1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the comeback win against Tampa the greatest in Texans history?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by K9Texan, Nov 10, 2023.

1. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Serious question. Maybe some of you longtime fans can answer. That game was AMAZING! Can't wait for the Cincinnati game!

2. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Dunno, it felt important though.

ROCKSS and Two Sandwiches like this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

That comeback vs the Chargers the year we went 2-14 was insane

#3 red5rocket, Nov 10, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    K9Texan likes this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I keep wondering this out loud too. Wondering if it was the greatest game in Texan's history for me, as a fan, to watch. I know I didn't mean as much as some, but at the same time, it may end up meeting a lot, from a foreshadowing/ metaphorical perspective.

It was definitely a top three game in franchise history for me.

K9Texan likes this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Nope. Deshaun down 16 in playoffs vs Buffalo

K9Texan, Verbal Christ, Qan and 2 others like this.
  6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if you're asking if it is the greatest Texans comeback win in history, or the Texans greatest win in history. If it is overall, to me that first playoff victory against Cincinatti when Watt had the pick 6 is far greater. That was a playoff win. I'll take a boring playoff win over excited regular season win anyday of the week.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

That game still stands out for me as well.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It definitely ranks in my top favorite games along with the first game we ever played. Starting our new franchise by beating the Cowboys in our very first game was also a special moment for me.

houstonstime likes this.
  9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, there are any/every playoff win - those seem inherently more important - specifically, the JJ Watt game v Bengals. There's also the game @ Cincy to clinch our first trip to the postseason. The first-ever game v Dallas in 2002 remains a high point (unfortunately; hard to believe we've struggled to top that moment in 21 years).

Regular season-wise, the ones that jump to mind immediately are 1) @ Denver in 2012; 2) @ KC in 2019; 3) v Colts in 2011 (the Arian Foster game); 4) @ Washington in 2010 (the Schaub/Johnson game-tying TD late)

The big issue, here, is that we know big wins in the past were ultimately in service to disappointing seasons. This feels different because it's the beginning of a new era in which we don't know the ending, and there's a rightful amount of hope and excitement around CJ and DeMeco.

We may look back at it as a defining moment for this era - but right now? I think it would, if it cracks the top 10, be in the 6-10 range.

K9Texan likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If we make the play-offs by 1 game then yes.

11. Qan

Qan Member

That Panthers lost going to come back with vengeance

12. SuraGotMadHops

That Chargers comeback late into the night on MNF is up there, and as mentioned earlier the DeShaun/Bills playoff game. I think as far as a comeback game winning drive, what CJ did may rank the best, but TJ Yates drive against Cincy to clinch a playoff berth may still be the top.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Deshaun and Bills 100%. Even though it was due to our own terrible coaching and strategy from BoB. Deshaun willed us to victory

Qan likes this.
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

1st game against Cowboys also happened to be the first NFL game I ever got to go to and it was extra special because my dad, who is not really into football, knew that I was so excited for a new team in Houston and got me and him tickets for my birthday. It will always be in that top 5 list for me no matter what. I also loved the 16-10 win in 2015 against the Colts at Indy. I was working up there at the time and went to the game, got to see our first ever win AT Indy in franchise history.

Finally, the Cincy playoff win, bills wildcard from down 0-16, and this win with 46 seconds left against TB (because it’s something we’ve only ever had happen TO us and not FOR us) round out my top 5.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

This game was an amazing comeback too, trailing by 17 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

SuraGotMadHops and K9Texan like this.
  16. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Ah OK. Thanks!

17. SuraGotMadHops

This was a damn good game! One of the ones where when its over you're pumped with adrenaline the rest of the day and Monday. That 4th down throw from Schaub to AJ was AMAZING. Damn, Schaub's peak was short but he was a much better QB for the Texans than what he gets credit for. When he fell off though he fell off hard.

david_rocket likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think we have a new contender...!!

In terms of regular season games - and discounting playoff clinchers - I think the top four are: Dallas '02; @ Broncos '12; @ KC '19; and now: @ Cin '23.

Again, we know the '12 and '19 seasons didn't go as far as we hoped so those games get tainted a bit, and there's recency bias overflowing here. But... to beat *that* Bengals team, on the road, with our injury list, with a rookie HC and QB starting to build a genuine culture and era... It may not be the best - but it's starting to feel like it could be the most important.