1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Lin injured?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Oct 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lin track record is very limited. He might turn out good or bad.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yeah pretty much. Surprised that people are saying he is playing meh or he is struggling. I've already seen improvement in some areas & other areas that are still works in progress. I think people are upset that he isn't scoring more or putting up 20 pts or something. He is racking up assists pretty quickly I have been impressed by the way he is playing.

1 person likes this.
  3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

He's struggling because he doesn't have the foot speed, size, or toughness to play D. This is Jeremy on D, "Help, Help, Help" and the point guard hasn't crossed halfcourt. We have the worst PG and SG defensive combo in the NBA!

4. platypus

platypus Member

Nice analysis based on a preseason game :rolleyes: and I think golden state, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Sacramento, and Orlando beg to differ regarding your last statement.

5. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

Prepare for backlash in 3...2...

6. sidestep

sidestep Member

In the end, none of Lin's individual stats really matter, whether good or bad. It's more whether as a team they are playing hard nosed defense and the offense is getting efficient shots, and on those fronts, the starting unit has looked promising in preseason.

With many Rox players having good passing abilities, as was mentioned in another thread, I think the individual assist stats for this team will not accurately reflect what is happening on the court. So far, we've already seen quite a few nice baskets that resulted from two-pass relays, which on the stat sheet only credit the second passer with the assist and gives no credit to the first passer. If we are going to be fortunate enough to see more of that in real games, the individual assist stats will matter even less. Efficient shots translating to wins. Who cares about Lin's numbers.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Remember the Brooks Martin days that was literally the worst PG SG combo defensively atm, but it was also arguably the best offensively

8. sidestep

sidestep Member

Not going to even go there about Lin's defense since that would just rehash a long discussion that happened elsewhere.

As for Martin, can anyone really say that in the preseason that he's been lazy on defense? Cuz I don't see it.

9. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

Lin is using the preseason games to play defense, work on his left, and distribute more. so far, he's using his Harvard brains exactly as a Harvard baller would. this is all part of his master plan to set up Linsanity 2.0 just for the Rockets fans. while guys like Westbrooks is trying so hard to embarrass Lin right now in preseason, they don't even know what's really coming to them. :)

10. slowturtle

slowturtle Rookie

None of the Houston Rockets players is a Lebron James, Kobe, Durant or Westbrook. But then, there is just not that many elite players out there. How many teams really have that elusive elite dominating player? And even if they do, that doesnt' garantee Championship. The Knicks went way over the cap to get Staudimire, Chandler, Melo, Baron Davis and got nothing so far. The lakers have basically hired an all-star team and it doesnt mean championship.
    To look at Lin and expect him to score and dominate is irrational. If he breaks the defense and gets into the paint and gives assists...he has done his job.
    Meanwhile, its is the 2-3-4 position to figure out how score. The houston rockets really has a good roster. Much better than Vegas is giving them credit for at the moment. The ranking in Vegas has Houston basically almost bottom of the pit.
    The coaching staff is really pushing to the "team" defensive and offensive thing. And as long as they win..I don't care if Lin averages 1 points per game.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Of course, if this was brooks, he wouldn't have the built in excuse either. Maybe packing around a bag on money on his back makes you look different.

12. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Agree, definitely better than you.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

He's not injured, more like getting back to NBA shape from his knee injury from last season.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

most likely, given that sort of injury, hes talking about not being 100% of what he was pre-injury and not 'able to play' sorta level. feels like SAS stuff a bit

15. lowery

lowery Member

I'm a point/shooting guard and when the other guard comes at our defense at full speed, I expect my teammates to help. Outside D means not allowing easy shots, and when the guard gets into the paint, I know that our big men are there to help and back me up. From what I've seen, Lin can play okay defense, although Lowry was a bit better on that side of the court. If you jus gonna criticize someone cause they ask for help on the defensive side then your criticizing all the guards in the NBA. If you think Jeremy can play no D what so ever, then you obviously don't know **** about basketball.

1 person likes this.
  16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

just think about brooks getting shredded by dwill its all good.

17. tefunk

tefunk Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lawrence-lin-rockets-bargained-article-1.1182684

Failure to launch ... Knee injury aside, Jeremy Lin may not be what Houston Rockets bargained for

Tough times for everybody’s favorite point guard. Everybody but James Dolan, that is.

More than six months after undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus, not exactly a catastrophic injury by any stretch, Jeremy Lin continues to cite problems with his left knee for his early struggles with the Rockets.

“My speed and my explosiveness and my agility (are not) there yet,” Lin said the other day.

So it was hardly ideal circumstances when the ex-Knick made his Houston debut against the Thunder’s Russell Westbrook. even if Lin had two completely healthy knees, that’s a mismatch, going up against one of the NBA’s top athletes.

Predictably, in his first action since injuring his knee last March against Detroit at the Garden, it got ugly in a hurry. Lin made only one shot and couldn’t stay with the fleet Westbrook, who went for 19 points in 16 first-half minutes.

While some Rockets coaches have confided that Lin needs to work harder to improve his play, he points to his knee as the chief problem.

“I’m still trying to recover from knee surgery and get to where I was pre-surgery,’’ Lin said.
    Perhaps wisely, he didn’t venture a guess as to what percentage his knee is feeling, at this point.

Lin didn’t have microfracture surgery or tear his ACL, so we can now safely assume that he’s one of the world’s slowest healers. But let’s also remember that even before his storybook career in New York effectively ended against the Pistons, he was anything but a premier athlete. Any problem he might have because of the knee in the future is going to make the Rockets’ $25 million investment look even more ridiculous than it did last July. When you consider that his old team was able to spend that amount of money to go with Raymond Felton ($15 million) and Jason Kidd ($9.3 mil) at his old position, you can see that the Rockets overpaid.

But what’s done is done. This past week, the Rockets might have gotten a preview of what could be in store for the face of their franchise.
    “More than a problem with his knee, what I saw again from Lin is that he is limited as an athlete,’’ was how one person with years of NBA experience put it after seeing Lin’s debut. “Offensively, he should be fine. But when he has to guard opposing point guards, especially guys with speed like Russell Westbrook, he is going to really struggle.’’

Sounds like more tough times ahead for Jeremy Lin.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

NY tabloid being NY tabloid. Rockets scouting is not perfect, but I trust they do more homework than NY tabloid writer does.

19. mirus

mirus Member

tefunk,good job for posting the whole article
    may i add ,it's from mitch lawrence.
    no clicks for u,mitch

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Wow, is all of NY that butthurt?

1 person likes this.