1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the league watered down?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Caesar, May 11, 2016.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He is right its watered down their is no defense because of the rule changes that favor the offense more than ever and its become a perimeter oriented game and that's why you see these playoff series go back and forth. Its hard for a team to consistently shoot well from long range game after game. Thats why the inside oriented teams of the past were usually some of the best because higher percentage shots equaled more consistent results.

Another proof is the fact that Kyle Lowry and Derozen were all stars those two shouldn't be able to get near an all star game without a ticket.

There is also another factor its how teams draft players now the league has become so specialized that teams want players who do one thing well and they don't develop all around players. Its why Leonard is such a blast from the past is because he is good in all facets of the game in an era where there are few very players like that.

2. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Yeah but this isn't the 90s. The 90s ended a long time ago. 90s basketball exist only only YouTube.

There's a whole generation of NBA fans that don't give a crap about the 90s

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i remember when people complained about how much better things used to be a lot better than they do now.

4. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

The makeup of the league has definitely changed.

You can't really refer to lack of Superstars when talking about a watered-down league. They are 2 different things.

Superstar status is about hype, media coverage and reputation. The only on-court measures that mattered back then were traditional stats. It's why stat padders and good dunkers like Nique are considered an all-time great even though he couldn't get far in the playoffs. Hell, put Chuck in that boat too. He did win an MVP though.

At the end of the day, the league is just as competitive as ever. The difference being that the spoils are being shared between the whole team, not just a main superstar. That was evident when this generation's version of MJ from a media sense (Lebron) proved that being a media hype machine Superstar didn't always equal championships. His superstardom couldn't beat the Spurs in the finals, nor the Mavs. Note both the title winning Spurs and Mavs were built on all-around team game. Sure they had "stars" like Dirk, Duncan, Kawhi, but those teams started a new way of thinking that NBA GM's are now striving for (Morey being the exception in his superstar chase).

What this also means is that this generation's "Superstars" are merely elevated because they're style of play fits really well in the team "system". Curry and Kawhi, case in point. This then allows the 90's generation to argue how bad these players would be if they were in the 90's and couldn't make an allstar game.

The problem with that argument is you are just looking at individuals to make your point that this is a watered down league, when the whole point of competitiveness in today's NBA is predicated on total team play. Take the whole team into account, and this league is still very strong. With the analytics movement proving the importance of role players, it lifts the competitiveness up even with less do-it-all stars like MJ/Hakeem/Magic/etc.

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

OK I'm not taking anything from curry he awesome,but u think it tmac point should of been that it is crazy a guy wins it when he doesn't guard the other teams best guy..ever period. He really is just a offensive player when Jordan dream kobe n lebron. Where two way players. U canthink be th r best if u don't take on that responsibility I'm sorry

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I get that the person who said it is a polarizing player, not the best winner but he got a point

I do not care who says it, but what is the content of their agenda.

7. stefanb

stefanb Member

Agreed. They should introduce a lower pay and pay players more money as they win playoff games or championships. Just a thought. I think it would bring back real competition.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Nope. But I like that it takes away from Curry, lol.

Harden
    Curry
    Lebron
    Westbrook
    Durant

Thats about as big time as you can get. As food as the 80's or 90's, possibly even better given most of them are triple doubles nightly.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gc2fG5AnjSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also calls Rockets a sinking ship when asked if Kenny would take the job.

10. tksense

tksense Member

Curry is a very good defensive player, but he is 6'3. When u have taller wings who can smother other taller wings/guards, you do the best for the team and put taller wings on them... It's about physique and roles. Just like Jordan is never out to guard shaq or d-rob... Would u ever complain about that?

Let's get this one in one more time: dubs have tons of other taller options to defend taller players. Curry is just not better than them, but is himself very good.

1 person likes this.
  11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow a player from the end of the 90 beginning 00 should really not talk about quality. That was the worst era in basketball..

12. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

He's right. When T-Mac was a true superstar back in 02/03, All-NBA first team was about three-peat Shaq, Afro-Kobe, MVP-Duncan, Prime KG and T-Mac with Iverson, Dirk and Kidd (two NBA Finals appearences) right behind them. 8 obvious superstars

Modern day's All-NBA first team is zero at center, LeBron, Durant, Curry, Westbrook. Add Kawhi, CP3, Harden and Davis to the list and among those eight players probably "superstar" status is questionable for probably a half of them.

5 to 3 in his days in favor of the West, 7 to 1 now. Cavs are 8-0 in the playoffs, despite the fact that the East is the most powerful for the last 10-12 or maybe even more years

13. likestohypeguy

Lol at the visual of j. Rome's welding hood analogy, t Mac wearing one.

