1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Ted Cruz eligible to be president...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You could have said this to the assholes conjuring up post-modern literacy tests and poll taxes for an educated, successful black candidate with a non-western name.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Correlated maxim - whatever escalation you use can not be de-escalated.

If you decide to pull dirty tricks out of the bag, you lose all rights to act outraged when those same tricks are used on you.

Just assume whatever gambit you use to try and discredit the other side will come back at you next cycle.

Sort of a twisted, post-modern "golden rule". Whatever you do unto others, it will be done unto you in 4 to 8 years. If people kept this in mind, maybe a little decorum and civility would seep back into politics.

Anybody who put any faith in Obama birther talk after the first rebuttal first time around is first and foremost lying to themselves. I refuse to believe that anybody is stupid enough to have believed it in the face of valid contradictory evidence without really wanting to do so. They should probably seek therapy, as they have unresolved issues and a near fatal lack of self-awareness.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

No question. The Obama birthers are many of the same people who delighted, Ted Cruz style, in using Obama's middle name while pushing the closet Obama is a Muslim agenda.

4. Anticope

Anticope Member

Um no, Ted Cruz actually was born outside the U.S. while Obama was not. It's not a difficult concept.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

not sure you understood what i wrote.....

6. Anticope

Anticope Member

You were saying that anyone who argues that Ted Cruz is ineligible would also have to argue that Obama was. Care to explain why that is?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Per the constitution:

Vag birth
    No epidural

To quote the Constitution: "If your mom wasn't tough enough to push you out naturally, how do we know you can be tough enough on China, Putin, and terrorists?"

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Mr. Trump was talking about North Korea yesterday when he said "they are just playing a game, it's business, I do it all the time".

Birthers of all stripes are just playing the game. Mr. Trump's whole campaign is just playing a game. Sadly, here is no law requiring sincerity or truthfulness for speech. It's up to the forces against them to vet what is said since the fourth estate has lost it's impartiality and integrity due to it's commercial dependency.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Still waiting on them to start calling him Rafael Edward Cruz
    at every turn to hammer in his hispanicness :D

Which could be a plus in some places
    a Minus in others .. ..

Rocket River

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They just need to play up the Cuban terrorist angle.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Since I had the same takeaway, you might want to spell out what you were trying to say. It's obvious that Obama has a stronger claim on 'natural-born' than Cruz, though I think both should qualify. Both had US citizen mothers (an automatic qualify for citizenship) and foreign national fathers. But Obama was born on US soil (another automatic qualifier) while Cruz was not. If the courts decided that the deciding factor in being 'natural-born' was that you are born on US soil (as was my understanding in elementary school, lol), than Cruz would be disqualified while Obama would not be. There isn't anything necessarily hypocritical to argue for the disqualification of Cruz while defending Obama's legitimacy. But there is something hypocritical about going the other way.

I do hope and expect, however, that the Democrats won't touch this issue at all. Cruz should qualify, and arguing otherwise isn't going to please their constituency like it did for Republicans fighting Obama.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I think it is pretty simple, did you have to be "naturalized" to become a citizen?

It's a lot like making Conan wear cargo pants in the woods with no underwear...

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, because Obama was actually born in the US, no matter the fever dreams of wingnuttia.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A vote for Cruz is a vote for Castro.

16. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Nobody should have a real problem with Senator Cruz running for President...

The definition of "natural-born" citizen is still somewhat undecided, legally, outside of the fact that when it was conceived, the idea was to keep a foreign-born leader from amassing and kind of cache and somehow ascend to the presidency and perhaps create a regency/monarchy all over again...

..but this is still funny.

What was it that my grandma used to say to me about stuff like this...
    ...oh yeah....

"...When you diggin' one hole to bury somebody in, boy, you better dig two..."

17. adoo

adoo Member

what skepticism would that be ?

Obama's mother was an US born citizen

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's almost as if all of the crowing over President Obama's birthplace had nothing to do with his birthplace at all!

19. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

"At this point.. what difference does it make?"

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I guess Julius Caesar might have something to say about that.