1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the league watered down?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Caesar, May 11, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Meh!
    What other team will have such great Twin Towers?
    If Sampson could have mustered enough healthy seasons . . . . . .

Rocket River

2. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

It's going to be a while before another play style wins. It won't be the Warriors forever, but the number of 3pt shots has been climbing steadily for two decades. And despite the increase in volume, shooting percentages have not declined. There's no sign that we're at the endpoint of this trend, and with Curry as a role model the young players are going to focus on shooting even more.

I'm skeptical the face up big man style can win. How much better can they get than Aldridge, who had a TS of 58.7% this year, while Steph Curry had a 66.9%? Big men are only going to make a comeback if some coach figures out a major innovation in either defense or rebounding.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Ehh not sure this is true.

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

GSW would not be able to handle those young Spurs and Lakers teams and lets not even mention the Bulls or Rockets. They would have no answer for Hakeem, Shaq, Prime Duncan. Green and Bogut would get destroyed. They can get away with that lineup because the talent and the inside D isn't as strong there anymore.

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think that other than late 80's/early 90's, we are in a golden age as far as talent. Better talent development and the incorporation of international talent. T Mac is flat out wrong.

1 person likes this.
  6. Soybean Fanatic

The problem isn't that the league is watered down, the problem is that TMac's brain is dehydrated.

7. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Yup. It's def watered down. This is how people like Green can be considered top 10. It's laughable.

8. omgTHEpotential

If Drummond is a superstar, then Valanciunas or Vucevic as HOFers.

9. omgTHEpotential

***are

10. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

what Tmac really wants to say is "I couldn't get out of the first round because the league was loaded when I played, but I would dominate and have 3 rings if I played now"

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

And you say this because...?

Green just posted two consecutive seasons where his production and impact equaled early 90's Scottie Pippen. Not saying he's as good - because he's still a long way from peak Pippen - but Green is an excellent player.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Golden Age? Really?

Warriors-legendary team
    Spurs-legendary team
    Cavs- great team
    Thunder-very good team
    Clippers-very good team
    Hawks - good team with no star power

--------------------------

Nothing else.

That's the NBA today.

The rest of the league is filled with teams that are bottom dwellers. There is only so many of them, that some teams have to win giving a record that looks like a good or playoff caliber team. But, they really aren't.

Take a moment to actually examine the rosters of the Sixers, Lakers, Suns, Nets, Knicks, Timberwolves, Pelicans, Magic, Bucks, Nuggets, Kings, and even mid tier teams like the Wizards, Jazz, Bulls, etc. They are loaded with bad players or really young players who it is too soon to compare in a historical context.

I forget which poster it was that brought up the watering down of expansion, but the D-League gives the NBA garbage players to fill in rosters nearly every game.

You guys can argue all you want for this era, that's fine. I just think an era with players being groomed and learning and refining their skills in college for 3 seasons on average makes for better talent in the NBA. I blame this solely on college and 19 being the minimum age to enter the NBA. 1 and done's is ruining college and the NBA imo.

There are just too many 19-20 year old kids out there "learning on the go" and they suck in the process maybe even hindering their confidence for their future. That's why i fully believe the bottom dwellers of the 80s and 90s can destroy todays bottom tier teams and even some mid tier teams, because those teams had a mix of veteran's and older college players.

I'd happily see "watered down" expansion Raptors with 22 year old rookie Damon Stoudamire surrounded by a bunch of veterans and role players like Doug Christie, Alvin Robertson, Oliver Miller, Tracy Murray, Willie Anderson, Herb Willams, Tony Massenburg and Ed Pickney versus teams with a bunch of 19 year old rookies surrounded by D-league players.

When you think about today in terms of position. It might be the golden age of point guards, but every other position is rather weak other than SF, and there have been great SF's in every era.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No, it's just that team ball is making a resurgence and T-Mac doesn't really understand what that's about.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

In response to how nobody finished unanimous before, its people like Worrell that vote Harden as a top 5 MVP candidate and Ariza as top 3 for DPOY LOL

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So if this is bad, when was there a time when there were more than 4-5 serious contenders in the same season as well as two historically good teams in the same conference who will likely end up facing off against one of the greatest players of all time in Lebron?

1 person likes this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Member

One of those historically good teams might be eliminated soon to a 2 man show. The other historically great team has to play the Blazers. That's not a good team talent wise. LeBron gets to casually walk to the Finals every year he's been in the league in that garbage conference. You've got the Clippers losing both of their stars. You've got the Heat and Raptors losing key players. You've got the best player missing 2 weeks of Playoff basketball. What about last year. You've got the Warriors playing no team at full strength. Not one team. Can you honestly say you're enjoying this product?

There have been 4-5 serious contenders in the same season pretty much since the merger. There has also been one of the greatest of all time in the Finals pretty much every Finals ever. That's not the problem. The problem is that the rest of the teams are really bad. My argument was for bad teams in other eras were much better than todays bad teams because of the veteran and 3 year college experienced young players. A lot of bad teams also had their star. Today all the stars are on the top teams and barely a few mid tier teams have a star of their own and no bottom dwellers have a star. They've all joined each other and there wasn't that many top level superstars to begin with.
    It's not about W-L's either. You can't really compare different teams from different seasons because they played different competition. I'd argue a good coach could turn the 14 win expansion Raptors into a playoff team in today's NBA because of the veteran presence surrounded by a young 20, 9 star rookie pg. How is that any different from the Blazers with Lillard? Lillard btw is one of those players i like to see. He stayed in college and is now a star thanks to that. If he came into the league at 19, he could have been terrible and never got a chance to show what he is capable of. The league needs more Lillards. 22 year old rookies. Not 19 year old's.

18. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

The athletes/games got better in almost every sports, but basketball is an exception?

1 person likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Barkley on the Dan Patrick Show

20. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

If he played when Pip played, he'd never sniff and all star game lol. You dudes are funny. Neither would Derozen and many others from this weak crop of players.