1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Silas really to blame or is our roster simply not that good?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a time to chill, Nov 19, 2022.

1. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

@Mathloom After waking up, when I read this it sounds more negative than I meant it to be. By not having any improvement, I was actually talking about team play, not player growth from year to year. So now I see why you thought I was extreme. But still I don't think Silas can get a lot of credit for the developments of Green, Sengun and Garuba, as I explained in the other post.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The big picture is: things are going great for the Rockets young players.

Lol, what is this nonsense?

Jabari Smith Jr. looks like **** and way less athletic than advertised. Possible notorious bust.

Eason - fine, good role player.

Washington - incomplete

Sengun - looked like he had improved then spent the week fouling out again.

Green - yet another slump, turning the ball over like crazy. Franchise level player? Ok sure...

Christopher - worse than last year.

Garuba - novelty role player who clearly improved, low ceiling due to lack of size and speed.

Nix - ok shooter, blah otherwise
    Martin Jr - good NBA rotation player
    KPJ - I can't

Look at the crappy Pacers - would you trade Halliburton and Mathurin for all of that? I wouldn't.

Scottie Barnes? Nope. Mobley? Not really.

Banchero - lol no way.

These young players look like the worst team in the NBA. Which they are.

#102 SamFisher, Nov 20, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    DaDakota likes this.
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Posting to this thread, it's like you need to put a disclaimer at the beginning

'I am not expecting us to make the play-offs and what I say is not about wins&losses'

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL I bet you could ruin any party.

5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I also blame Stones for not getting a PG

AlperenSengun likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay so the Sengun 3 is bad now? If yall want him to be Jokic, that 3 ball has to be effective. If he has no 3 ball in the NBA, 5-out spacing(which the best offensive teams usually utilize at some point, is all but lost. Like if Sengun takes an open 3, are you supposed to not encourage that, because that's fine but I dont think its some stupid idea to encourage him to get better at 3s. Silas ran 5 out spacing in Dallas.

I think we have improved from last year at the very least.

#106 HP3, Nov 20, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
    SamFisher likes this.
  7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Sengun should take the 3 and should be encouraged. It is good for development. It is just not a measure of Silas's system creating good shots, because the other teams are leaving him open anyway, since he is not a threat now.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He did….his name is TyTy. Silas not playing him and there is your simple answer to the OP’s question.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I can't entertain this negativity. There's a rationale (which you've quoted, but don't understand obviously) for why those things are looking that way to you but I know from experience you won't see it till it's in your face and I have to come back and say I told you so. Which is going to happen, again.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Thank you for acknowledging that and I definitely appreciate your level headed posts.

What people don't understand is that if you hired Red Auerbach to coach this team, drafted Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant out of high school and you put them in a rotation with 3-4 other 20 year olds, lazy Eric Gordon and Kevin Porter Jr trying to learn the PG position, you would still be roughly 3-13 and your two future superstars would look like they are never going to be superstars and your coach would look like he doesn't know how to run a team. That would be ugly and the negative people on this board would be ******** on Kobe and Garnett, just like they were ******** on Yao when he got here. I know the identity of this board for 20 years now, I know what it does. The team is always better than the board makes it seem, always. I've learned to use it as a compass.

People's expectations are out of whack. Re-calibrate. We were never going to have a different start to the season even if we had drafted Michael Jordan himself.

This team is going to be the best of the rebuilding teams, I'm certain of that. The work we're putting in to make these players do the things off ball that later could come back to bite us in the ass will pay off. Green is a superstar in the making, Jabari and Sengun are going to be two offensive powerhouses while Jabari, Eason and Garuba are going to be our defensive powerhouses and all of them have complimentary games. YES SAM, EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT RIGHT NOW.

Silas I don't think will even be around to coach these guys in the playoffs, he will have done his job of focusing on giving these players a well-rounded foundation which many of them are lacking (with the help of a solid staff of course). I don't waste any energy judging Silas as long as the players are making the correct YEAR TO YEAR leaps, which they are.

Don't worry man. By end of December, we'll both be smiling about this disagreement.

11. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m not good at details in coaching, sets, and offensive schemes

Silas is the first person since JB Bickerstaff, or whatever his name is, where I think “this guy sucks”

I would honestly rather have Nash so at least I know some kind of development is happening. I would love to sit in a Silas film study session and see what he actually says to KPJ

Carpe82 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

yes, however I also think this roster could use 1-2 player-coach veterans in a big way. Off the top of my head, soft-spoken Eric Gordon is the only player on the roster to have won a playoff series(?). I guess Boban probably has too. Humans need peers to reinforce good behavior.
    yes [on both counts]

Carpe82 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are funeral parties, I would consider it.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See, I think a lot of that is down to shitty coaching here in Houston.

DD

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not coaching that Jabari Smith is sooo disappointing as an elite high lottery pick.

The fact that he has open shot after open shot is indicative of good coaching on a tactical level.

Right now it just looks like a bad evaluation/groupthink that this guy was an elite top 5 talent. Hope he proves me wrong.

HP3 likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, I am also dissappointed in Jabari, but he wasn't getting open shots earlier in the year, as teams were guarding him, now they are WANTING him to shoot and sort of ignoring him - which is bad in and of itself.

If all we get at the number 3 pick is a Tervor Ariza player, that is pretty horrible drafting picking top 5 means you are looking for an all star, not Kwami Brown.

DD

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He will. Pessimists going to pessimize.

18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He’s absolutely a top five talent. Low IQ posters guage a player as a failure after 20 games on a team with the proven worst coaching staff in the NBA. They run zerp plays for the third pick in the draft. He needs to and will gain muscle and weight. Without it he still had 18 rebounds the other night. Jeesh…..

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

And playing better and better defense. He is going to be a great player.

Imanimal likes this.
  20. Risingred

Risingred Member

Is Silas really to blame?

Yes.

Is our roster simply not that good?

TBD. Silas never unleash the full potential of this roster. His game plan may work if we have Luka, but we don't. The result is, the players are playing out of their positions, the team just keeps losing, and the players are not getting the proper development.