1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey waiting for a specific date to move

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by krocket, Aug 11, 2009.

1. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Is DMorey waiting for a specific date to pull a deal. He certainly isn't going to war with the current line-up is he? David Andersen may have been a good pick-up as a backup for Yao but he is a rookie NBA wise and, for that matter, so is Dorsey. We have 2 excellent small forwards and no first string 2 guard. Barry didn't produce last year and should we give him another chance to not produce this year? He should retire gracefully and make his father and brother proud of him.

I know we are not going for the title this year but Jeez. I don't want to rape the team to build a one-year competitive team. We must be able to do something though. I have heard some dates kicked around other than the trade deadline and , I am wondering if some of these might be triggers for a deal or two. What do you think ? These dates may apply to Rox or may apply to the other team (s) invoved.

2. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

don't see a reason to make a move as we're not going to be championship contenders this year. the only move we could make is for the future by acquiring young talent, but we already drafted JT and Budinger.

3. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

No, he is not waiting for a specific date, he is waiting until he can get fair value for the player/players he wants to trade....He has already accepted the fact that McGrady has to play first in order to get value back for him, and he is looking to make more moves, but he is taking his time in doing so

THIS IS NOT THE FINAL ROSTER

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

he'll come up with a master plan
    waiting is part of his game

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I am actually starting to get suspicious about the delay in actually signing David Andersen to his contract. Of course, there is the red tape involved with FIBA to get Andersen's basketball rights officially transferred to the NBA. But that should have been done by now.

Morey mentioned on a recent radio interview (I think it was 1560 AM) that Andersen's deal should be done by sometime THIS week. If Friday comes and goes and there is still no official signing of Andersen, then I've got to feel that the Rockets are currently weighing their options with respect to any of the following:

(a) A free agent signing with (most or all of) the "non-Taylor" portion of the MLE
    (b) Their luxury tax exposure
    (c) A trade, which would also affect luxury tax exposure

Still, I think Andersen just signs and there's nothing more to it. But at least it gives us idiots something to talk about. :p

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I know its all a bit frustrating with the offseason, and the lack of news and chunky rumors out there, but speculating on Morey is nigh-on impossible.

We really have no way of knowing what DM is planning, no one does, and its a big part of the mystique.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think we may have to accept that this is what our roster is going to be.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

He is co-rick. (OK, doesn't sound as cool as He is co-Ming.)

[​IMG]

9. HTR99

HTR99 Member

Right around the time when we acquired Andersen's rights, DM spoke of signing another free agent as he said by the following week which still hasn't transpired yet. Not too sure what to expect regarding DM's upcoming moves as we can't go in with this many players starting the season.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I doubt they are trying anything with Andersen. Who out there can be signed for the MLE (minus Taylor's $700K) that really worth going after instead of Andersen? I was thinking they might have pulled something bad when Lamar Odom was making noises about taking Miami's MLE offer (hey, Lamar, Houston is by the seaside, too... just ask David Andersen!) but can't think of anyone else in a simimar situation. Guys like David Lee, Nate Robinson, Sessions are talented, but I just don't see Morey going after them for various reasons-- either because they are already likely to be offered more than what the Rockets can offer, or that such an Rockers offer would be immediately matched, etc. Besides, if they have a target for the MLE money, why would they sign Taylor so early? You'd think they'd hold off eating $700K of the MLE just to retain some flexibility until they finally decide not to go after anyone.

I doubt they are worried about the Andersen tax hit right now-- that was a known before they paid the money for his rights. Can't see them not having thought about it before paying $2 million of Les Alexander's money to the Hawks. I am thinking that, most likely, the team lets White, then try to "Steve Francis" Cook and Barry near the trade deadline to get under the tax (unless some major-- likely McGrady-involved -- trade happens to get them under the tax limit ).

I can certainly see a trade coming up, but don't see why holding off singing Andersen would help in any direct way.

Most likely, Morey doing exactly what he says he'll be doing: being opportunistic. There are plenty of "opportunities" but he's waiting for the right one.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

There is nobody available that would push the Rockets into contention with the Lakers and Celtics. The Lakers could have a brain fart and want to trade Kobe and Gasol for T-Mac and Yao, but it's not likely.

12. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

I have a feeling that the "other" free agent Morey may have speaking of is Allen Iverson, but he only wants to start

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the very least, that would sell tickets...

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'd let him start if he were to sign for the portion of the MLE that's leftover after we paid Taylor and Anderson... (~$3mill)

We'd be a hall of shame defensive team though.
    The midget backcourt and the non-shotblocking frontcourt.

Bring it on?

I really don't think that's the way they're looking - but I'd be happy to be wrong! It wouldn't make us contenders, but it'd be a lot of fun to watch the team running

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

His waiting for the Rubio Buyout to come to a conclusion to make his move for him if the circumstances call for it.... ;)

(well at least I hope he is :D )

16. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

Dream Scenario

Rubio/Lowry
    Brooks/Taylor/Budinger
    Ariza/White
    Scola/Landry
    Anderson/Hayes/Dorsey

17. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

From Morey's twitter:

dmoreyWelcome D.Andersen - contract finalized...Yao was in today.Watched a few minutes of our pickup game and quipped I would trade me.He is right

18. htown11

htown11 Member

Anderson is officially signed

http://twitter.com/dmorey

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's funny, I was thinking today that maybe Iverson was the "All Star or former All Star" type who has "more tread on the tires" than people think (I'm paraphrasing from Morey's radio interview a couple weeks back).

I won't argue the merits of getting him, but wouldn't it have to be a sign-and-trade? And yet I think he must have been renounced for Detroit to sign Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

20. thino

thino Contributing Member

:) finally. thinks are coming into place.

1 person likes this.