1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Steve Slaton a Bust?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by RedRedemption, Sep 22, 2009.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Should I keep this fool? He just single-handedly destroyed my fantasy football roster. :eek:

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Once the Texans realize they need to be an aggressive pass first team Slaton should regain his value. But no, IMO he will never warrant the 2nd round pick people used on him.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

At least you didn't draft Forte like me. :mad:

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I got him too. You have to think about the run defense he faced though.

I'm hoping to see him explode on the jags.

I just wish they made more packages for him as a receiver. more points.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Yes I'm hoping its a defenses thing too. Jets were super aggressive, stuffed the box, and the passing game was nonexistent. The titans had just recently stuffed Pitt, who has a good squad of Parker, Mendenhall and Mewelde. Like Ziggy says though, I dont think he'll be producing the sort of numbers you would hope out of your 2nd rounder.

Just need to pay attention to any other sleepers that will "slaton up" in a week or two.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Forte will be fine, he faced Green Bay in Week 1 when Cutler started going ape****, then the best Run Defense in the league in Week 2.

I still expect him to have a very solid season.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

i just accepted a trade of Cadillac Williams for Matt Forte.... thats how bad some players have gived up on him. :eek:

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I think Slaton will be fine it's just Houston has faced some tough talent in the first two weeks. The Jets defense was one of the best against the run last year (7th) and looked to only improve with a new head coach with a defensive mind. The Titans game was basically a shootout which required pass-pass-pass although I think the Texans are a pass-first team anyway.

If you look at the remaining schedule, it includes games against team like St. Louis, Oakland, Indianapolis (x2), and Seattle who are all 20th or more in the league in rushing yards allowed not to mention games against defenses that will probably get worse such as Jacksonville (x2) or teams they have had success running the ball against in the past like Tennessee.

I think two weeks into the season is a little early to call him a bust.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Cutler doesn't check down like Orton did :(

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Cutler is all over the place right now. I remember all this pre-season hype about Cutler making Greg Olsen an all-star.

The jury is still out, I'm giving him the next 2 weeks to show something.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Besides him (Greg Olsen) Johnny Knox looks to be his favorite reciever. Should he be picked up In Ya'll Op?

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think he was exploiting a matchup if anything. Pittsburgh's nickel corner is a piece of crap. Bennett was "supposed" to be his go-to guy, his Vandy teammate. Hester seemed to have a good game against Green Bay.

I was wary but I ended up buying into the hype, good thing I backed up Olsen with Jermichael Finley as an insurance policy.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Slaton and Forte will be fine..

LOL at the Cadillac for Forte trade :confused:

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I nearly drafted with Slaton but went with Ronnie Brown instead. I ended up with Adrian Peterson, Ronnie Brown, Jonothan Stewart, Le'Ron McClain, and Cadillac Williams

15. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ronnie Brown was SOOO horrible last year, as half of his fantasy points came from 1 game. He didn't really do anything the rest of the year. He's basically in a 60/40 time share with Ricky Williams. I know they run a lot, but I just wouldn't touch him. McGahee or Rice later down the draft would have been better IMO, but you've got a gem in Cadillac Williams.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

More potential busts I was lucky enough to draft:

Eddie Royal
    Donnie Avery
    Lance Moore

Needless to say, I'm hurting for receivers. I just dropped Anthony Gonzalez (yes, I drafted him too) for Bobby flippin' Wade. PPR.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'd add Brandon Marshall to that list too. I'd drop Moore. Colston, Henderson, Shockey, and Bush are more likely targets for Brees then you have them mixing in the run with Bell and Thomas.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Ah, my entire lineup is a complete bust right now. Damn it, this year is not my year.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I was talking to a pal of mine this weekend and he made a good point; Slaton added 10 pounds of muscle this offseason therefore possibly losing some quickness and elusiveness. I know Schaub has been blowing it up since stinking it up against the Jets but he hasn't even sniffed 100 yards rushing this season.

I think he may be right. :rolleyes:

Chris Brown is amazing, fumble on the goal line for the game winning TD, I bet the Texans wanted to beat his ass for that. Shoulda just QB sneaked with Schaub or handed off to Leach or something.

20. famicom

famicom Member

Why not just use Slaton? It would suck if he would never get to see the goal line setup, of course I'm speaking as a fantasy owner. He still has good value as a receiving running back though.