1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is paytexastoll.com a scam?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Apr 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Received a letter for a bill of $2.34. $1.34 for the toll and $1 for processing fees.

They said a vehicle with a license number I don't own ran this toll on 183A a month ago. I called them and asked for information on this vehicle and they couldn't provide it. They asked me to tell them what vehicle I owned and I got kinda mad and told them they are the one telling me I violated the toll, you give me the description of this vehicle.

The lady pauses for a good minute and tells me not to worry about it. She said the plate number was mixed up with mines? (when it's not even similar to the plates I currently own) and they'll disregard the bill.

This is just too fishy imo. Don't they take pictures of the vehicles that violate tolls? On top of that, wouldn't the plate number go to the owner through txdmv?

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Hurry and send them a picture of your DL and your SS number. I heard these fines are a real pain in the ass to deal with. Better get it done meow than later.

3. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Fine is at least $30 + 3 toll violations. Sounds like a scam to me. In addition, they let you call and create a toll account and waive the fees.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I got a bill from them as well a while ago for like 2 bucks.

Turned out it was a car I had sold over a year ago. They had a picture of the plates and it matched it.

I paid it and then informed the DMV I had sold the vehicle to release me from liability.

5. chow_yun_fat

Here's the weird part. I filled out the vehicle transfer notification a couple of months ago on a vehicle I sold 5 months ago. It shouldn't take that long for them to update the records? On top of that, I removed the license plate and registration sticker prior to the sale (Nov 2014).

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

It's just 2.34 USD. A small amount to pay to a avoid potential lawsuit and credit collection agencies coming after you.

7. chow_yun_fat

You're right and I was considering paying it, but she told me I was off the hook. Regardless, I wouldn't feel right because it's like admitting guilt for a crime I didn't commit. Sure it's a small fine, but what's next? They get money from me and they feel like they can milk more money from me later so they'll do it again?

Btw, USD?, you don't live here in the states? lol

8. Buck Turgidson

It's legit, but....

MSB provides toll bill processing services for the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority

The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority is an independent government agency created in 2002 to improve the transportation system in Williamson and Travis counties. Our mission is to implement innovative, multi-modal transportation solutions that reduce congestion and create transportation choices that enhance quality of life and economic vitality. Click Here for more information about the Mobility Authority.

Municipal Services Bureau ("A Private Corporation")

Municipal Services Bureau is the toll payment processor for the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority. MSB can assist you with questions related to your toll bill or notice of toll violation and can process your payment.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah it was way late for me too. When I got the first bill it was like 7 months after I had sold the car.

Easier to just pay the couple bucks and get it over with.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I got a toll bill from Houston (which I have not been to in years) for plates that were completely old and were replaced. Turns out neither the car model or plate reading was correct. But, how the hell do they still have old plates in their system and expect you to pay when you have since got newer plates? Wasted 40 minutes of my life resolving that bs!

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Just had to deal with the people at Harris County Toll Authority. Got a collections letter for over $100 and called to see what was going on. Long story short they've had my license plate number wrong, with a letter O instead of a zero, and I've been getting random charges for the past year.

$20 worth of tolls and $80+ worth of fees. They dropped the admin fee but left on the collections fee. I didn't have time to continue to argue so I just paid it.

My vote is for scam.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

So you let it F your credit up..........Get a delete letter for that collection.

Paying collections is an awful idea as they disappear after 7 years.

Only reason you pay, is for the delete letter.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Seriously wtf is going on with the errors. I got a bill for my car when it was in another state. They said they made an error in the plate. Is it cause some jack hole without a tag and similar plate is using the toll road? For processing I'm sure a computer is reading the plate and making errors.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I didn't pay the collection agency, I contacted Harris County Toll and paid them directly. The collection agency didn't own the debt and it hasn't shown up on my credit report.

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Just an FYI, anytime you receive a web address you want to verify, perform a WHOIS search at http://www.who.is.

This clearly isn't an official Texas site. It may be "outsourced" but as a citizen you are not required to go through third parties for official state business.

http://who.is/whois/paytexastoll.com

If it has hidden WHOIS data (via Domain by Proxy), don't trust it. If it is an "official" site it will have official company or government information listed. Domain by Proxy is generally only used by individuals, small businesses, shell corporations and scammers.

16. chow_yun_fat

I actually did that and saw it was registered under Gila? LLC, that's why I made the thread.

17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Basically I think they are a bill collection outsource that the government/counties either farm out the collections to - or they buy the fines as "debt" for pennies on the dollar and try to get you to pay it in full or at a reduced price. Much like credit recovery companies do.

Either way, you aren't required to pay them. I got a parking ticket for parking too close to a fire hydrant in Houston about 4 years ago. Lucky for me, I knew the area was a haven for parking tickets (Washington Ave) so I took a picture of my car in relation to the stop sign before leaving it.

I've never paid the parking ticket (I sent the city my picture), so the city sold it to a debt collection agency. I sent the collection agency the picture and the metadata and told them to GTFO.