1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yao_Mac, Nov 10, 2008.

?

Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?

1. Yes

225 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Simple question, is Kurt Warner a Hall of Famer?

He's tearing it up in Arizona and tore it up in St. Louis...but undrafted, went BACK to Northern Iowa to do graduate work for the team, played in the Arena League and played in NFL Europe.

Here are his career stats before tonights MNF
    26,440 yards
    168 TD 106 INT
    65.5 comp %
    94.2 passer rating

Some comparable HOFers that started for their respected teams throughout their careers
    Troy Aikman Dallas Cowboys
    32,942 yards
    165 TD 141 INT
    61.5 comp %
    81.6 passer rating

Steve Young San Francisco 49ers
    33,124 yards
    232 TD 107 INT
    64.3 comp %
    96.8 passer rating

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He needs one more strong season in 2009 and to break 30,000 for his career (which will come the same season). But assuming that happens, he's in, definitely.

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I've always thought he was a HOF calibur player, but like The Cat said, he needs those milestones.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I thought so even before this year

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Kurt needs more than just passing 30K IMO.

Kurt hasn't accomplished much of anything since leaving St. Louis.. and even then, he only succeeded there when he was surrounded by other HOFers (Pace, Holt, Faulk, etc). It does not look good on your resume when it shows 3 years of All-World stats and then 8 years of nothing, full of injuries, bouncing around between teams, etc.

Kurt needs to accomplish something more than just stats with Arizona to get into the HOF imo. Maybe an NFC Championship game or better.

Cause right now, his resume looks way too inconsistent to vote him in, even with 30K.

6. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

dont forget 2 MVP's and a Superbowl ring. Also, second all time in Career passer rating and completion percentage. He's in no matter what.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I haven't watched him play enough to give an educated answer, but I have always been a big fan of his.

8. DonnyMost

He's only started 94 games in his career. Too small a sample size, IMO. He will get more starts of course, but he'll need a full 2 more years at least.

Compare that with a guy like Aikman, who had a very short career by QB standards.. 139 games started.

Like I said, if Warner can produce/achieve more success for the next few years, he could sneak in on a down ballot year. But as of right now, I'd say he isn't HOF material.

His career numbers most closely resemble Steve Young.

But when you stack up their careers together, it looks a lot different.

http://www.nfl.com/players/steveyoung/profile?id=YOU299670

http://www.nfl.com/players/kurtwarner/profile?id=WAR492511

Maybe the committee doesn't consider consistency a factor, but Warner's numbers are just all over the map. I can't see a HOF career being built on 3 successful seasons from 99-01. If he takes Arizona places, then things will look much brighter.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was thinking of starting this same thread this morning. If he wins MVP this year, how can he not be in the HOF? Only Farve has done that in his career. Add that with two Superbowls and one Championship, it is very impressive even if he hasn't started as many games as the rest of the QBs in the HOF.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bouncing around? He did only play with NY for one failed season, but he's been with Arizona since.

Plus the argument that he played with potential HOF'ers is just dumb. So should Montana and Young be penalized for playing with Rice? Penalize Aikman for playing with Ervin and Smith?

I think he's on the verge. Win the NFC West with Arizona (first time in 33 years) and maybe even a playoff game...then he might solidify a spot...especially if he breaks those milestones next season. He might not be a first ballot HOF, but I think he's in.

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I believe he is. I believe had it not been for injuries, he would have put up some mad numbers.

But that's neither here nor there.

12. DonnyMost

Teams:

* Green Bay Packers (1994)
    * Iowa Barnstormers (1995-1997)
    * Amsterdam Admirals (1998)
    * St. Louis Rams (1998-2003)
    * New York Giants (2004)
    * Arizona Cardinals (2005-present)

It's not stupid when you look at other players who have managed to produce and win with other teams. Warren Moon for example. If you're going to say Kurt is a HOFer, I'd like to see some production other than 99-01. This year is a good start, though.

He's definitely in the discussion by numbers alone, and I agree, if he achieves some significant success in AZ this year and the next, he has a much better shot.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Kurt Warner is a special category of borderline HOF, or players who were great for a small period of time, but not over long period. These players usually have multiple MVPs or record breaking seasons.

Roger Maris - Not in HOF (2 AL MVPs, 4x All Star Apperances, 3x World Series Champion, and 61), also he was allegedly pretty good with his work in the field.

Steve Nash - (2 MVPs), three and half great seasons as point guard, but they are point guards with similar numbers who aren't in the Hall of Fame and to say the list they might have better numbers than Nash.

Terrell Davis -(1 MVP and 1 Super Bowl MVP) Rushed for over 2,000 yards and 4 1,000 yard seasons...but he was very dominate runner, more so than average Denver back.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

His exceptional play in Arizona has really paved his way for the hall.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I forgot one.

Ken Stabler - Not in HOF, yet either.

16. DonnyMost

I wonder if Rich Gannon will ever get in.

Prob not with no Superbowl.

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Not even close, IMO. He had 3 really, really good seasons in St. Louis, 1.5 good seasons in Arizona, and a bunch of years where he played 10 or fewer games and was simply marginal. He was not great for enough seasons to be a HOFer.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know Joe Namath was important for the merger between the AFL and NFL, and the AFL coming of age.

But, he didn't have a spectacular career.

ALso, that joke for owner Bud Adams is being considered for the Hall of Fame. Why not let the others in ?

19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

He'll get in no problem. 2 MVPs, 2 superbowls, 1 SB win. Did you see the stat on MNF where he's thrown for 300 yards in 45% of his games? That's just crazy. Fouts was second in history with something like 28%. He had great years in St Louis and wasn't bad in NY once he settled in, they just wanted to move on to Manning, which makes sense. He's been good in AZ but again was dealing with a high draft pick QB until he's just outright won the job. The guy can make every throw and isn't afraid to consistently stand in the pocket until his guys get open even when it means he takes hits. I don't really think you can say he's "bounced around a lot" since including the pre-STL days is a bit misleading. Since he's been a starter he's been with three teams and been great for two of them, ok for one of them.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Doubtful.

He was a Pro Bowl QB for 5 years, after being a career backup before that.

He was a master of the west coast offense and he had to be because he could barely get the ball downfield.

His magical MVP season was tarnished by Gruden's dismantling of the system he built in the Super Bowl.

I love Rich, but i can't see him ever getting into the hall based on 1 great season coupled with 4-5 good seasons.

To me, Kurt stacks up like a Steve Young... Steve Young was a career backup who started off in the USFL, was just bad in Tampa Bay and then sat behind Joe Montana for a few years. When Steve finally got his chance he had the Bill-Walsh crafted offense to captain, an offense that included Jerry Rice still in his prime, John Taylor, Brent Jones, and Ricky Watters, an offensive line that was solid all around. Later on add a Garrison Hearst in his heydey and a young Terrell Owens.

Steve Young won a super bowl after having statistically one of the best rated seasons in the NFL history in 1994. His success after that was never quite the same, but he proved his worth as a great QB.

Warner's talent around him is very similar. As long as he has WRs who can get open, he's an all world talent. Even when he was running the Greatest Show on Turf, his accuracy was amazing. His completion percentage is great. He throws for 300 yards in almost 50% of his starts. That stat is UNHEARD of. Completely unheard of.

Assuming he gets the Cardinals into the playoffs this year and the next, I would say he certainly has a spot in Canton later on down the road.