1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the League Head Hunting J. Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by solid, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

It doesn't help that when Lin drives he looks out of control half the time. Even my Dad when he first watched him was like, <translated> "Why does he always look like he's about to fall, stumble, and bumble when he drives?"

2. torocan

torocan Member

Easy to say, but Harden has a lot of height and length on Lin. If Lin tried to do the same move, he'd end up with a lot more shots blocked.

James Harden is 6'5" with a 8'7.5" standing reach.
    Jeremy Lin is 6'3" with a 8'2" standing reach.

That's a 5.5 inch difference.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/James-Harden-1241/stats/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeremy-Lin-5802/

Not to mention it would take a LOT of time to develop any of Harden's moves. That's why you don't see everyone doing the Eurostep or show the ball the way Harden does.

3. ada32

ada32 Member

Agreed! I thought Lin learned this lesson from his former NY Knicks buddy, Tyson Chandler, last year in one of game at MSG. After he got elbowed, Lin smiled! This is one thing Lin can learn from Prof. Harden!

4. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

It was a typo. 100 thousand.

5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Chris Paul is renouned for milking calls has never got a warning for flopping. If he has I cant remember.

6. wolf8grandma

wolf8grandma Rookie

wow a 80's tennis reference I used to love watching Becker play

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Boom boom becker was wild child off the court. Lin is a Christian with high moral values. Two different people off the court.

8. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Chris Paul has received a flop warning, don't know if he's ever been fined. In his role as president of the players' association he also wants to do away with flopping rule (which says a lot).

Tony Allen is not a dirty player, he's just intense (like accidentally kicking CP3 in the head), but he could be a flopper (got warned in the playoffs).

Selling foul is a part of getting calls, just a part of the game. Harden learned from KD, looks like Lin is learning from Harden.

I could be wrong, but it looks like Lin is going to the line a lot more this season. So he's not going to get ALL the calls, but he is getting them. That's a lot better than some of the PGs in the league.

9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Well he seems to be flopping and milking calls as usual.Nothing has changed so far.

10. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Chris Paul is the most shameless flopper in the league and he influences the refs' calls! Which is why wide-spread flopping is the league's fault. $5,000 is a meaningless fine for these millionaires. Get them where it hurts. A certain number of flops should lead to a game suspension, similar to how accumulated "techs" result in game suspension.

11. jms99

jms99 Member

it's definitely possible (and probably 100% certain) that he doesn't get calls from certain individual referees. But it's also possible that he gets MORE calls from OTHER referees. That's what I think we've been witnessing here.

i'm not going to lie and say i myself treat all people the same way when i see them. There's all kinds of subconscious things going on that I'm not even aware of. And to think that ALL refs are 100% unbiased in all situations, is absolutely a lie.

But, race is just one part of it. If I see a guy in a suit, i'm going to treat him differently than when that same guy is covered in tattoos and wearing dirty clothes. Even someone's face is going to be part of that. I could treat one person differently simply because his face reminds me of someone i used to know and disliked.

There was something on TV i saw a while back. It was a pretty brunette looking lost in NYC with a map. People helped her. Then she dyed her hair to blonde. People helped her, and also flirted with her and some asked her out.

12. jms99

jms99 Member

and yeah, someone's face of one race could remind me of someone of a different race.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Kevin Love is relevant to all thread until he is a Rocket, then he is only relevant to all threads except tinman threads.

14. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

The conspiracy goes deeper than we thought. Not only are Mchale and the announcers racist but the whole league hates him. Glad we got to the bottom of it.......... Why would the league actively work against having an Asian star and the market it could open for the league? The guy jumps into contact on offense and takes a ton of chances trying to steal balls on defense. What makes Lin good is going to the basket but that also creates a lot of contact. Guy is just unlucky with elbows.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lin is getting plenty of foul calls. Below is a list of some players, excluding those who strictly play inside the paint as far as I can tell, with the higest "free throw rate" (free throw attempts dividied by field goal attemps) this season:

