1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ted Cruz eligible to be president...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 6, 2016.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Cruz obliterated Trump on this issue during last week's debate. Trump looked very weak.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Ok wait, trying to remember the defenses here......OK right accuse of racism whilst repeating seldom used name of candidate.

It figures that a racist like Rashmon wouldn't like Rafael "Ted" Cruz.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

First off, the Obama birther movement was nonsense. That said, it was quite a different scenario than Cruz's. Obamas was based on speculation from the lack of a birth certificate and allegations of birth location. The extreme allegation consisted of him being born in Kenya to a Hawaiian mother back when Hawaii was not a state. If this were true, then yes, I could see why one would challenge his eligibility...not that I would agree. However, the point is moot as he was born in Hawaii and Hawaii was a US state at the time...which makes the Obama birther movement nonsense.

Cruz's is pretty straight forward. There is no unclarity in his birth records. If Cruz was a US citizen from the day he was born and he has at least one US citizen parent, there is absolutely nothing to discuss here.... just as there was nothing to discuss in Obamas case.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That makes even less sense and while I didn't follow the Birther movement closely this is the first I've heard that there were claims that Obama's mother was a Hawaiian. She was born in Kansas of Irish descent and wasn't a native Hawaiian.

The birthers main argument was that he wasn't eligible to be president as a natural born citizen since he wasn't born in the US. The argument that he was born in Kenya, and a lesser argument that he gave up US citizenship for Indonesian as a child, were all meant to delegitimize his standing for the office. That was the basis of the lawsuits that they filed. I can't recall a lawsuit stating that his mother was Hawaiian.
    I agree. Both cases IMO have no standing are just distractions.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I stand corrected. I always understood she was native Hawaiian. Which makes his birther movement even more silly.

This story aside, if someone does give up their US citizenship, then I would agree they should not be allowed to be president.

Would anchor babies be eligible to be president?

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You're either confused or confusing me with someone else.

I would be delighted in Ted Cruz being the GOP nominee. I would look forward to his obliteration in the presidential election when regular voters (i.e. non-GOP wingnuts) get a gander at his nuttiness.

I am having fun with the fact that the ridiculous birther movement crap has come home to roost on someone so deserving.

Go Ted go...
    [​IMG]

7. Bandwagoner

By saying you don't like him, in what way have I mischaracterized your feelings?

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Yeah, he has one parent from Cuba that lived in America and Canada for a while before having Ted.

His father also came on a student visa.

Amnesty has nothing to do with his situation.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i can understand people liking (or not liking) the last 2 presidents.

but this guy is creepy and scary as hell. he seems to always have an air of pessimism and negativity around him. out of all of the main candidates in the last 2-3 elections he may very well be the very last one i would vote for out of every single one of them.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My guess is no since citizenship is one of the requirements for being President. I think even if someone were a natural born citizen but gave up their citizenship and then got it back through naturalization they would be disqualified. That's just my laymen's opinion but it would be an interesting question.

On a related note another birther claim against Obama was that while he was living in Indonesia when his mother married an Indonesian is that Obama gave up his US citizenship. I don't think any solid evidence turned up that he did and as a minor I don't think he was in legal position to do so.

One argument that has come against Cruz was that he had dual Canadian US citizenship but he gave up Canadian citizenship and never lost US citizenship so I doubt that disqualifies him.
    "Anchor baby" isn't a legal term but a derogatory term used for the children of immigrants whose parents didn't have permanent or legal residence in the US at the time of birth. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't disqualify someone since they, if not their parents, had citizenship at birth. That would mean that someone like Bruce Lee who was born in San Francisco while his parents were touring with a Chinese Opera troupe could've run for president.

How awesome would President Bruce Lee have been!:grin:

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Yes, that is your opinion. But the polls are not finding that opinion to be held by a majority of Republicans. He has the highest favorability rating of all the candidates.

The people that the American public hate, hate Ted. That works for him.

12. Rashmon

It's pretty obvious that my disdain for Ted has nothing to do with my feelings toward immigrants. I have nothing against people from Canada, Cuba, nor immigrants in general.

How do you feel about his stance on immigration?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You feel threatened that he will defeat Hillary.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Bandwagoner

Sounds like what most other racists say but your posts imply the opposite. If it were true I don't think you would post pictures that have to do with where his father was born if you didn't care.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Casey, honestly, this is a new level of density. Calling Rashmon a racist is just pathetic. I mean, if you believe that, preach it. Whatever. But let me try to explain something.

1. Public figure A takes xenophobic campaign stance to boost polling numbers.
    2. Public figure A does not go by his given name, which would sound hispanic to many voters or even immigrant-like, but instead goes by a good-old-boy sounding name.
    3. Poster B, who dislikes xenophobia, makes a point of his real name, the origin of his parents as immigrants, and underlines the public figure's hypocrisy. Poster B has no history of any real issue with any race in many years on the BBS.
    4. CaseyH calls Poster B a racist and pretends to be oblivious to points 1, 2, and 3.
    5. The sun sets on another typical day at CF's D&D forum.

17. Rashmon

I do find it comical when supporters of the party and candidates most associated with racial intolerance feel the need to use the race card in some kind of inverse bizarro world of persecution complex. The cognitive dissonance must be difficult.

I think it is pretty cool that Ted's dad was a Castro supporter.

Let's hope Ted is not as thin-skinned as you.

18. Bandwagoner

How am I think skinned? I am not upset I am was just curious how I misrepresented your thoughts on Cruz when you said I was confused. Then I pointed out how much you care about where his father was born. If you are saying you are NOT a racist you should be thanking me. Although most racists claim to not be racist.

19. Rashmon

Point me to any post I made regarding Ted's dad in this thread (prior to your conniption).

20. Bandwagoner

The racist picture you posted from what I assume is a hate group talked directly about where his parents were born. I don't want to repost it because of the content.

I mean if you aren't racist just look out for further missteps. You certainly don't need to convince me. Deeds not words.