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

What did happen to AntiSonic?

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think the overall level of talent is higher than it was in T-Mac's era. The only era that was even more loaded was the late 80's - if you consider they didn't have the rest of the world to draw from, it's all the more impressive.

The game is less star-based now as well, so for bigs the game has changed dramatically.

Anyway, I'll accept if you think the 80's were more loaded, but I can't accept that T-Mac's era was better. That was one of the low points of NBA history and prompted a slow of rule changes to make the game watchable again.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

I think the 2000's era superstars are better than todays superstars but the 2010's role players are better than 2000's simply because there are more specialized role players that do one thing really good in a team effort. The 2000's had a bunch of guys who thought they could be Michael Jordan and Allen Iverson and all looked to score all the time. The 2000's also saw a lot of failed high school to NBA kids. I want to say the 2000's had more raw athleticism, but less refined skills of todays role players. Today see's much better team players and less ISO selfish basketball. Like i said, the 2000's was everyone trying to be MJ. I fear the 2020s will be the next 2000's with everyone trying to be Steph.

The 2000's had a bunch of players from the mid-late 90's taking over while the 2010's has about 3 guys(LBJ, Durant, CP3) from the 2000's era that are still superstars today(Wade, Melo and Dwight aren't superstars anymore and Dirk is pretty much done as a superstar and the rest suffered injuries). So i think that's why the superstar depth is better in the 2000's. I think it's what makes the 80's and 90's great too. The stars that dominated the 90s all were beasting in the mid to late 80s too. Add tons of veterans who know how to play and older 22 year old rookies who know how to play and you've got a recipe for better basketball talent overall.

17. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

The mid-to-late-80s was one golden age for the NBA. I think the current era is another golden age. The '90s were great for us because of Olajuwon and, of course, Jordan was always fun, but the league itself was nothing amazing. The play style of the league was dull and while it was probably the best big man era ever, I wouldn't call it a magical decade by any means. The 2000s were even worse.

The current era has a flourishing, dynamic play style, ever more sophisticated defensive schemes and plenty of all-time great talents. If you feel that the game is best when it revolves around a classic center, I can see why you'd dislike the current game, but I've never thought that was the most interesting and entertaining style, Olajuwon aside.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Currently, a team has to have three superstarts to win a NBA title. Before, you can have one or two superstarts to win it. Tmac just can not figure it out.

19. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

t-mac owns.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah you bring up good points Mac2Yao. The play style of the 80's was fast paced. The 90s was slow it down, and feed the big man. Today is fun overall i suppose, i just need to take out the Rockets, because Rockets basketball is hideous to watch as a fan.

I personally do love to see a league like the 90s where the pace throughout the regular season is more equivalent to the pace the playoffs is always played at. I think it gives more intense playoff level rivalries in the regular season. I love watching old games from the late 80s and early 90s. Bodies just crashing the boards with no regard for their safety. The beautiful team work and flashy passes from everyone wanting to be like Magic and Bird. So many posterizing dunks.

Watching Olajuwon wasn't the only exception to exciting post play. Jordan in the post was amazing to watch. Barkley, Robinson, Karl Malone and Ewing were not boring to watch do work in the post. Dike and Zo, yes. Most of the greats could face you up too. Shaq just posterizing everyone and he also had an effective baby hook. That wasn't boring. Inside-out should be the way the game is played. The league has always been dominated by big men, and contrary to what Shaq always claims(he says he killed all the big men off), the league killed the big man. It didn't phase them out because it was lesser basketball, it phased them out because the league wanted another Michael Jordan. The NBA wanted to make the game strictly guard dominated and that started with the 30+ USG% of the guards in the 2000's. It needs balance. The 80s and 90s had great guards and small forwards too, it wasn't just big slow guys.

Today, it feels like a 3 point contest. Seeing a guy knock down a 3 and then a team immediately coming back and looking to answer with another 3 and again and again is boring for me. Those are plays that were exciting in the 90s because it was more of a rare treat to see Reggie trading 3s with a team. Now it's every team and every player on the floor looking to throw up 3s all game long. Same with the ankle breaker. It was never fun seeing Iverson and Francis just doing a bunch of fancy dribbles that were mostly palming only to get a highlight of someone caught off balance. Now everyone wants that highlight too even though the defender usually recovers. At least Curry, like Tim and Isiah, has handles that are effective and not just pretty like Kyrie. Curry utilizes the screen to make his defender look like a fool when he typically goes behind the back.
    It's all about the 3 point jack up or the crossover. That's todays greatest highlights. I prefer seeing posterizing dunks and flashy passes.