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {
    border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif
    font-size: 12px;
    }
    .tableizer-table td {
    padding: 4px;
    margin: 3px;
    border: 1px solid #ccc;
    }
    .tableizer-table th {
    background-color: #104E8B;
    color: #FFF;
    font-weight: bold;
    }
    </style><table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Rk</th><th>Player</th><th>FTA/FGA</th></tr>
    <tr><td>1</td><td>Kevin Durant</td><td>0.717791411</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2</td><td>Ramon Sessions</td><td>0.687943262</td></tr>
    <tr><td>3</td><td>James Harden</td><td>0.543624161</td></tr>
    <tr><td>4</td><td>Jeremy Lin</td><td>0.534482759</td></tr>
    <tr><td>5</td><td>Xavier Henry</td><td>0.519083969</td></tr>
    <tr><td>6</td><td>Jimmy Butler</td><td>0.516129032</td></tr>
    <tr><td>7</td><td>Eric Bledsoe</td><td>0.482517483</td></tr>
    <tr><td>8</td><td>Ty Lawson</td><td>0.48</td></tr>
    <tr><td>9</td><td>Chris Bosh</td><td>0.476190476</td></tr>
    <tr><td>10</td><td>LeBron James</td><td>0.474683544</td></tr>
    <tr><td>11</td><td>Isaiah Thomas</td><td>0.474683544</td></tr>
    <tr><td>12</td><td>Jeff Teague</td><td>0.464516129</td></tr>
    <tr><td>13</td><td>Paul Pierce</td><td>0.456</td></tr>
    <tr><td>14</td><td>Michael Kidd-Gilchrist</td><td>0.45</td></tr>
    <tr><td>15</td><td>Anthony Davis</td><td>0.44966443</td></tr>
    <tr><td>16</td><td>Monta Ellis</td><td>0.4375</td></tr>
    <tr><td>17</td><td>Chris Paul</td><td>0.428571429</td></tr>
    <tr><td>18</td><td>Kevin Love</td><td>0.425414365</td></tr>
    <tr><td>19</td><td>Dwyane Wade</td><td>0.409395973</td></tr>
    <tr><td>20</td><td>Maurice Harkless</td><td>0.393617021</td></tr>
    <tr><td>21</td><td>Blake Griffin</td><td>0.392405063</td></tr>
    <tr><td>22</td><td>Jeff Green</td><td>0.390625</td></tr>
    <tr><td>23</td><td>Paul Millsap</td><td>0.382352941</td></tr>
    <tr><td>24</td><td>Luol Deng</td><td>0.378571429</td></tr>
    <tr><td>25</td><td>Dirk Nowitzki</td><td>0.37804878</td></tr>
    <tr><td>26</td><td>Russell Westbrook</td><td>0.373134328</td></tr>
    </table>

This is not a perfect measurement of how often a player is drawing fouls, but it's decent enough to show that Lin is at least getting a decent number of whistles. Lin's number is way up there with Harden and is higher than that of the likes of Lebron, Love, Griffin, Wade, CP3, Lawson and Westbrook. Guys like Melo (who has been publicly frustrated with the lack of calls for him) and Kevin Martin are actually even lower on the list. So, it really isn't a matter of him getting no calls whatsoever.

The fact of the matter is, when a player plays the way that Lin does, he is going to draw a high # of contacts, and a portion of these are gonna be missed by the referees. At the same time, he's probably gonna get some foul calls where there isn't really a foul due to ref mistakes in his favor.

We cannot really judge whether Lin is getting screwed with calls more than the average guy unless we know the total # of missed calls against him, and then divide it by the total number of "call opportunities."

16. King901

King901 Member

That or take a percentage of their contract.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Well I guess that settles that. Yeah, Lin tends to send himself flying a lot. He might hit the floor without taking contact more than most players in the league, going to the hoop. His playing style is helter skelter.

18. JBar

JBar Rookie

agreed

19. yummyhawtsauce

That's true, it's possible the shorter length of Lin's arms = face smack and it could be a skill Lin has not developed yet, but hopefully will work on somepoint in the future if he expects to have longevity in the league.

20. yummyhawtsauce

Interesting, thanks for sharing.