1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Silas really to blame or is our roster simply not that good?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a time to chill, Nov 19, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wall barely played. Schroeder is a shoot first pg himself.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Everything in this post is wrong.

bmelo and FarmerFish like this.
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

They are talented, but they are young and have absolutely no idea how to win yet. There are some pretty glaring roster deficiencies, but some time and a couple roster tweaks would help a ton. Silas seems to be developing them, I like the intensity they play at for him, but I’m still on the fence over how much of the losing is directly his fault. I just want to see some growth this season.

Mathloom likes this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We aren't the youngest team in the league??

We can use John Wall's contract to pay different players???

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

OKC is (because of Gordon).

I'll give you that we still have cap space tied up.

6. Ancient Moabite

Looks like a Iverson game stat line he had every now and then in his first years in the league, ish happens

Kobe avg 7ppg his rookie season, i would imagine you threw him out with the bath water as well back in the day, then tap danced back around his 4th season when he avg 28ppg (or something around there)

Mathloom and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yep

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Never noticed your posts before, so I will not miss them either.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

47% to be exact.

Totally agree with the bottom line ....

10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

lol you're comparing Schroeder and a washed post injury wall to a potential generational talent at PG ? gtfo. a true PG that can also score is exactly what this team needs.

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The lack of coaching by Silas is astonishing. This **** has happened so many times but Silas made no attempts to rectify it. Our best scorer Green almost never gets the ball in late clock situations. Nix should have been benched long time ago but for some reasons Silas continues to let him play. Jaygup had an outstanding rookie season but gets zero opportunity this season. Do you really think this is good coaching?

Carpe82 likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Carpe82 likes this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I ignore some posters on purpose but @Corrosion is not one of them. I have a life as well, and there are so many posts.

First of all, in general I agree that the main reason we are losing is defense, not offense. At least in terms of scoring. The more problematic parts in offense are turnovers and bad shots and not being good at transition defense. Not moving the ball well at all is at the heart of these things. Also, we can score okay, but when you don't have plays, structure, ball movement, it becomes much harder to execute late in the games, when the opponent defenses get tougher, resulting in hero ball, bad shots, turnovers.

The EG taking all open shots is interesting. I looked at all the 3s he took this year, and they are mostly 3-4 feet behind the arc. That is mostly why his shots are open. The defense does not really defend him closely at that range, they are not open shots created by the system.

You can see them here:

https://the-high-low.com/?ids=238LY...k5N23a9jK23K3z123uLkU23dxPD23F6uv23JyBY23hiHA

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Turnovers are going to happen with a young team that dont have much experience which is what we are. We have a bunch low 20 year old players on the team and Eric Gordon who is also turn over prone. Again, all problems of being young. How many young teams do you know that move the ball welll or are good at any of those things? Not a lot. Young teams are not good at clutch execution either.

Yes they are, EG stands there because he's told to, its for the spacing. EG has taken those shots for years and that helps with our offense. Dude is a career 37% 3 point shooter on 6 attempts per game. Not to mention last year he shot 40% on 5.3 attempts per game. EG is being used how he is supposed to for the most part.

Like I'm not seeing any evidence from you here that we are taking bad shots here, just that our players cant execute. Do you know how many open shots Jabari gets from 3? He shoots like 30% on 6 attempts per game.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

Dallas offense looked amazing when Silas was with Dallas, Im talking historically good. And it wasnt just Luka, their bench was flooring teams with out him.

I think @JayGoogle might be right when he says that maybe what we are trying to do is not right for our personnel and that you need vets to maybe run that. And if that's the case, then yea I would say he's doing a bad job.

But all in all, I just want to see if we can get Wemby, so I dont really care right now. When we get like a generational talent on this squad and we are still bad, then we can talk.

TimDuncanDonaut and JayGoogle like this.
  16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The shot profiles of KPJ and Green are not good, and a lot of that is a result of unsuccessful isos, which is the source of almost all complaints here. The rest of the team is okay, as you said if they miss they miss. Bari will be okay, I don't worry about him. At the start of the season, he was not part of the game in general and he was not getting balls in a natural way. Now it looks better.

Clutch execution comes in two ways. Hero ball, which is okay if you have a hero. I don't think we do. Or habitual plays that you can execute without thinking under pressure. Yes, young teams have difficulty but we don't invest in the latter anyway, so we go for hero ball, which is a bad choice for a young team, because having plays that you can execute regularly helps the team and players develop in different ways, unlike hero ball which really does not help anything.

ozrocketsfan likes this.
  17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

If we have a veteran point guard and a new coach we would be a productive team. The team needs a coach who is discipline and make them play defense. I do not care if they are young or have not played enough together, there is one thing that you are taught in high school, college and the NBA and that is playing defense. We are athletic and have length to play outstanding defense and are the worse. Young players can play defense, this is a joke

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is a silly assumption.

Reeko likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean, Im sure he's not asking him to take those shots and largely discourages them. If KPJ was efficient, I wouldnt worry about his shot selection, last night if he plays like that consistently, he could be our PG of the future, but he doesnt so the jury is out on him. Jalen on the other hand will be more efficient as time goes on, he's 20 year old. He's gonna be inefficient. His efficiency will improve as the season goes on. Regulating your best player's shot selection isnt really a good idea imo.

Again, maybe we do have a system, it's just that our players are too immature to run it. In which case, yea he has blame. Either it doesnt matter because we are tanking and if we are bad next year, this conversation will largely not matter as he will likely be fired anyways.

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

There is no way KPJ can be efficient with the shots he is taking, they are simply too contested, too off-balance and as years go by there is no improvement there, so my hope is little to none. For Green I agree you. And yes you don't want to regulate shot selection, but you want to make his life easier by getting the ball to him at a point of advantage, like passing to ball him on a cut, finding him on open spots etc.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.