1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Saturday Night Live still good?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Joe57/3, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Joe57/3

Joe57/3 Member

I think no. What do you think?

2. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

NO, BUT NOR DOES MAD TV

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Fellas....I gotta have more cowbell!!!

5. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Yes, more ofthen than not.

6. drapg

drapg Member

No. Hasn't been in 10 years.

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

It was good with the Will Ferrell cast - he made up for a lot of bad writing. Now, it's horrid - it boggles the mind that a writer exists who could make Amy Poehler unfunny.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Nope. I stopped watching it. Austin City Limits is where my dial is if I find myself at home at 10PM on a Saturday night.

9. SLA

SLA Member

I stopped watching too. It isn't that funny....sometimes I watch the music performances though.

Street Flava and that Show at the Apollo. :) and She Spies.

By the way, Happy Birthday Will Ferrell!

#9 SLA, Jul 16, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2003
  10. HoneyNut Ichiro

HoneyNut Ichiro Contributing Member

It's sucked ever since Carvey, Farley, Sandler and co left.

11. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I miss working in the building where they film that, I would come to work in the morning early and hang around the second florr to see if they were giving any tickets out. Got to see Lyle Lovette, Dixie Chicks, lots more. It is absolutely unreal how small that sound stage is... you would be AMAZED.

BTW, Tracy Morgan leaving breaks my heart...

I'm Brian Fellows!!!

12. RocketMan Tex

When I was a freshman at UT (1979:eek: ) I saw Shake Russell/Dana Cooper film Austin City Limits and I also saw Carl Perkins (Rest in Peace, Cat Daddy) film it. Yes it is a tiny sound stage.

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Dang. You were there when Berkely Breathed was drawing cartoons for the Daily Texan.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I watch the 5pm show so I can catch SNL (if I'm home).

SNL needs to figure out that JIMMY FALLON IS NOT FUNNY. He's in every skit and when it bombs, Fallon goes to the "pretend like I'm about to laugh" card. :rolleyes: Jimmy, this ain't the Carol Burnett Show, stop pretending to laugh when a skit bombs.

Ferrell carried the show for the last 5 years. Fallon isn't funny. Morgan was under-used. Horacio is under-used. Hammond could be the funniest guy on the show, but he's way under-used so we may never know. :mad:

End of rant.

15. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

the show sucked last year bad. Will Ferrell definitely carried that show. I loved his GWB skits and the ones where he played the keyboard.

16. RocketMan Tex

You bet I was. I didn't miss his comic strip for anything!

I've got a weirder one for you....

It was the end of August, 1979. I had just moved to Austin for freshman year, and I moved into the Contessa dormitory on Nueces. The Sunday of my first weekend in Austin, a week before classes started, I decided I would go out to see some music. I walked down Nueces to this club on 29th street called the Rome Inn. I paid $2 to get in. Longnecks were 75 cents each all night.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble played three sets from 9:30 PM until 2:00 AM.

There were no more than 15-20 people in the club the whole night.

17. RocketMan Tex

Truer words were never spoken.

18. coma

coma Contributing Member

I get chills just thinkin' about what that would be like.

19. RocketMan Tex

It was awesome, but it had a weird reaction on me.

I actually put the guitar down for 6 months or so because I couldn't imagine myself ever playing as well as SRV. I wound up hitting the books really hard.

I picked the guitar back up when I realized that different people had different styles, and all I had to do was come up with one of my own. By the end of my freshman year, I was playing the Cactus Cafe and Tavern on-campus, and Soap Creek Saloon and Steamboat 1874 off campus. But that night, I was just awestruck. SRV took the blues and stood it on it's ear. I couldn't take my eyes off of his left (fretboard) hand.

I met SRV and partied with him at Fitzgeralds here in Houston 2 or 3 years later and told him the story. He just smiled, shrugged his shoulders, and took another sip of Crown Royal. Even at that time, before he got really big, I'm sure he was hearing alot of stories like that.

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It was funny with Ferrell, then it fell apart and now two of the funnier guys there who were grossly underused at times are gone (Morgan and Kattan). They need to find some new talent and fast. That includes writers as well.