1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Paul Millsap Daryl Morey's free agent target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mike_lu, Nov 24, 2012.

1. basketballholic

He draws a lot of fouls too.

2. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I would hate to sign Millsap just to keep us a low playoff seed. If were not getting a superstar, don't bother wasting your money.

3. basketballholic

Apparently you don't think he's any better than what we have. We're already a low playoff seed.

4. basketballholic

Very simply put, Paul Millsap is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He's a plus player on both ends.

1 person likes this.
  5. nono

nono Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

6. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

P-Mill (not to be confused with Patty Mills) is a beast on 2k.

I run a front court of Millsap, Favors & Big Al. Ain't shyt the opposing team can do about it. :grin:

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If we can get him for 12M or a bit more for 4-5 yrs,I would say yes. Millsap can be moved for a low lottery pick to a team with cap room,if he doesn't pan out for us.
    DH may not be obtainable,but Morey should go after him first.

8. prs325

prs325 Member

Morey is after a Bigger fish

9. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

if we can pry DH12 away from the Lakers it won't be a straight FA signing, it'll be a S&T that gives DH12 more money and for the Lakers to get something in return. it'll be something like Asik + Lin + DMo that matches DH12's contract. therefore, getting DH12 won't hurt our chance signing Millsap. ;)

Howard, Smith, Tim
    Millsap, Jones, TRob, White
    Parsons, Delfino
    Harden, Anderson
    Beverley, Brooks

if this happens we might try to trade TRob+Brooks for a starting PG, maybe Jose Calderon who can shoot and run a team to team up w/ the Beard.

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Paul Millsap might be a'ight. I wish he shot the three ball a bit better. You know Patterson had a semi-monster year - a lot of you just don't realize. I'd argue he was the second best stretch 4 in the entire league when you consider 16-23 feet and beyond three. Well, maybe third if you consider Dirk. Anyway, though, unlike a lot of the idiots on this board think, Patterson's not a dime a dozen. And he's not alone in having somewhat pedestrian rebounding - this ain't the days of the 15-10 PF anymore. Heck, these aren't the days of the 13-8 PF. I just don't get that trade....just does not make sense.

11. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Say what you want about how flawed RAPM his, but you can have a great RAPM year and year and be a bad player.

2011: http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/
    2012: http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/2012.html
    2013: http://talkingpracticeblog.com/

He's is also a better defender than most people give him credit for according to Sports Synergy, he creates alot of turnovers with his ability to steal the ball, and that could bolster our transition offense.

Another selling point with Millsap is his ability to knock down corner 3's (made 6 out of 10 this season) and I can see him utilizing that ability more with all the open looks he will get in Houston. If we have learned anything this season, it's that our offense flows alot better when we have 4 guys who can space the floor.

If our choice is between Josh Smith and Millsap, I would choose Millsap. And I don't think that would rule out our chances to get Love or Aldridge, if anything it gives us an extra trade piece that we can use in a 3-team trade if Portland/Minny would prefer youth + picks.

Josh Smith has been very lazy on help defense this season and during the playoffs by his usual standards, which puts a huge stain on his biggest selling point.

Thoughts?

12. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Based on those adjusted +/- stats, Millsap may be the most underrated player in the league. He's not a go-to player on offense and doesn't dominate a game the way Dwight Howard can, but then Josh Smith doesn't qualify for that either.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Defensive stats are worthless.

Unless you know the defensive strategy of the team, there's virtually nothing useful you can garner except for maybe lane protectors.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

60% from corner three?? You may have won me over right there. I think he might be a great fit. I wonder how much he'll command? He kind of faded down the stretch for the Jazz.....

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'd love Millsap if we get Howard, otherwise it's a waste of money that won't get us closer to a title.

Millsap can shoot, rebound, and play D. He would be a spectacular compliment to Howard and Harden, plus the ability to get his own shot.

But only with Howard.

17. Aleron

Players haven't gotten more money from a s&t since the new cba was signed in 2011.

18. Aleron

the problem with millsap is someone who just wants to make the playoffs and sell tickets will pay him up to $15m a year

19. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

If we don't get Howard this summer, I am all for getting JSmoove or Millsap. Josh is still a better player who plays above the rim, while Millsap is somewhat undersized.

If the choice is between Josh at 15M and Millsap at 11-12M, I will go for Millsap. If Josh costs anything less than $40M/3, you get him!

However, if we can get Dwight this summer, I don't believe Morey will trade Asik for either Millsap or Smoove. We will lose 4-7M more in cap flexibility and leave little to no room for other role players.

It makes more sense if Morey trade Asik for someone who can provide almost the same output as them AND for a lot less. Trading for Ryan Anderson at the same salary as Asik or Amir Johnson at $6M makes more sense.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey's fascination with tweener PF is a product of him not having the chance at superior draft picks. Not because he likes it. Smaller towards tend to have a more polished game because they need it to succeed against bigger PFs