1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Les Alexander In Financial Trouble?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 23, 2017.

1. basketballholic

1. We trade away our first round pick and Brewer to get Lou. The excuse was we needed another shooter and Brewer sucked. Like we were going for a title. But, you know, that's a salary not on the books this year. Is Les cash-strapped?

2. After making that trade, we were $3 million under the cap. Everybody knew we needed to add a big. We didn't do it. We toted Bobby Brown around. Nene went down. And we got Ryan Anderson playing the middle. Was there really no bigs capable of helping us? It was Les cash strapped?

3. We had $3.5 million to spend tonight time buy a pick or to move up in the second round at least. We left it on the table. Didn't make a move up while other teams that we have to beat (Warriors) spent the money and bought themselves talent.

So, explain that to me.

@Clutch tweeted, it's all about the cap space. Huh? Ok, if that be so then we should be dropping Taylor's non-guaranteed deal. Because max cap space is 13 or less contracts on the roster or with cap holds.

You tell me, is Jordan Bell occupying a minimum salary roster spot a downgrade or upgrade to Taylor? What about the money? Maximum cap space? We pick up another half million.

What about Ojelay? Would he represent a possible upgrade to Troy Williams? Would he have given us the flexibility to drop Troy and save a few bucks? Does our front office really believe Williams is better than Ojelay?

Frank Mason or Isaiah Taylor? Once again, another opportunity risk save a few cap dollars. Shoot, we could have picked up Monte Morris for that matter if it's about cap.

Nothing. We kept the $3.5 million.

Was it really about cap space?

So, the next excuse is what, we need the extra roster spots for trade flexibility? Oh please. That's bull.

Ok, ok, ok. We traded the 45 to push our assets forward in the form of picks so we have more picks to deal in case this monster trade fit George/whoever comes along. Yeah, gimme a break. That doesn't keep us from buying a pick now.

Buying a pick last night would have only changed one thing. Les' pocket book.

3. Now let's go back another season. We trade for Ty Lawson. That blows up in our face. The best thing we could've done for our chances of winning a championship in the Harden era was go to the lottery. We would have at least retained our first round draft pick as a trade asset. But instead we fight and scrape to get risk the playoffs so we can get drilled by the Warriors.

The only reason that makes any sense for us going to the playoffs in 2016 is the extra $$$$$ in Les' pocket.

We fired McHale and didn't replace him. But we did give him an extension, you say, before we fired him. Yeah, we did. After paying him half what the top coaches made on his first contract.

================================

I see no reason for the decisions/non-decisions that we are making besides $$$$. Daryl Morey is ALWAYS all over the second round. We're ALWAYS wheeling and dealing to get second round value. But we didn't last night. We left the money on the table. And we let the talent go to our competitors.

2. IBTL

IBTL Member

3. JD88

JD88 Member

Isn't Les worth nearly $2 billion dollars?

I think he's good. He uses pocket change to pay salaries.

He, literally, just donated $4 million dollars to charities in Houston.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

They left money on the table because Morey just said that we're chasing All-Star players. They need cap space why is that hard to understand?

5. malakas

malakas Member

Rich owners have their teams sell their 2nd round picks all the time. Doesnt' mean much.

douglasreedy1 and Pen15clubber like this.
  6. hooroo

hooroo Member

or the players they were interested in weren't open to being stash picks?

7. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Damnit. You mean to tell me all of Les' NONE basketball investments and real estate and businesses went belly up, and all of his chips are on the Rockets and the money they make/don't make, spend/don't spend and chances taken on 2nd rounders? Or that GS outbid us on what Les is usually MORE than willing to spend on 2nd rounders?

Damnit... is the team moving to Vegas again?

Are we gonna trade Hakeem?

Are we drafting Sam Bowie with the #1 pick in 1984?

SOMEONE EXPLAIN?!?!?!?!

I am losing my **** over here with PARANOIA!!!!!

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Clickbait title, I admit I fell for it.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You're just mad that once again you took big swings on several players and yet again you come up empty handed

Don't blame Les' financials for your fake insider news :D

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Second round picks are second round picks.

11. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Nah Les is fine...I could use a few dollars tho in case anyone is feeling generous...

12. basketballholic

Ummmmm, buying a second round pick doesn't hurt their cap space. Why is that hard to understand?

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I believe we are 23rd on team salary.

14. basketballholic

I wasn't claiming any insider news on buying picks in the second round.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Bell, Ojelay, Mason, Tyalor.....

Pen15clubber likes this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's careful about how he spends his money. Isn't that how he became a billionaire in the first place?

17. basketballholic

No insider info there honey.

We could've bought a pick and traded it for a future pick. We didn't even do that. We kept all the money.

BigShasta likes this.
  18. DMO (DJ remix)

A. Morey did no see anyone worth while to get us big during deadline, he did went after Bogut, sure it was bad that Nene went down, but than again, D'antoni should have given Monrtez some burn during playoffs, he did just fine when Capela was injured, so from blaming this on Morey or D'antoni you go to blame this on Le$, not sure if serious? And if he was so about money, do you think they would have offered Bogut a contract, where is the common sense in this?

B. Warriors paid 3.5mil for an early second rounder, i can't remember a team paying that much for a second round pick, maybe my memory is letting me down, anyhow, i agree that Bell is a nice get, but Morey got us like 4 players, so it's not like we're doing nothing.

C. We're looking to add a major player or two in free agency, it's good for Warriors that they got Bell, but are we going to make a big fuss over that? We're looking to shed salary, sure Bell would not hurt our flexibility, but our main goal is to get star player, not to pay a hefty money for an early second round pick, if morey have done nothing, sure i'd agree that he had balls to the wall, but now?

Long story, short: stop making BS and seek for attention, we get it, you like fantasy stuff and you live in a different world, good for you.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Le$ didn't sell his pick though, he punted for next year. Selling a pick is what Chicago did, the Rox will get their pick back next year, hopefully at a higher spot since Grizz will probably suck more this season than the Rockets.

Also Holic's premise is wrong because Rox were all set to sign Bogut before he chose Cleveland and his knee got destroyed.

The whole premise of this thread is dumb. You know what Le$ can do if he is really in financial trouble? He can sell the ****ing team for a Billion dollars. But he doesn't need to do that because Rockets were one of the most profitable teams in the NBA and in the upper echelon of the biggest value gainers for NBA teams the last couple of years, it's a big reason why Morey got signed to 4 year contract. Just owning an NBA team gets you so much $$$, why do you think the players got a massive salary increase? Even losing teams with no attendees break even now at the very least thanks to league pass and NBA merch sales. International league pass watchers are huge China alone gives 1B extra audience for NBA not to mention broadcast rights for every country in the world.

According to Forbes Houston Rockets is the 8th most valuable NBA team with 1.6B estimated value on something Le$ only paid $85M just 24 years ago. Rockets also earned at least 62.7M last year and I say at least because the revenue only seems to come from ticket sales and direct sales merch, there is no mention of NBA league pass profits, lux tax profits and other revenue sources owners get.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/houston-rockets/

You tell me is Le$ in financial trouble or not? :rolleyes:

#19 roslolian, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  20. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Someone has been drinking a little too much basketball.