1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is rape under the terms and conditions for Comcast customers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy then Comcast.

2. Summer Song Giver

You are no longer an individual, you are no more important than your role as an individual cog in the greater Orwellian machine.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its not a matter of how much electricity its using. To answer your question, if someone should use the hotspot continuously, it will amount a couple shiny coins at most.

What matters is they are using your house(your power) as an easement for an improvement on their service. The wireless 2.4Ghz is unlicensed, so anyone can use it and can't make claims even if its coming out of their device. However, since you are using your power to provide it, you do have a right to who can access the device. If it were an opt-in service, that would be fine and wouldn't be an issue.

I haven't seen anywhere denoting how they would solve option #2. Maybe you are misunderstanding your actual data bandwidth compared to the wireless power (strength) degrading as more users jump on your router. And widening your channel width is a bad idea.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

ehhh I give out my password to my neighbors anyway so its whatevs

1 person likes this.
  5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

So many misinformed people here.

Lets get some facts straight.

1. This "hotspot" will only be available to XFINITY customers. I don't think some person is going to be randomly streaming Netflix off of your account, especially when they're paying for service of their own. A good example of use would be lets say you're playing basketball at a park, and there's a house nearby with this "xfinitywifi" service, you can login using YOUR OWN Comcast credentials (Comcast knows who you are), and get wifi access on the go.

2. The word hotspot makes it seem like some sort of free wifi access zone for EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOMMA. It's not. It's simply a secondary SSID broadcasting from (THEIR modem/router, not yours. You're leasing it. Look at your terms and conditions).

3. This network operates on a different subnet than your own personal network. No one is going to be able to access your stuff. How many of you have files hosted on a NAS on your personal network? Yeah, I didn't think so. The majority of people aren't going to be sniffing out your network with some childish software they found or some linux based packet sniffing.

4. Don't like it? I don't recommend opting out, I recommend buying your own modem/router. Plus you save $7 a month in doing so. Oh, and no they can't add the hotspot feature to your own personal router.

5. I can't confirm but I would assume there shouldn't be interference. Why? I don't think Comcast engineers can be so stupid as to put both of these networks on the same channel, or a channel near it. There are three channels completely separate of each other. 1,6, and 11.

6. Bandwidth is going to be consumed? First of all, they've allocated bandwidth for this. It's cable, not ****ty ass Uverse ADSL. You're not going to suffer whatsoever. Also, there is no bandwidth cap in Houston. Don't believe me? Log into your Comcast account and check. Even if there were, they've said it won't count against your bandwidth. Because you know... REMEMBER THAT ONLY COMCAST SUBSCRIBERS will be able to log-in.

There is a workaround though.

There's nothing to stop me from giving out my Comcast credentials to let someone access one of these "xfinitywifi" SSID's. Similar to how people share their cable log-in so others can use ESPN360 and WatchTNT

Edit: I spelled "their" wrong

#45 Scionxa, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  6. Space Ghost

This is where I disagree. Vast majority of routers are set for auto. Typically, a router uses the same channel to rebroadcast on multiple SSID's (if the router is capable). This is the most efficient way and the wisest way to do it.

Rebroadcasting the hotspot on a different channel is a terrible idea. This service is a gimmick. Not a whole lot of people will use it. That said, if a different channel is used, all they are doing is creating a crapton of unnecessary noise. For spread out neighborhoods, its not that big of a deal. But for apartments, its a really big deal. When your device is fighting 50 different access points to reach its intended destination, that can and will cause connection issues.

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The vast majority of routers that are set to auto default to 6. So set yours on 1, problem solved.

Comcast is adding a value-add service for free. If you are driving around town, you can now easily find a hotspot at no cost.

You can opt out or buy your own modem.

Of all the things in this world to be worried about, this is LOW on the list.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

tl;dr

I deactivated.
    I will actively and pettily fight Comcast on anything and everything I can.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I can't argue against that. That's true. I wasn't thinking of apartments when I wrote it but yeah, I can see that causing issues. Most routers can do site surveys nowadays, I wonder if they're pushing out firmware updates that will allow the hotspot to be activated on the least congested channel? Personally, a roll out of the hotspot on the 5ghz band would have been nice but then it'd be useless due to penetration issues. Might as well call that Sprintfinity

10. Space Ghost

Its not a bad idea. I just wonder how useful it will be.
    Speaking of 5ghz, I wish 802.11p took off.

11. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Once again, ladies and gentlemen...

COMCAST SUCKS

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/this-may-be-the-worst-customer-service-call-in-history-91851980684.html

(Click on the link to listen to the recording)

Comcast Serves Up What May Be the Worst Customer Service Call in History

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Google Fiber where the **** are you???

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Tell me why I just googled "Fiber where the **** are you"

Lmfao

1 person likes this.
  14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL, if you did this just made my day .

15. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Lol, if you google it this thread comes up

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

When I signed up for their 50mb internet for $29 a month, the lady at the xfinity store told me to come back to her to get the promo deal again when it runs out and to avoid their telephone reps.

18. dback816

dback816 Member

Why is this being compared to rape?

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Smaller yet visible cities that are easier to connect; Austin & San Antonio.

Fibering-up Houston would be a massive undertaking and could cause some PR issues for Google.

20. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Lack of choice for most American consumers because there is an oligopoly, if not a monopoly, where they live. To fix this, the FCC should have regulated telecoms infrastructure the way they did phone lines so additional competition would be easier. Instead, there was a free market, and hence the status quo.

Another fix would be to make internet access a public utility like roads. The barrier to entry to beat Comcast is very, very high because laying down the 'pipes' and other equipment costs oceans of money.

Americans pay the most, yet obtain the slowest and crappiest in terms of customer service internet versus the rest of the world (like our healthcare system).