1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is my router Toast?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Apr 12, 2020.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This isn't really an IT forum,.but folks here are kinda techy. And my goggling isn't getting it done for me.

Since the quarantine started, my internet router (tp link CR500) has been randomly turning itself off. It is in a confined space (has been for a couple of years), so I've been giving it more space to breathe. I've blown out the vents for dust though there doesn't seem to be much of any. I've found it on my browser and ran some ineffectual troubleshooter. Sometimes it goes the whole day without a problem. Sometimes it'll die 30 times.

I'm about ready to chuck it and buy another. But maybe there's some thing I'm failing to do to fix this one. Any ideas? Or is it dead?

EDIT: oh and Happy Easter!

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe this is what happened to KingCheetah, too.

Just for clarity, is the router actually turning OFF/rebooting ... or is the WFi just dropping.

for the former, if you can’t solve it as a overheating issue, then I’d replace. If the router stays ON, but WiFi is flaky, let us now. Might be worth further discussion, but probably still replace it.

3. JuanValdez

Thanks. It's not dropping but actually turning off - lights out. I guess I'll start surfing for the replacement.

4. heypartner

Yeah, it might have started happening now because your family has increased the load, since stay at home orders ... or just coincidental

before replacing, make sure your power adapter has current voltage per router specs. And give it its own outlet ... no shared power strip.

#4 heypartner, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    B-Bob and JuanValdez like this.
  5. JuanValdez

Thanks for your help!

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Buy a REAL router instead of TP link crap.

Space Ghost likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

@JuanValdez I agree with @heypartner that it's just not keeping up with the load and is probably outdated to boot. I had a similar problem when my oldest got a cell phone (and started using wireless at home) and my younger ones watched youtube on our family room TV all day long. It's like trying to haul a boat with a Smart Car. You just need something better.

I picked up a Netgear Nighthawk X10 and haven't looked back.

daywalker02, Sajan and B-Bob like this.
  8. opticon

opticon Member

It may not be a bad idea to go to the TP Link website and see if there is a firmware update for the router.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I had a problem with my router where the power button spring broke and it wouldn’t stay in the “on” position. I had to jam a piece of tooth pick or something in there to stick it in the “on” position. I’ve had routers crap out like your talking about (Cisco routers usually....I gave up on them and changed brands) but this one was some kind of sick joke being played on me by an Internet deity or something. Who the f*ck can’t make a power button on a router last past a few messily pushes? Bastards!

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

that’s like putting spinning hubcaps on the SmartCar that’s trying to pull a boat. (J/K)

Sajan likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Can't remember who on this bbs turned me on to this...but I still laugh

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I suggest using a real surge protector and not just a power strip. The other thing I recommend is to check the firmware on your router but I looked and there doesn't appear to be an updated firmware. You have an Archer CR500 AC1200 cable modem router which means it is a combination modem and router so any replacement you get would need to be the same type of device. I'm not a fan of TP-Link devices so I'd recommend taking a look at Motorola or Netgear devices.

Now be prepared for a bit of sticker shock as the Netgear C6250 AC1600 is going for $119 on Amazon. The Motorola MG7540 AC1600 is a better deal at $129 also on Amazon as it has a 16x4 DOSSIS 3.0 modem and can handle speeds up to 686Mbps. Both offer faster wireless speeds and should be able to handle the increased traffic in your home. There's also the Arris Surfboard SBG10 at $119 that's similar to the Motorola device.

JuanValdez likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Hah, I thought you were talking about an actual surfboard and not some computer stuff, sorry.

Robert August it is:

[​IMG]

14. heypartner

I was expecting much more expensive. What modem/router combo would you suggest for a family of 8+?

@JuanValdez has a very large family. not sure if they all still live at home, but I'm thinking enough still do to bring current modem/router to its kness.

JuanValdez likes this.
  15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

sounds like it could be overheating

16. JuanValdez

It's just 6, c'mon. ;) But yeah, the youngest 2 just added cell phones to the mix, and now with working and schooling from home, this next router will be doing a lot of work. Appreciate the recommendations from everyone. Will probably go buy something today (though somehow the current router is doing just fine today).

Os Trigonum and heypartner like this.
  17. cml750

cml750 Member

As others have stated that router is a little dated and under-powered for today's online world however you could possibly try a third party firmware like DDWRT or Openwrt on it. The capabilities of some of these firmwares is really amazing and they can really wake up an older piece of equipment although it will never be as good as updating the hardware. Looking at the DDWRT database, it looks like your router is supported.

https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/?model=Archer C5 (AC1200)_1.x

heypartner likes this.
  18. heypartner

6 kids, right? I'm testing my memory.

19. JuanValdez

Good lord, I have enough trouble as it is.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

+1 on the recommendation of the surfboard. Have been very happy with that router (or similar version) in our home.