1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ted Cruz eligible to be president...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 6, 2016.

1. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

FWIW Canada denies any responsibility for Ted Cruz.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah? If he's so smart, how come he's dead?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

May the Schwartz be with you!

This is really, really stupid.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Newton Boris Schwartz?

That is literally every left wing stereotype....

Huey Newton....

Boris the Communist....

Schwartz the liberal Jew...

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The plaintiff is 85 years old - It's good to stay active at that age, even if it is just trolling Ted Cruz.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hell, he could have run for the GOP nomination. They don't really turn anyone away.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

or when when he trotted out his dear old racist dad with that, "go back to kenya" line.

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

the way the DEM leadership is going, he may well head up their youth wing ;)...:(

1 person likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This article says 81, but I suppose it doesn't matter which: http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/01/15/ted-cruzs-eligibility-for-president-questioned.htm

The article has some detail on Schwartz:

[rquoter] Houston attorney Newton Boris Schwartz Sr., 81, isn't so sure about Cruz's candidacy.

Schwartz says the U.S. Constitution is unclear on the question of Cruz's eligibility in a lawsuit he filed against Cruz on Thursday in Federal Court in Cruz's hometown of Houston.

Schwartz claims in the lawsuit there is no U.S. Supreme Court precedent to determine if Cruz qualifies.

"'Natural born citizen' has never been defined," the complaint states.

Schwartz says his status as an eligible voter for the Nov. 1 presidential election gives him standing to bring the lawsuit.

He seeks a declaration that Cruz is not "a 'natural born' citizen" and is "therefore ineligible to be elected, or serve as president or vice president of the U. S."

Schwartz said he's voted for a Democrat in every presidential election since 1968 when he voted for Richard Nixon, a Republican, except in 1992 when he voted for Texas billionaire Ross Perot, who ran as an independent.

"If I had to vote on who the candidates are now I would probably vote for Bernie Sanders. My wife is leaning toward Hillary Clinton," he said in a phone interview.

Schwartz has practiced law for 61 years, including three years as a federal prosecutor in Houston and two years as a U.S. Air Force JAG officer, he said.

He said he expects his case will lose before a trial court and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans, then move on to the Supreme Court where he expects it to "go 5-to-4 or 6-to-3 either way, so it's going to be an uphill fight."

"This is a serious and substantial question. I'm trying to get it heard as quickly as we can to avoid a futile election. If Trump puts Cruz as his vice president even and he's later found disqualified, what do you do? You have to go back and have a new election for president or vice president," Schwartz said.[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He is a US citizen by federal law but not a "natural born" US citizen.

He is a "natural born Canadian" because he was, you know, born in Canada.

The term "natural born citizen" has never been challenged...before.

This is so much fun, eh?

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Citizenship is a legal standard and not really a natural standard. In this case I feel pretty confident that natural born applies to having a citizenship at birth. Being born outside of the US shouldn't disqualify as McCain was born outside the US and George Romney (Mitt's father who also had run for President) was born in Mexico.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

just based on the fact that his wifey's an MD for goldman he should be ineligible.

14. Rashmon

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I am sure he is eligible, but I love the fact that a huge chunk of Cruz supporters were also birthers and that now the stupid argument they tried to use based on false information against Obama is now being used against their man Ted.

It's the height of hypocrisy that someone would support Ted Cruz's eligibility if they argued that Obama wasn't eligible. Even if Obama had been born in Kenya, he would be subject to the same eligibility rules as Ted Cruz.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If I never was a birther can i make fun of Rashmon for caring about Cruz eligibility now? TIA

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

he was naturalized by birth, which explains why he never had to go through any naturalization process

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's simply not clear what "natural born citizen" means.

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but it does need to be clarified.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

He looks more Canadian than American to me. Definitely doesn't look like a Texan.

20. Rashmon

[​IMG]