1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is Morey a lock for executive of the year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by darmor90, Feb 21, 2013.

1. split41

split41 Member

After T-Rob, without a doubt, but only if we make the play-offs. What we gave up to get T-Rob, I think, locked him up as GM of the year.

2. darmor90

darmor90 Member

Even if you consider where we were at the end of last season to where we are now? Where we were pre-Harden? Even after the Harden trade, NO ONE had projected we would be playing winning basketball with the youngest rotation in the league. This T-Rob deal only is only the next great move by Morey.

What have the Nuggets and Spurs done that has made them any better this year? They're more or less the same teams they have been for the last 3 years in fact. Knicks did alright this year; signing Woodson, Camby who doesn't play (injuries), resign Novak and Smith, and the Kidd move. Pacers? Good team but DJ Augustine won't win anyone any awards. Thunder? Doubt they make that Harden trade with the way he's playing. You don't trade awesome. The only competition I see is the Nets. They did bring in a lot of talent recently, but they aren't very flexible nor are they any closer to a championship than we are. I'd much rather be in our position than their's.

3. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Yes. By far.

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Just the fact that other GM's must now wear rape whistles when Morey's around, should be a clear indicator that he's executive of the year.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think getting a bunch of high paid players and coach that does not fit together will make him in the running for worst GM in the league.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member

Can Morey be GM of the Year?

It was supposed to go to Kupchak before the season started, after he got Dwight, Nash, and Jamison.

Now, 3/4 into the season, the Rockets have a better record than the Lakers and have overachieved. Didn't Vegas slate the Rockets to win 31 games before the season started? While the Rockets already have more wins than expected, the Lakers already have about double the losses most experts expected.

Morey made what many consider to be the best trade of the preseason, best trade of the deadline, and now with Brooks, the best pick-up post deadline. Delfino was a great pick-up as well and Parsons has solidified himself as having the most friendly contract in the league. Asik probably will lead the league in total rebounds as well. All these results with the youngest team in the league.

I know GM of the year is like MVP, and it's usually reserved for GM's of top-5 teams, but if it isn't Morey than who is it? Presti is the only person that comes close in my opinion, and his team would be better this season if he hadn't traded Harden. Maybe Buford, but the Spurs haven't changed much( not that they had to).

What does Clutchfans think?

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i think he's a lock

8. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Why not?

9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I think Morey deserves it, but I think someone else will win it......

.....for basketball reasons.

10. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I would think he has a good chance.

Has there ever been a team with such a big turnover of players in one year?

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think he is pretty close to a lock if we get a 6 or 7 seed. His only blunder was drafting Royce White.

12. withmustard

withmustard Member

Thanks for the merge mods. I guess I missed this thread during all the deadline frenzy and threads going on at the time.l

13. muas2010

muas2010 Member

It's going to be more than just best player but more like best pieces...for that the Lin and Asik moves is what I'm seeing. As good as Harden's been playing this team isn't going to be anywhere close to this level without Asik and to a lessor degree Lin. We know this team can still score with or without Harden and I'm sure without Lin as well (though he hasn't missed a game).

14. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

What happened to all the Maury haters?

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think so.

I mean, Masai Ujiri is due to get one at some point, he's doing a a crazy good job in Denve. Ujiri feels kind of like Kobe in MVP votes in previous decade, too good not to win it sooner or later.

But this year I think Morey's secured it.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Like the McHale haters, they usually lay low until the Rockets lose a game. Then they come out in full force, screaming that if Morey had just never traded for T-Will we'd be title contenders or if McHale would have just subbed player X out 30 seconds earlier and player Y in 30 seconds later, we would be undefeated.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agreed. But if we get out of the first round, maybe.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

don't agree. GM of the year is not dependent on playoff success. Or at least it shouldn't be.

19. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I think there is a very legitimate chance that Daryl gets the GM of the year award. I also think McHale has a slightly less, but still good, chance at getting coach of the year. In terms of MVP, Harden should at least be getting some top 3 votes, although he'll never win the award outright this year.

If this team finishes with 45+ wins, I say DM and KM get their awards.

20. Pringles

Pringles Member

I believe Morey deserves it, but I believe Cupcakes will win it.

HE GOT STEVE NASH AND DWIGHT HOWARD AND ANTAWN JAMISON AND TRADED AWAY AN INJURY PRONE BYNUM. FIRED DUMMY BROWN TO GET PRINGLE MAN! Definitely better than Dork Elvis.