is more of a slap in the face to Islam than what any other religions already to be judged as infidels say.

WHY CAN'T PEOPLE BE PEACEFUL and LET THEIR GODS MAKE EVIL DISSAPEAR or is most EVIL the byproduct of SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS breeded by Religion?

All of these people that use religion to justify hurting others are ruining our world for sure but so is the underlying current of separation based on religion, nationalism, race and class.

When I hear the Bush Admin. say "Islamic Fascists" the first thing that pops in my mind is would Christians like it if Hitlers boys were not the Nazis but instead "Christian Fascists"?

I think Christians would not approve because it would bring reproach to Christianity, well I think the Islamic world deserves the same respect.
    ALL OF THESE PEOPLE THAT HURT OTHERS ARE TERRORISTS and THAT'S IT!
    Never give people who do not follow the religion the credit of being affiliated with a peaceful faith.

THE POPE and all of the Religous Zealots and World Leaders should realize that there are many non-religious people on this earth who do not deserve to be caught in the crossfire of their beliefs and the consequences of their beliefs and actions.

AMERICA MAY NOT BE THE PERFECT COUNTRY and I have never been nationalistic in my life, but in America people of different faiths get along every day.....if anything it is non-religous people who face the most discrimination in this country.

People say that without religion people would kill each other in this world...well IMO at this point perhaps that notion is clearly debatable.....not only do people kill each other over religion but then they don't see anything wrong with it.

DON'T GET ME WRONG I DON'T HATE RELIGION, I HATE THOSE WHO USE IT TO CONDONE HURTFUL OR VIOLENT WORDS OR ACTS.

I HAVE FAITH THAT I CAN IMPACT OTHERS AROUND ME WITH TOLERATION and COMPASSION.....how can you change the world if you can't even change your own street.

TOO MUCH FINGER POINTING IN THIS WORLD and not enough self examination. Every moment people spend judging others for what they do wrong they waste a precious moment to inspire others to do what is right.

17. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Holy crap. I read his speech. If anyone reads his speech, they probably wouldn't be mad.

I saw on the news that 5 churches in Europe were burned. My first reaction was intenses raging f in anger. But thats what they want.

Seriously, a personal apology? Read the speech and then apologize to the Pope for comparing him to Hitler.

I feel sorry for these folks. A speech about starting religious dialogue in peace and they burn down five churches. Whoever is controlling the flow of information to these people is an evil b*stard.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Damn aggressive looking threatening looking protestors and their ugly beards. When will they learn to protest like westerners?

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'm not American.

I've hardly posted in this forum or thread. Care to explain what you mean?

20. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Stop with the fake outrage, man. You're one to talk about double standards.

We don't threaten people for talking bad about us. These people are doing just that. If you don't see that difference, I don't know what to tell you.

To again quote from someone else (I forget who) these protestors seem to be saying: "Islam is a peaceful, understanding, moderate and non-violent religion and we will kill anyone who says otherwise."