1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey waiting for a specific date to move

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by krocket, Aug 11, 2009.

1. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

From an entertainment/business standpoint, Iverson would be a good move in this seemingly washed-out season, if you can sign him on the cheap...

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Now, I don't know if we'd WANT to sign Iverson, even as a stopgap get-people-to-buy-tickets sort of thing. I think Morey has either looked at a lot of options, as his appearance on 1560 two or three weeks ago might have implied. He stated options of "trading for an All Star talent, it's tough to win without one" (paraphrase).

But Morey also stated that this could mean a current All Star, an All Star-level talent (could be, perhaps, but isn't always selected or is still young enough where he could reach that goal?). And he even mentioned the possibility of former All Stars who have more tire on the threads than some believe. Which could be an Iverson or a Redd or a Ray Allen or whomever.

So either he's mulling his many options (likely) or he's throwing out a smokescreen because the deal he has in mind must have its place and time.

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I'm kinda on the fence about Iverson.

On one hand, he would provide offense. He seems to do well when he is on a team of hard working guys that don't care about needing the ball in their hands to create a shot (like back in Philly with that group). Maybe he would do well in a motion offense where he could get the ball in different places on the court. Would he have something to prove this year after a bad year in detroit? He would come cheap in this market. We would not be locked in to him for more than a year or two.

On the other hand, would he take up playing time and shots from our young guards? Would he be willing to buy into the team, knowing he is the only 'star' with Yao and T-Mac out?

I guess I have to trust Morey and Adelman on this one. I think they would know best what they were getting into with Iverson. I do think Morey has some other moves planned its just timing and letting the market settle out. There are still some good players out there to be had on the cheap. These guys will start needing to sign somewhere by mid September to be in camp to fight for a starting role. I think it will be similar to how we got Bonzi. We waited and he came to us for a last minute deal to be on a team. To bad he wasn't really prepared or motivated to play...

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

The lineup that strikes fear in the greatest AAU team. Man this is going to be a looooooong season. :(

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

No he's not.

No one on this team has high trade value right now.

If Aaron Brooks really steps up his games next season sure he can be one tempting chip.

6. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

I believe Morey is not waiting for a specific date but a specific type of a deal that would propel the team back into contention for next season. The only date He probably should consider is the trade deadline and what to do with the expiring contracts. Play with the players and let their contracts just expire and run the risk of getting nothing back or try to rebuild as early as Feb.?

7. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Minnesota willing to trade Quentin Richardson

"On Tuesday, Kahn said there was a chance Richardson will be moved before the end of the week. That would make him the second player -- joining Etan Thomas -- to be both acquired and traded by Kahn."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/53001637.html

8. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think Morey would sign Iverson for one dollar, let alone the veteran's minimum. For something like that to happen, it would have to be Les forcing the issue, and I don't think he's that desperate.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Battier, Landry, Cook, James White, and this year's #1 unprotected for QRick, Songaila, and the rights to Rubio???????

1 person likes this.
  10. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

WAY TOO MUCH!! I'd just do Battier, and Cook for Quentin Richardson

11. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Brooks/Lowry
    Richardson/Taylor/Budinger
    Ariza/White
    Scola/Landry
    Anderson/Hayes/Dorsey

12. ROXTXIA

Low dollar, high value: Aaron Brooks. Luis Scola. Carl Landry.

Medium dollar, medium value: Shane Battier.

Grotesque dollar, high value to cash-strapped team: Tracy McGrady

Expiring contracts, high value to cash-strapped team: Brian Cook, Brent Barry

McGrady's "I'm gonna come back strong and have the last laugh, you'll see" value will depend on the team he would go to and when or if they would need him. After all, part of the reason some teams are in tough times is they can't sell seats. They certainly won't sell any if Tracy is sitting on the bench.

13. TheBigAristotle

No. He really is going to war with this lineup, that's it.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm inclined to agree with you, in the sense that I don't think there are any moves just WAITING to happen.

Of course, I think Morey will be active throughout the year trying to find deals that will improve the Rockets for the long-term.

I think the Yao injury is, in a sense, liberating for Morey, since it will enable him to focus more fully on LONG-range planning instead of simply making short-term moves or some hybrid of the two that is less beneficial long-term.

15. Raven

Raven Member

The closer to the deadline, the better the offers for Shane, Tracy, and Luis will be.

The closer to the deadline, the longer Morey will have had to showcase the younger players.

The closer to the deadline, the more Morey and Les will know about Yao's progress.

The closer to the deadline, the easier it will be for Morey to predict the Rockets 2010 draft position as well as the likely draft position of any team offering us their first round pick for one of our players.

In other words, there are several excellent reasons why Morey would want to wait before unloading valuable trade pieces, so folks need to be patient and suck it up, because we might not see any major trades for another six or seven months.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

WHAT are you out of your mind???

the same Qrich that 3 of the worst teams in the nba (knicks, grizz, clips) all have traded away and now one of the fourth worst teams the twolves are trying to dump him too.

say NO to qrich

17. ABZERO

ABZERO Member

Where's the post of Doc Rocket saying the pre-season game that Blazers vs Rockets is interesting ? What was he trying to say then ?

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yes. The date is August 17th at exactly 2PM. Be ready

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

HELL YEAH!!!!

Oh wait, this isn't 2003, is it?

Q-Rich has a bad back, doesn't defend and cannot create his own shot anymore. I mean, even the Grizz didn't want him!

20. ROXTXIA

If it meant getting another $7,000,000 (Shane's salary) under the cap next summer, then Q-Rich would, actually, be a possibility. And 24 mpg at the swing spots. Or that aforementioned cap savings for another team as part of a larger trade. That's about it.