1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the 80s the best decade of all time?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 8, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

now see, here is where I lost interest in the NBA for quite a long while. Lenny Bias's death from a cocaine overdose just about sealed the deal for me. The drugs and general excess of that period of time were just a bit too much to take. I still followed the NBA, it just wasn't a passion for me anymore. That passion didn't return for a long time.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While tragic, the death of Bias had no impact on my feelings towards NBA basketball at all. He didn't play for Houston.

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

well, I played all growing up, played in high school, played in college. lost interest. Played again for a while in the 90s until my knees crapped out, but really didn't start following the League again until maybe ten years ago-ish.

I should add that I was living in the Boston area when Bias died, that was just a devastating blow to basketball fans in that region. devastating.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Heck, had that happened to Houston, I'd feel the same way.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I love your post, but Saturday Morning cartoons in the 80s were almost complete trash with a few gems in the heap. Sure, you had shows, like the Muppet Babies, TMNT, Garfield, and the Real Ghostbusters. But, you also Rubik the Amazing Cube, Little Clowns in Happy Town, and terrible spinoffs of beloved TV shows, movies and classic cartoons. I'd say the 90s were a little bit better in actual quality of TV shows.

http://www.inthe80s.com/saturdays.shtml

TGIF?? Really, I would've traded TGIF for Netflix, Amazon Prime, or 200 cable station with better quality shows.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He forgot "unemployment rates and the 3-D craze with the AIDS, crack, and Reagan."

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I don't know there would be no ClutchFans without internet, all while no awesome Youtube videos, Netflix, e-commerce/online shopping (esp. for novelty products that you can't always find in local stores or at an affordable price and all of the people who are running online businesses), online dating, Wikipedia and the other online dictionaries and encyclopedias, alternative news sites, on demand programming - TV and movies, registering to vote/for school/car/apartment, *p*rn*, online mapping systems, and all of the other stuff. I'm sticking with the internet on this one.

8. Buck Turgidson

The 90's were ****ing amazing. The 80's were also ****ing amazing.

Good times to grow up.

9. Buck Turgidson

You know I was just ****ing with you because I love you, right?

And because you're old.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Absolutely! No worries, mate. :cool:

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this thread needs a poll. How old is @Deckard ?
    60-70
    70-80
    80-90
    90-100
    100-105
    106-110
    111-115
    116+

Bandwagoner likes this.
  12. TheresTheDagger

You forgot Charlies Angels. That made up for all the above.

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Pretty much everyone has fond memories of the time from when they were children and young adults.

I enjoyed the sixties, even with the assassinations, riots, and war. Of course, if those things had happened in my own backyard or on my street I might feel differently.

15. CallMeTheDream

Nothing used to beat putting a big black pipe to my mouth, filled with pure white goodness after a long day. Man I miss the 80s, wish I got the chance to try some crack though lol :D

VanityHalfBlack likes this.