1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey's package for Denver better than the Knicks' or Nets'?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 18, 2010.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yeah he is a lot to take on now that i've checked out shamsports. and jesus denver is in luxury tax hell right now.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

that is a VERY interesting team to think about.

i really think we should try to get billups too. acquiring him would help get the nuggets out of luxury tax hell. we would probably have to do a trade like this including picks and possibly cash to organize some sort of buyout for battier and hayes to resign them here.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2e59ap5

and then use our trade exception to acquire balkman and birdman if we were to get both. that would get denver pretty much under the lux tax level and they would be almost completely reset for next year.

it looks like a pretty even trade when you consider the money and we gain a legit chance to win titles without putting all the weight on yao.

3. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

Will NJ/NY have the salary to match Melo's max contract, in a sign and trade deal (assuming Melo gets the max)? Why would Denver want Eddie Curry?

Also, chances are Melo will be the only good player on the Nets if traded their. Even LeBron balked at that idea this summer.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The deal houston will have to beat will be favors,williams,murphy,and a 1st rd pick, for anthony and nene contract.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Interesting, has to be more than that though...not enough salary coming back to Denver....

DD

6. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

Well, only Melo can determine the worth of wanting to be closer to home.

As for the value for value, i agree with that part. Having said that, it's almost a foregone conclusion that Denver will have to rebuild post Melo. Billups (34 yrs old) will sadly not figure into that mix. I expect the Nugs to ship him out as soon as they can as i'm pretty sure he wouldn't want the to be playing for a rebuilding team for the next 2 years at the twilight of his career. This is where i think AB comes into play.

My proposed trade would be something like this or a variation of it with AB and Martin being the center piece (posted this earlier on another thread too):

Nugs to Rocks Trade Proposal

That's where value for value comes in. They know they're not going to get the same value in return for Melo but they'll maximize their returns all the same. AB and Martin fit the mold better than anyone else we can give them in return. 2 young impact starters to kick off the rebuilding process for an all star. As i mentioned earlier, the Jeffries part would be the variable asset could be picks + emerging young stars, Battier, etc... That's what i think our main selling point will be. We'll give value to get value.

No, they won't have a hole in the SF. They just acquired Al Harrington whose skill set is more geared towards being a SF who's been know to score in bunches. I expect anywhere form 16-20 ppg from him and with Martin and Brooks, i doubt they'd be hurting for scorers.

As for NJ, I mentioned my arguing against them in my earlier post in this thread. They have no immediate assets they can trade without dismantling an already shallow roster which ultimately works against Melo himself....and no, doubt they'd want 30 yr old Murph to kick off their re-building.

I also posted my alternate trade from NY in my earlier post in this thread if you care to look at it. It's a nice rejuvenation of their front court but i doubt they'll have as much impact immediately as the 2 core players we were to offer. Basically promising Fs. Then again, they looked promising in dismal teams.

They have Birdman and K-Mart in their PF slots. K-Mart's return is still questionable as to when. Otherwise, pretty solid at that spot.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the deal you posted isn't possible.

it would have to be murphy for nene

and then

favor, williams, more players, and a first for anthony

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

New Jersey will not be willing to trade Lopez. What is the point of trading for Melo if you give away the little talent would have around him?

Favors and Gallo are not and never will be all-star players, they are role players.

Last time I checked, a guy like Aaron Brooks or Kevin Martin are both better than anyone that either of those teams have to offer. Not toe mention we have the Knicks lottery picks for the next 2 seasons along with an abundance of young talent that neither of those other teams have.

The only guy either of those teams have that would be a more valuable pice is Lopez, but that is not happening.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yao Ming?

;)

DD

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nene contract? You talk as if Nene is some sort of burdensome bad contract. Nene, in my opinion, is the 2nd best player mentioned in your post.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol how can you calll favors a role player? he hasn't played a game in the nba and he just turned 19.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He is the typical athletic type college player that NBA teams overrate into the top 5 of the draft. He will never be an all-star player. He will be on the same level as Tyrus THomas

13. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I am not too worried about the Knicks, but I am a little worried about the Nets offering Favors.

Kenyon is a free agent after this year, and they are going to need to find a repleacement...

I still think we would have the best to offer...honestly I would give them anyone they wanted...I would like to keep Martin and Melo together, but if push comes to shove, you have to do it.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Or he could become L. Aldridge, to soon to make those assumptions about a player and for a team rebuilding it's not a bad get.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

It should be. I fear Morey would lowball and it wont be. So its kind of useless talking about Carmello Anthony. Knicks have the inside track. They can offer the very limited things they have and probably get him. Unless we come strong with an offer. Which if you have a chance no mater what you should to get this guy. Who is everyone else gonna offer? Nobody of note we couldnt match. This one really is on Morey to win or lose unless Carmello wants New York much more.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The Rockets could start a deal using Kevin Martin who is a proven 20pt per game scorer and only 27 years old. Toss in a couple of 1st round picks thanks to NY. Add Budinger as sweetener if needed to close the deal and I don't see any team that can honestly offer what the Rockets can offer.

Kevin Martin - legit 20 point per game scorer
    Jarred Jeffries - 7mil expiring contract
    Chase Budinger - rising star
    2011 first round pick (probable lottery)
    2012 first round pick (probable lottery)

17. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I left out the 6.3 Million trade exception...are we able to use that right away?

18. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

ya and completely deplete our depth that we all covet so much

19. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I agree that lopez is going nowhere from NJ fast, they'll everything they can to hang onto him given that there are probably 5 legit back to the basket centers in the league these days.

Favors is up in the air, Dwight wasn't much beyond an athletic freak when he came in.....but athletic freaks especially around the 6'10 size seem to rreeaallll good on the defensive end, I think Favors has a better touch around the basket as Dwight too. He will never actually be Dwight obviously, that guy is a new definition of freak but I think Favor's ceiling is quite high.

Galo.....will never be an allstar...He is far and away no where neeeaaarr as good as SF's such as Granger, or Lebron. Then you got guys like Gerald wallace and even Pierce still that really outmatch him in athleticism anddddd skill. I recall Galo had one good game agaisnt melo this year where he went shot for shot for a while.....one good game doesn't make a player great....just ask t-mac after his knicks debut...

So yes, aside from the favors analysis I completely agree with you that houston has much, much more to offer denver than either team out east. The only problem I see is denver may not want to deal melo to a team in the west...especially a team that is one piece away from being amazing. I say they deal him to the knicks because he definitely won't help them do anything but fill seats.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Screw depth. Depth wont get us anywhere this season or next. Get Carmell Anthony here. You dont win without players like him in the starting lineup. Period.