1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kobe better than MJ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by giddyup, May 25, 2008.

?

Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?

1. Yes

13.2%
  2. No

75.3%
  3. Undecided

11.5%
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

His contract with the Lakers might be up. I haven't seen him courtside anywhere. His rightful place should be coaching the USA team permanently. Oh well, I guess putting someone whose best attribute is recruiting should somehow work out... As opposed to a proven Olympic genius. Whatever.

That video is so recent, whats the story behind it? I am interested. God I love Rudy. He has got to be one of my favorite people in sports. So genuine and straightforward.

2. rockmanslim

rockmanslim Member

In these aspects, they're about equal:<list>
    <li>skillset
    <li>clutchness

In these aspects, Kobe can only dream he had MJ's:<list>
    <li>athleticism
    <li>will to win
    <li>team leadership

Maybe Kobe can increase his will to win and become more of a leader, MAYBE...but his athleticism at its peak (years ago) was not on MJ's level at MJ's peak, and at Kobe's age, his athleticism will only decline from here on out.

Therefore, MJ > Kobe, and I don't see Kobe ever passing MJ. Lebron might have a chance though. Slim chance, but he's young enough, provided he improves by leaps and bounds in the next few years. On the other hand, he's already riach, biatch, and famous, and "The King," so I don't know if he'll be driven enough. So though Lebron's got the potential, I don't think he'll claim the throne either.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Shall we compile a list of all the "lousy" players who never won any (or even enough) NBA championships? Then we'll follow up with all the lucky DNP SOBs who happen to be a "member of the squad" of teams that won one or more championships.

I'll take the first squad; you take the second and we'll go best of 7 for $10 Million to the winning Head Coach.

I prefer team play. In fact I prefer team play so much that NBA basketball is about my least favorite league... but that doesn't mean that we can't engage the issue of best individual player.

4. adoo

adoo Member

ditto

early returns suggest that he lacks the killer instinct and clutchness of MJ and Kobe. either u have it or not; it's not something you can develop

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one that noticed how Kobe even tries to talk like MJ. How weird is that?

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jordan won 6 with Pippen.

Kobe won 3 with Shaq.

7. adoo

adoo Member

you have idea WTF ur talking about. stick w the facts; ppg, rpg, apg, # of rings, # of time selected to all-defensive team. next
    once again, a blanket claim without details = no credibilty :rolleyes:

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Y'know that is the most simple, concise yet greatest comparsion I think I have ever seen.

And, he played with Shaq another two seasons after the 3 peat. I would bring up the 04 year, but some posters would say Payton and Malone were broke down.....even though Malone was still averaging over 20 ppg and 8 rebs when he left Utah...while Payton was 20 ppg and 8 to 9 assist.

He couldn't win with that.....MJ won a title in his 6th title in season where Pippen only played 44 games (acting flaky and often injured) and being nonfactor in 3 games of the finals...he was actually injured later in the series.

If Kobe was better than MJ, that means he could possibly be better than Bird, Magic, Wilt, and Kareem....I seriously doubt that.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Actually it should read like...

-Jordan won 6 with Pippen.

-Shaq won 3 with Kobe.

Of course their teammates were important, and two of the others were great players (Pippen, Kobe). But there was never any serious doubt who the central figures on those teams were.

Kobe is the champion of nothing of note I can think of. He hasn't lead a team to a title at any level as far as I know. But I guess if you discount success the way sports success is usually measured (leading teams to rings and trophies), Kobe is the true champion.

I think team success are major components, because they reflect in part the ability to translates one individual skills to the team game, as well one's will and instincts to win.

But I'll play with your contention..how do they compare with peers?

The only way Jordan is overrated is when he is claimed to be the hands down greatest ever. Just like 10-15 years ago people were dimissive of Russell, Wilt and Kareem's accomplishments (each have a claim along with Jordan for GOAT) in recognizing Jordan, people nowadays are deflating Jordan to try to bolster the new guy because of their need to feel like they are in the best era of basketball/feel important.

Jordan is hands down the best non-big to ever play the game. I don't think it is close.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Don't forget the second aspect that I cited: the competition level of the league.

