1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey's package for Denver better than the Knicks' or Nets'?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 18, 2010.

1. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

any package we offer is going to have to include Kevin Martin, one of our young power fowards and multiple picks. The trick is to keep enough assets to make a run at CP3 near the deadline.

2. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

[​IMG]

3. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

why would Melo agree to go to New Jersey is Lopez is gone?

4. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He wont go to New Jersey. They would have to get rid of their team around him to even get him. Knicks would offer the worst package with no first round picks or good players. The Rockets make the most logical choice. Which if this story is serious and he is serious and truthful about what he is saying? Morey should make him a Rocket or I am very dissapointed in Morey.

5. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

The only player really that I don't think Rockets can match possible potential is Favors. I highly doubt Lopez is leaving the Nets, and the Knicks have absolutely nothing to offer imo.

Budinger + Expirings + a Knicks pick (that gains in value like crazy if this trade goes through) + Possibility of Brooks, I think is a very good package. Gives them future potential with picks and you players and saves them a whole bunch of money.

6. bloop

bloop Member

The entire reason he wants a trade is to go to New York. Why on earth would he not go to New Jersey. Neither New York nor New Jersey are good teams. Whichever team he'd go to he'd go with the faith that either the Knicks can pick up a 3rd star in the next couple of years or that Prokhorov can make some moves.

Right now we have one unsourced report that Melo is open to coming to Houston. I guess that's possible but the first choice is obviously NY/NJ as Melo has repeatedly said. It's very possible that the Houston report is in fact leverage against New Jersey to let them know that the Nets and Knicks are not the only possible destination.

Who knows? Maybe when things are in place Melo could adjust his package for his extension with Denver in return for fewer assets or concessions from Denver with New Jersey. Anything is possible after Lebron to Miami.

Melo is the one young star who actually won an NCAA and can lead a ****ty team to the playoffs every year. He doesn't need a lot of pieces to start with he's going to be confident that teams can build around him and he's young enough to wait in return for getting out of a city that he doesn't appreciate and a franchise that's stalling.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Haha... Package...

Haha

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Daryl Morey has a huge package...

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Never said he was,i'm just saying denver is in restart mode. Nene has this yr plus 1 or an option. Many think favors is more center than pf.Murphy is filler,but the team,any team will have to take nene and his contract.

DD, williams,favors,boone,murphy puts them at 20m worth of salaries. when you get that close, a player here,a player there will make the deal go down.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

If we get CP3 too our bench will be just like the Heat's, the likes of Alexander Johnson, Mike Harris, and Ish Smith.

But our starters would be even better than theirs!

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

A trade like this would solve quite a bit of problems. It's a perfect trade for the rockets, if they want to keep Martin. Billups can defend the smaller perimeter stars, Melo can defend the bigger ones (he isn't a great defender but he's at least average on most days) and Martin can take the weaker of the three perimeter players.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

OK. If he does thats fine. I am not gonna be the one stuck in New York and New Jersey wating in another sitaution for others to come join me and possible not happen. Rockets will move on. Hope he comes here and hope he has a great career there but would love to see him here with us before making an argument for reasons he needs to go to other clubs. Which I see none because if thats the case I think we could get Chris Paul here too if Paul really wants to play wioth Carmello.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Ok, if the Nets give up Favors, Williams, Boone and presumably draft picks, Anthony would not be moving to a championship contender. He would have to really love the prospect of going to the East Coast.

14. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

We would have to give up Brooks, Battier (they would cut him and we would re-sign), a young pf, and future picks.

PG: Chris Paul, Kyle Lowry
    SG: Courtney Lee, Chase Budinger, Jermaine Taylor
    SF: Carmelo Anthony, Shane Battier
    PF: Luis Scola, Chuck Hayes, Mike Harris
    C: Yao Ming, Brad Miller

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Melo,harris,morrow,nene,and lopez is a pretty good core in the east. Lopez is really good and getting better and nene is solid if not injured. I think he wants to be close enough to contending and be close enough to baltimore and new york. I'm not saying thats a great team,just a good enough team to do some damage and be closest to what he desires.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

finally some reaction! :grin:

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yep New Jersey is a good location. With Brook Lopez there and Devon Harris. Thats a pretty decent team for Carmello. Its not contending but its gets them into the playoffs until they make more moves or draft more players around him and signings.

18. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

That's what she said...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

OK, as far as the topic goes, I definitely think that we've got the legitimate pieces to put together a 'Melo deal. And when I say legitimate I mean the best. Morey's been stashing for a couple of years now in hopes of jumping on something like this. Now that the time has come, we shall see how this plays out, but we definitely have the resources available to make Carmelo Anthony a Houston Rocket.

19. parmesh

parmesh Member

I know one of Brooks, Battier, or Martin has to go in this trade. Possibly Budinger. If this was to happen. I know we'd net Melo, but I've really fallen in love with Brooks and Martin, and I feel like we gotta keep more than Hayes in terms of Defensive-minded players. And I do like Bud's potential. But I guess like Morey said you gotta give up talent to get talent...

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Count me in as rooting for Derrick Favors to be a real bust in that case.

And no I don't believe Melo would agree to be swapped for Lopez, essentially removing New Jersey of any chance to be competitive while he plays for them.