1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Parsons our long term answer at SF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, May 3, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You must have never watched Robert Horry play in Australia. He actually played great defense.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

How is perimeter defense not a weak area for us? We can get away with it now for the simple reason we can afford 11 fouls from our centers and still have elite rim protection. When Asik is gone, we won't have that anymore.

We have got to protect Howard, and that means better defenders on the outside.

Again, this all presumes we get either Melo or Love. Both are significantly better offensive players than Parsons, so we shouldn't take a step back, assuming we can find another guard that can shoot and attack the basket.

1 person likes this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Member

So go get Love or Melo, see how it plays, then address that team's weaknesses.

Parsons is a good player, and you don't give away good players.

4. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

Horry was my favourite player beside Olajuwon. Parsons has the potential to be as good a defender as Horry, but has regressed since his rookie season...I put that on the coaching staff that has put a major emphasis on offence over defence.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Not suggesting we "give him away". Just doing some strategic planning. And if you're including Parsons in a trade for Love, you need to have a plan in place to fill your SF void.

6. langal

langal Member

He meant expandable in the pants region.

7. yunac010

yunac010 Member

If we keep Parsons then we need a coach who is willing to bench him when he sucks. McHale gives him too much leeway, and now his ego has blown up.

8. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

It seems like we have a lot of glue guys. No wonder the ball gets sticky...

9. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Chandler Parsons's game is nothing like Robert Horry's.

10. Aleron

Aleron Member

I must say i've lost faith in Parsons, he just doesn't seem to do the little things, or what the team needs, instead he's playing for a newer bigger contract.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Member

Hakeem wasn't even a rocket for life. why should parsons be?

12. jamphus

jamphus Member

If he still get this kind of salary, it's totally worth it.
    Buw if he earn more than 10M/yr, I'd say let him go.
    It's lots of alternative out there.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He has averaged 19 PPG and 7 RPG so far in his 12 playoff games. Unless throwing him in becomes necessary to add Love or Melo, he goes nowhere. His slashing and shooting ability make him a very valuable offensive weapon. The only reason our offense struggles sometimes is because we have an incompetent coach who refuses to run plays in the half court, not the lack of a 3rd scorer.

Defensively, I think he can still return somewhat to form. He isn't a liability like a lot of you seem to think, but he has fallen a long way from his excellent rookie season. Harden and Jones are far away the biggest defensive problems on this team, and we can fix one of those.

Although I'm sure as hell not a fan of the way he has been running his mouth, upgrading from Parsons isn't as easy as some of you think and financially his contract won't be signed until we are over the cap, so i ask, once you are over the cap what really if the difference between 8 mill and 12 mill a year?

14. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Parsons is our answer at SF at the moment especially with his cheap contract.

He has been regressing, especially on D. He is way overrated on clutchfans.

A 3rd option - just barely
    A future all-star - probably not

Batum owned him in the play-offs so I would rank Parsons a few levels lower than Batum. A good utility player maybe just out of the top 10 SFs in the league.

He would improve his value if he stuck with defense instead of trying to be a one on one scorer like Harden and Lin.

15. Moahst

Moahst Member

Interesting. I'm not sure Melo is a better defensive player.

16. Stack24

Stack24 Member

I just keep playing how many lay ups he missed in the last game.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

How in hell did Batum "own" Parsons. Offensively Parsons was better, and defensively the Blazers attacked whoever Harden was defending. SF was a wash at worst.

18. leebigez

leebigez Member

Yeah, I was wondering what dude was talking about. Parson is 25 and getting better. I think if the team was better at the pg spot,he could be a lot better. I would like to se parsons work on his post game. When teams decide to put a longer,bigger body on harden, parsons needs to be capable of posting up the other,smaller player and get himself or teammates good shots.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

If he'd still defend like in his rookie season it would be a no-brainer, but right now we desperately need great defenders and Parsons seems to be expendable considering the $ of a new contract.

20. Asian Sensation

He needs to work on his strength and conditioning. Hit the weight room son!