1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Pope a racist?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Sep 15, 2006.

1. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i have no problem telling someone to go to hell.

2. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

Look, the concept of religious harmony is just self-contradictory on so many levels it isn't funny. If you're religious, you believe people of other religions are wrong. It's as simple as that. You can love them, forgive them, whatever - but you think they're wrong. Enough with this "interfaith relations" bull****, please. Tolerance is a better word, because that's the most we can expect out of those who "know" that other people are wrong and are incapable of re-evaluating their own beliefs

So the Pope pissed Muslims off with some comments he made. Wow, how shocking :rolleyes: What if he had quoted from the New Testament? I dare say some of the stuff in there doesn't sit well with Muslims either. Would any Christian/Catholic say he was in the wrong? And would any Muslim be less pissed off?

I'm not saying all this to be spiteful or condescending. Just acknowledge this simple point: If you are religious, you are placing more emphasis on your personal beliefs than those of everyone else. And know that no amount of dialogue or understanding is going to change that. Attempts by religious leaders to "bridge the differences" between their faiths are hypocritical at best, due to the simple fact that religious differences can never be bridged.. unless faith wavers. Or, even better, is done away with

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

4. MadMax

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm down with P-O-P-E, yeah, you know me!!!

Hugs and Kisses,

[​IMG]

6. MadMax

wait..i made a promise to myself to stop talking/arguing religion...i'm deleting my last two comments. thanks! :)

7. thegary

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

racist? absolutely not.. did he put down a specific race because of the color of their skin?

aren't we too fast in judging him? he quoted what was written in a book and I would like to see the whole speech to see in what context was it used for first before saying if it was a mistake or an insensitive remark..

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

That's a bummer. And I mean that sincerely. :(

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Next time someone says something bad about my religion, I'm protesting in the streets and burning shi*.

11. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

I'm sorry MadMax.. I know it was me :( I couldn't help myself.. it was.. it was like.. Satan himself! He took control of my hands!! :(

But seriously, dude, don't take offence. You're a poster I respect a lot. Peace.

12. thegary

Always trust yourself and your own feeling, as opposed to argumentations, discussions, or introductions of that sort; if it turns out that you are wrong, then the natural growth of your inner life will eventually guide you to other insights.

Allow your judgments their own silent, undisturbed development, which, like all progress, must come from deep within and cannot be forced or hastened. Everything is gestation and then birthing. To let each impression and each embryo of a feeling come to completion, entirely in itself, in the dark, in the unsayable, the unconscious, beyond the reach of one's own understanding, and with deep humility and patience to wait for the hour when a new clarity is born: this alone is what it means to live as an artist: in understanding as in creating. In this there is no measuring with time, a year doesn't matter, and ten years are nothing.

Being an artist means: not numbering and counting, but ripening like a tree, which doesn't force its sap, and stands confidently in the storms of spring, not afraid that afterward summer may not come. It does come. But it comes only to those who are patient, who are there as if eternity lay before them, so unconcernedly silent and vast.

-RILKE

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

coz "islamic people" in america dont wanna be sent to big cuban jail,and never be heard of again.

on a more serious note, the dude apologized, and even said it wasnt his words, but that he was quoting someone else. So Im not one to hold a grudge, nor are too many american MUSLIMS(not islamic people).

14. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Well at my second daughters baptism the whole service was about we got the golden ticket to heaven and the Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Mormons, Jehovah Witness and every other worldly religion are all going to hell. Plain and simple, right from the pulpit.

Let's see Lutheran minister from a protestant sect that started in Germany, a Pope that is a native German, wait I'm on to something. It is Germany's fault!

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

ever seen the lotus temple in delhi :eek:

16. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

What no song lyrics telling someone to "Go to hell"? :D

17. thegary

If you can play on the fiddle
    Hows about a british jig and reel?
    Speaking kings english in quotation
    As railhead towns feel the steel mills rust water froze
    In the generation
    Clear as winter ice
    This is your paradise

There aint no need for ya
    Go straight to hell boys

Ywanna join in a chorus
    Of the amerasian blues?
    When its christmas out in ho chi minh city
    Kiddie say papa papa papa papa-san take me home
    See me got photo photo
    Photograph of you
    Mamma mamma mamma-san
    Of you and mamma mamma mamma-san
    Lemme tell ya bout your blood bamboo kid.
    It aint coca-cola its rice.

Straight to hell
    Oh papa-san
    Please take me home
    Oh papa-san
    Everybody they wanna go home
    So mamma-san says

You wanna play mind-crazed banjo
    On the druggy-drag ragtime u.s.a.?
    In parkland international
    Hah! junkiedom u.s.a.
    Where procaine proves the purest rock man groove
    And rat poison
    The volatile molatov says-

Pssst...
    Hey chico we got a message for ya...
    Vamos vamos muchacho
    From alphabet city all the way a to z, dead, head

Go straight to hell

Can you really cough it up loud and strong
    The immigrants
    They wanna sing all night long
    It could be anywhere
    Most likely could be any frontier
    Any hemisphere
    No mans land and there aint no asylum here
    King solomon he never lived round here

Go straight to hell boys

18. TracyMcCrazyeye

"
    lol wow that's pretty harsh

19. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

So it's ok to quote a past racist (perhaps even the Ku Klux Klan or Adolf Hitler)? How do you defend the pope and not George Allen?

Hmmm, I smell a nasty double standard.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

was it even a racist quote?

do you have some sort of vendetta to everyone who thought allen's was a racist remark? you were wrong in the allen thread and you were embarrased.. then you lied but just got more embarassed..

its not even close.. look at the poll results..

you could have asked is if his remark was offensive or insensitive or stupid..

so when Bush used the term "crusade" on the war on iraq is that racist? its was stupid, insensitive, and offensive but not racist..