1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Pope a racist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

DD, didn't agree with you on Carr but I agree on this!

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But it hasn't. Should we assume that Americans are evil because most of our protests turn violent?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Isn't saying "most of our protests turn violent" a horrible generalization?

Most of American protests do NOT turn violent.

In contrast a good many of the protests in the Middle Eastern Muslim countries DO turn violent - due, IMHO, primarily to the fact that they aren't allowed to protest many of their squalled living conditions, and truly they are just angry at their situation.

Azadre, truly I believe that the rest of the world is starting to get desensitized to the Muslims in the world. Which is why I think it imperative that the moderate Muslims take charge and root out the radicals and show the rest of the world that it is a religion of peace. Because the foundation for a war against the Muslim world is being laid brick by brick, and that is not going to be a good thing for anyone but primarily the Muslims if it happens.

DD

#83 DaDakota, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when WW2 ended,
    the japanese concentrated their energy in creating the best technologies in the world. and now they dominate in cars, TVs, nintendos.
    their people are pickachu happy.

any war in the middle east,
    the people only concentrate on revenge or power struggle. therefore, there's always strife and poverty.

see.. technology..its the future

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Protests turn viloent in the Mulsim world....again (Sigh)

"Two churches in the West Bank were hit by firebombs Saturday, and a group claiming responsibility said it was protesting Benedict’s words."

The Western world is starting to get REAL tired of the radical Muslims and is beginning to believe there is something wrong with Islam itself.....the moderate muslims will be lumped in with the Radicals the longer the violence continues and more importantly IS TOLERATED in their world.

DD

#85 DaDakota, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  6. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

What's the solution? Do we need to be more PC when it comes to anything Muslim? Should everyone be stripped of saying anything that can be construed as discriminatory?

Or should we declare a cultural war on Islam and take the gloves off?

Of course, not before securing enough oil....

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The question is, are they being overly sensitive? And if so, you have to look at the roots of that sensitivity.

IMHO, they are being oversensitive, but not because of their religion, but more because of their economic situation. The Middle East is in more desperate need of a middle class than anywhere else in the world.

The rich control the lives of the poor, and blame the west for the poor's plight, IMHO, the USA should have the largest TV tower in the world blasting programming all over the middle east talking about that fact. Show them the positive things that the western world has done for the Muslim community.....Milosivich anyone?

We are not fighting a religion so much as a brain washing of the populace by the men in charge using religion as a way to push their political agenda.

Therefore, we should attack (though propaganda) that establishment. Promote the moderate teachings and degarde the radical.

However, it is looking like the dogmatic world is beginning to paint all of Islam with a broad terrorist brush, and that will not have a happy ending for anyone....in particular the Muslims as the Christians hold all the major weapons.

DD

8. NewYorker

I think they would view such an attempt as propaganda.

I agree it's a rich versus poor issue. Nations such as Malaysia don't have as much problems. Iraq was suppose to be a model for the middle east, and now it's just epitomizes everything that's wrong with the region.

9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

"Christians" hold all the weapons? Are you calling Western nations (the U.S. and Western Europe) "Christian"? LOL! You would be more accurate if you said that they are largely apathetic to Christianity (Christian-by-name or by-birth only), disinterested, and in some cases wholly opposed to it (as is the case in most Western European societies).

You might be talking about the secular world, which -- as you can see -- is unable to find any common ground on a multitude of issues or 'threats' facing the world today. China and Russia aren't Muslim, Europe isn't Muslim, Latin America isn't Muslim, all these nations/group of nations take major issue with U.S. foreign policy and some even consider it an 'enemy'. There is complete division and a lack of any resemblance of 'unity' in the secular world.

Hardly an alliance...but keep dreaming of a 'united Christian world', it's even more laughable than the 'united Islamic world' fantasy that exists in some parts of Muslim-majority societies.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i dont understand why the pope has to apologize when muslim leaders in other countries lead prayers like 'death to america' and call christians 'infidels'?
    if they think he's going to hell and he thinks they are going to hell, what's the point of apologies?

11. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

My parents are very Catholic. My mother used to run the (ccd) sunday school and directed the choir. At their house they have a crucifix over practically every door (except the room I used to have, for some reason). Among other pictures of family members, they have a huge glossy photo of Pope John Paul II.

They don't have a picture of this Pope. I have never heard them mention his name once. When he was chosen and I would bring it up, my mom would change the subject.

Of course, just like the dumb ass cartoon, some Muslims are overreacting to this, but this isnt the first time this Pope (or Joseph Ratzinger) has made comments that were beneath his title.

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Tiger, you read a whole lot into a very little.... no one is saying anything about a "united Christian world" particularly me....as you know my aversion to religion in general.

However to discount the fact that religious people are influential in the major western societies is naive, they are, and most of them are Christian at their core.

Are you saying that GW Bush is not influenced by his faith? Or that Russian leaders are not, or that French or German or English leaders are not?

My point is that most of the western world have the weapons, and that the more the Moderate muslim world continues to Ostrich down and hide in the sand and say "this is not representative of our religion" the more desensitized the secular world gets to Islam in general.

The Extremists ultimatly will hurt more Muslims than anyone else......because the world will start to view all Muslims as terrorists, it is already happening....THAT is my point.

DD

13. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I’m surprised by the number of people in here who think that the Pope’s comments are appropriate. His influence is authoritative; he shouldn’t be making comments as such.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

No, his comments are respected, not authoritative. Not all Christians are Catholic....just a clarification.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Authoritative? To whom?

He was quoting a conversation by people in the ancient world, a dialogue to get to a point about religions not tolerating terrorism in their midst etc, and for religions to respect each other and open up a dialogue.

And, what happens? The Muslim community starts whimpering about why oh why does he say such things? Of course they are taken completely out of context, just looking for any reason to whine about their lives.

DD

16. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'm surprised at the number who think they're racist/religion-ist (to make up a word).

17. NewYorker

Why would he quote someone who was condemning islam, but then not refute it?

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

does the muslim world has a gigantic inferiority complex?

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

We can just call them the "red headed stepchild" of the world.

20. NewYorker

Except that red-headed stepchild is about to get nukes and already has a vicious bite.