1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Paul Millsap Daryl Morey's free agent target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mike_lu, Nov 24, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Jazz have invested much into Paul Millsap's career. As you saw with the Deron Williams trade, they are a team that if they feel like they are going to lose a player in free agency, they will trade that player beforehand to get assets back in return.

Paul Millsap, if the Jazz aren't planning on re-signing him, will be traded this February. Highly doubt he ever makes it to free agency.

Millsap drastically helps this team right now I agree, and he is a severly underrated (Morey-type) of player, but Im just not sure he fits into the makup of how this team is constructed moving forward, unless they can get him on a value contract deal as a veteran type.

If they are going to go the Millsap route long term(meaning they re-sign him too with a good chunk of their capspace next year), they are probably better off setting their sights on a player that adds many more dimensions like a Pau Gasol, Al Jefferson, or even Josh Smith. Pau being the best of those players.

If Morey strikes out on the big name 2nd star player then I guess its possible that he "settles" on an older more established player, but I just dont see it. However, If Morey can obtain someone like Millsap, and still retain the assets, & capspace to still go after that secondary star then Im all for getting him.

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You are correct about the OP saying that Morey wants a stretch 4 but I'm not sure that I see any evidence of that.

In the past Morey has pursued both Pau Gasol and Amare Stoudamire who certainly are not stretch 4s. He has been looking for star level talent and it doesn't really matter what position or style they play. His approach seems to be to keep flexibilty to acquire two stars and then worry about putting the pieces around them.

In the draft he simply selects the Best Player Availble (BPA) regardless of position. None of the PFs he's drafted in the last few drafts are truely stretch 4s. Yes Jones and Montejunes can occasionally step out and hit a 3 but that's not their strong point.

Like others I don't think that we sign someone just because we have space available. Morey has already shown that he's willing to wait for the right deal to come along. Most likely it won't be the obvious FA signing that many expect. More likely it will be him capitalizing on the financial troubles of another franchise to swoop in an acquire a player that really shouldn't be available under normal circumstances (think Harden).

The new more punitive tax rules that are kicking in are going to cause problems for several teams. There will be several teams that are going to get hit hard and if they are not in title contention the they may have to make moves that they normally wouldn't make. Memphis is a team that fits that description but there are others that will be in the same situation. If Memphis doesn't feel that they have a legit shot at a title in the next couple of years then who do they move? Would Zach Randolph be in play?

I don't think Morey is going to use up our flexibility to acquire a guy who makes us better but doesn't truely make us a contender. I think he'll wait it out and then when he does make a move it won't be one of an obvious move.

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Aelliott said it right. Millsap makes us a playoff team, but not championship quality. That's a mistake that lesser gms would make, but one that Morey has proven he will not.

This team is young and has nothing but upside, and the value of the trade chips is only going up. Time is our friend, but the enemy of teams w financial issues w the upcoming cap constraint. So we will wait.

Everyone is thinking in a linear way -- using our cap space to land a player -- now that we have one star in harden.

It is equally likely that we can use the space to take on a bad short term contract for other considerations, like a draft pick, and keep gathering chips. Remember, Morey spent some of his chips getting harden. He can and will load up for the next godfather offer for the next time that a max type player comes free.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Most seem to forget that Morey has come to his senses and is rebuilding the Rockets with young players of talent.
    It is obvious that we are going to have more than this season and possibly the next one as well before we are challenging the top teams with a run for the championship.

Paul Millsap from Utah and Gasol from the Lakers will be well beyond their peak years and both will be much too expensive.

Remember the Rockets have won two championships and reached their plateau on the backs of young players gained through the Draft. It took about ten years of building from Draft to Championship.:p

1 person likes this.
  5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Millsap will be too expensive, but he's only 27, about seven months older than Asik. Will Asik also be beyond his peak and not part of the core by then?

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

In Morey's halftime interview he stated that he expects D-Mo to soon be in the NBA. Machado not so much. From the tape it looks apparent to me.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yep. And after years of forth row behind the Rockets bench seats at the games, I moved to upstate NY. I had to watch on TV as the white Blazer slowly moved through traffic. Tragic. I tell you. Tragic.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This is the way I would have normally thought but remember we won't have max cap space again after 2014. That's when we have to start actually paying Chandler Parsons. So, I would assume Morey does something big with this cap space before that time.

9. jocar

jocar Member

Excellent point, and exactly what us impatient people wanna hear. The Parsons Project
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jOymHEdiPts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    was a success, and he's even stepped up as our vocal leader/lockdown artist in Batman's absence. When he has games like the one against NY, I'm sometimes actually hoping he'll cool down or get benched, so that the secret doesn't get out. He will get paid (but as an unrestricted FA in 2015).
    BR:
    "The Rockets slightly overpaid Parsons for his draft position. As a second rounder two years ago, the Rockets paid Parsons like a late first-round selection. Parsons got a few more bucks up front, along with a little stability, but the Rockets got an absolute steal in return. What's even more amazing is that Houston has team options for Parsons after this season and next.

So although Parsons—who's averaging 15.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists while shooting 47 percent—can become a free agent after this season, the Rockets would be crazy to let that happen.

Houston will exercise its option at the earliest possible opportunity, which will once again make Parsons the most underpaid player in the NBA next season."

Allstar-ish FA's (SG excluded)
    2013: CP3, DH, Bynum
    2014: Lebron, Cousins
    2015: Melo, Kyrie, LMA, Love, Bosh, Unibrow, M. Gasol, Chandler

How do you attract these guys? By winning. By being 1 star short of a playoffs/championship contender, and convincing them that they are that guy. Or with Ipads. 2015 is the goal imo, so a short term contract with any of Milsap/Al/Smoove/Gasol/even Landry wouldn't affect a max signing. Mentor the rooks, establish ourselves as a perennial playoffs contender, turn some heads, and make Houston a target. And Asik needs paint help asap- before he burns out.

Very OT -just came across this.....
    "Tracy McGrady last minute mistakes Fujian foreign aid counteroffensives third lore" (online translator wins again)
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XX1P2NVT8Wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

2pat is better.

12. SRR21

SRR21 Member

I still want him Utah is playing him at SF should be at PF.

13. slabhurta

slabhurta Member

why invest so much money into him....when he is a marginal upgrade over 2pat when 2pat is counting not much at all against the cap. I'm all for upgrading....but for some one who is a major upgrade over 2pat....but I'm cool with letting them all develop too.

14. prs325

prs325 Member

I think the big fish that Morey is targeting are the likes of KLove, Cousins and to a some extent LMA. JSmith does not look like a Morey type of a player and although efficient, Milsap is not the secondary allstar that will carry the team to the promise land. I see Milsap as a solid role player, contributor type to a championship team much like a Haslem or Leon Powe type

15. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Millsap is not playing up to par so no, he's not the Rockets target.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Millsap is a 16 ppg guy... not just any role player
    He is somewhere between an allstar and role player....likely not enough
    We wish to have a 20 and close to 10 guy

17. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

glad you're not the GM.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i think that's pretty insulting to Millsap.
    as far as status on a championship team, i'd say more Lamar Odom / Rip Hamilton / Horace Grant and such

19. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Certainly wasn't a great game by Millsap. Better than he showed in the game. Also thrown a little off rhythm by playing a bit of 3 this year.

Let's see how he goes as we go deeper into the season.

20. AbrahamLincoln

Millsap has played extensively and has developed. Asik has not. This is his first season ever seeing extensive minutes. They may be close in age but that's about it. Asik has shown vast improvement in the first 16 games. Personally, I don't want Josh Smith or Millsap. To much will be given to receive a player that is valued as they are.