1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Roger Clemens History

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pirc1, Feb 13, 2008.

?

Is Roger Clemens finished for lying to congress

1. Yes, he is finished!

36 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. No, he was telling the truth!

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Not sure

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Is he done, gone, finished and going to jail for lying to congress!

I think he is toast!

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

burden of proof required in a court of law is considerably more than what we need to see or hear to form strong opinions. I personally am convinced he used steroids and HGH, but I also am just as convinced that nothing presented so far would come close to getting him convicted.

I'd alter the poll options. Not done, but guilty is my answer.

Evan

3. pirc1

McNamee claims he has the needles and other physical evidence from 5 years ago! I am sure DNA test will show it was Clemens.

4. pirc1

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No, man... sorry... I don't mean anything against YOU, per se... but, damn, I'm tired and irritated from seeing only CLEMENS this and McNAMEE that in bold on the Astros/Texans forums... :(

On top of that, the Hangout begins to get saturated with these threads that ask a SEPARATE question...

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

stuff that hasn't been verified and is already under a decent amount of fire anyway. No one has a clue what they would show or if it would hold up in court. The DNA would be coming either from white blood cells or skin tissue, and I don't know how much could be isolated from the gauze or needles. Even beyond that, the defense would pull for reasonable doubt that McNamee took these needles and introduced the HGH after Clemens got the "real" injection.

Pretty obvious doesn't equal beyond a reasonable doubt. Especially when the defense lawyers are millionaires.

Evan

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

im sure they won't be allowed in any court proceeding because there's zero chain of custody to point to their reliability.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I believe Clemens is lying, and is guilty.

That being said, I don't think he can be convicted, as to me there is still some small measure of reasonable doubt.

So, in conclusion, Yes, he did it, but if I was on a jury, I would not convict him of perjury.

DD

9. pirc1

Is there a test for the age of the HGH? For example to show that the HGH was from the same time period as blood or other body tissues?

10. MadMax

they can't even test for HGH in a player today, as far as i understand it. there are no reliable tests. that's the magic of HGH....as i understand it, it's undetectable.

11. pirc1

So if Clemens sticks to his words he is going to get off on technicality?

12. MadMax

Depends on who you believe.

I don't believe it's technicality. I believe people are innocent until proven guilty. That one of the major reasons for that is because defendants can't prove innocence...they can't prove a negative....can't prove that they didn't do something. Frankly, I can't prove I never used HGH. All I can do is exactly what Roger is doing right now...deny it.

13. pirc1

Well in the end it comes down to people, how does the congress work? Do they vote or have to be like the jury where everyone agrees for a conviction?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This isn't a trial.

15. pirc1

Then how do they convict you for lying to congress? Does the FBI takes over and prosecute the case?

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Like any other criminal proceeding, they hold a trial in a court (in this case federal court)

You're proven guilty and you go to federal pound me in the ass prison.

17. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

ohhhhhhhh snap, roger getting pissed. just give it up

18. pirc1

Looks like most people believe he used HGH. Good luck to Clemens at a trial. ;)

19. MadMax

This is what's so stupid about this. And some of the representatives keep pointing this out. If he's done something illegal, indict him. Take him before a court.

This proceeding is worthless. Nothing comes of it. Just like the Mitchell Report. Nothing has happened. Baseball is no better off for it.