1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Russ our new MVP?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Feb 29, 2020.

1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Via small ball, it is now clear to me that we now win when Russ can carry us on his back

The way he attacks the basket opens up opportunities for the rest of the team

Russ does most of the heavy lifting which frees up Harden, Covington, PJ and the rest of the crew

Thoughts?

2. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

3. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Russ has been playing great. But the difference between Harden and Russ's efficiency of finishing near the rim is largely due to the fact that, when Harden is penetrating, Russ's defender can always leave him open and help; not the case when Russ drives.

I would say Harden created more opportunity for Russ than the opposite.

ilias, King1, robgue and 25 others like this.
  4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I wouldn't say he's the MVP but he's probably the guy that should have the ball the most. Harden can get his in so many different ways and offers spacing for Russ.

bballjunkie and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

If you don"t know **** about basketball yeah.

6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Why does it have to be one of the other? We need them both. Both can takeover a game or keep us in a game while the team is struggling. It's a joy to see James has someone to lean on now. James is one of the reasons WB is playing so well. His impact and attention allow this. Even when he's off he opens things up for others. Im just happy to have both. I don't take this for granted.

Relativist, King1, robgue and 16 others like this.
  7. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Russ is the anchor of our small ball strategy

His FG % is as good or better than any big as he can get a layup or dunk at will

His rebounding is like a big and has really shown his leadership to be the man on this team

I think all the players view him as their leader

PeterKingX, hakeem94 and Greedydex like this.
  8. StrawberryJamm

James Harden being the MVP helps Westbrook be the MVP.

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are Dual MVPs. The Dynamic Duo. Double Trouble, Brothers in Arms, Awesome Amigos, Fire and Fury, and most definitely the perfect combination of skill sets.

They don't both have to have a good night to win. One doesn't have to be called the MVP. We don't need to fight over who we like better. Together they are unstoppable. Even if one has a bad night they can still score 60 points between them! Now that's cool. We get to watch the best duo in the league wearing Rockets jerseys. This is as exciting as the old days of the Championship days. I'm loving it!

10. Blurr#7

Leadership is overrated, his FG is great because we have Harden and a open lane. Without Harden on the court Russ would end up being double teamed or teams would pack the paint. I'ts just like the CP3 situation, you need someone who can convert when James draws attention.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I was patient, but it's clearly time to go ahead and start throwing some people on ignore.

The last few weeks have led to some absurd threads.

12. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I think Russell is like Batman and Harden is Robin

Together they will take us to the promise land along with Covington, Gordon, Tucker etc.

Harden had too much on his shoulders to be the alpha dog to win games for us

Now with Russell taking that role and Harden filling in I agree with you it is exciting and we now officially have possibly one of the best duos in the league

TMAC3, travfrancis and deb4rockets like this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

His skill is also not given enough credit by a lot of people. Open lanes or not, nobody on our team can zip between the defenders like him and score so easily. Nobody comes close.

14. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

agreed . no one in the league does that better than russ

jcmoon and deb4rockets like this.
  15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Who cares. They are both on our team

16. bongman

bongman Member

Does it get us more W's, if not who cares?

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. Blurr#7

I disagree, his skill is the reason we run the offense we run it’s been mentioned plenty, we’ve unlocked the best version of Russ. But like I said without Harden it doesn’t work. Just like CP3, we need them both at their best come playoffs

18. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

it very well could

every team needs to have the alpha that the team plays off of

as of recently since small ball, russell has been the man and we are winning with this

I think the torch was passed after this game

Russ dominated the celtics in boston to a one point win. it is Russ's Rockets now

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Harden absorb attention, open lane, westbrook can freely attack. Without wb, harden has no reliable teammate to score. Without harden, wb isn't gonna drive that easily. team effort, i don't care which mvp shows up

Relativist and Gimmmethemike like this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I guess we just disagree then.