Bob Cousy was a dominant PG in his day but now....?

I don't mean to totally dismiss team accomplishments but the are surely secondary when considering individual greatness. Some are just dismissing the question by citing Jordan's numerous championships; that's what I was countering.

11. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

this point is often overlooked...

and you are very right.

jordan's first 3 championship teams were a bunch of scrubs. so hands down those first three titles all belong to michael. he made it happen with a teeny bit of help. awesome.

but the second three titles? much tougher league and much more competition. he needed to have one of the greatest team ever assembled around him to accomplish what he did. if he had the same team from 92-93 bulls team, there's NO WAY they compete.

the bulls' talent level between the first 3 championships and the second 3 chamionships were dramatically different.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Whether it is Bob Cousy, Wilt Chamberlain, Pete Maravich, Connie Hawkins, Wes Unseld, or Rick Barry....I sincerely believe the NBA is one of those sports where if you were great 20+ years ago, you could still be great today.

Most of them could either shoot lights out, pass, rebound, defend, or whatever...

I would certainly take Bob Cousy over Rafer Alston...if we had Cousy in his prime, the Rockets would be at least 2x champion by now.

13. Ripcity

Ripcity Member

Jordan smashes Kobe. Jordan won rookie of the year in 84 and averaged 28.2 ppg his rookie season. He made an impact from day 1 with no supporting cast, unlike Kobe who came into the NBA with Shaq already there. Kobe averaged 7.6ppg his rookie season. Rookie seasons don't make or break an NBA player but they sure speak volumes.

14. adoo

adoo Member

u obviously don't understand basketball; it's a team sports. thru out his career, MJ avg ~ 30ppg and his team ~ 90+ppg. his supporting cast scored twice as many points as MJ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

it is stupid to claim that he had no supporting cast :eek:

15. adoo

adoo Member

from a 7.6ppg to 30+ ppg speaks volume of Kobe's working ethic and insatiable desire to improve. :rolleyes:

16. Ripcity

Ripcity Member

I should have elaborated but i thought you would be able to break it down. No supporting cast for the first 3 seasons.. meaning no other super star already there. Unlike Kobe's situation. No need to tear me down either. I'm just stating my opinion.

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Competition in the league? Early-Jordan he had to play versus Bird's squad, Magic's squad, the Bad Boys, and loaded Blazer squads. Since Shaq's declined, their havn't been any NBAers the level of Jordan-Magic-Bird, and the only team that might have stacked up with most of those in the 2000s was the middle of the Lakers 3 peat team (Shaq at his peak, Kobe near his peak, 3-5 excellent role players and a team on the same page).

I listed the wings that competed for a distant #2 place behind Jordan (folks like Drexler, Nique, Pippen, Richmond, Dumars, Hill, Miller). I listed a group of wings Kobe may, or may not, have been better than each year of his peak (Lebron, Tmac pre-injury, Wade, AI). The fact one can make a case for Lebron being better than Kobe right now or one of those others players on their peak year(s) shows you Kobe has peers--even if Kobe's total resume is slightly better. Jordan didn't have a peer in his peak, not even close, despite some great opposing wings playing in his era as well.

18. sook

sook Rookie

The only reason people compare the 2 is because Kobe won 3 rings, as a sidekick to shaq. Otherwise comparing the 2 would not have made sense. The phenomenal 81 point game also made it easier to compare the 2

19. adoo

adoo Member

u have no idea wtf ur talking about. without Kobe, Shaq would still be ringless as a Lakers.

Kobe and Shaq are integral parts of the 3-peat champs. neither one could have won a ring without the other. those who claim that Kobe was a sidekick are just cluseless :eek: Kobe avg > 25ppg and was the team's leading assist man.
    • he bailed out the team whenever the opposition is executing hack-a-shaq (during the most crucial time of the game, Shaq was most definitely was Kobe's sidekick)

20. sook

sook Rookie

Theres a reason why Shaq got every finals MVP, the lakers won when he was there, didn't win when he left, and the Heat won when he got there.
    Comprende?