1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kobe better than MJ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by giddyup, May 25, 2008.

?

Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?

1. Yes

13.2%
  2. No

75.3%
  3. Undecided

11.5%
  1. jlwee

jlwee Member

Just becos kobe has the chance to sniff championship this year, the kobe wanker think kobe is better than MJ?

The only argument they can use to say kobe is better than MJ is kobe once scored 81points in a game and it happened in the non hand checking rule era, that's it!

Dont ever bring the crap that MJ got Pippen. Do they know Kobe got Shaq during his championship era?

MJ is batman and Pippen is Robin whereas Shaq is superman and kobe is Teen titans' Robin!

2. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Next question: Who's more overrated?

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

This is the point I have been making....he is just not on the same level.

Jordan should've had at least 6 or 7 MVPs, he got tabbed with the he is winning too many MVPs tag....he should've won it 97 and even 89-90 and 92-93 over Magic and Barkley.

6 Finals MVPs....nuff said.

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

for all of you saying the new handcheck rules give kobe such an advantage...

what of the illegal defense rules during jordan's era? did that not give him a superior advantage?

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

but the thing about that is that kind of defense has always been illegal, what is that doubling a player who does not have the ball.

It's still illegal in college and high school as far as I know.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Oh I dislike Jordan strongly on the court and off of it. I don't remember ever wanting him to win a series and wanting him to be knocked off that pedestal. But the man was a supremely talented and firery competitive beast. The best player I have watched live my a mile, and I have no doubt he was the best player post mind 70s.

7. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

If you think Jordan is overrated at all then you're smoking crack.

8. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

First of all, let's get one thing straight: crack is cheap, so crack is for poor people. We don't do crack, crack is whack.

[​IMG]

But Jordan's constantly labeled the greatest of all time - which I think should be way more arguable than it is.

[​IMG]

[/tinman]

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That there is why i HATE threads mentioning Jordan. All the sworn lifelong Jordan Guardians come out and fiercely protect his legacy bringing up all kinds of stats and accolades. Being all condenscending like how dare there be ANY comparion to His Airness? But, Jordan certainly left his mark on the game. A mark Kobe will never surpass.

Kinda hard to say who had the easier rules between the 2 of them. Jordan didnt have the no-hand checks but he also didnt have to deal with zones. Nowadays he can be double teamed before getting the ball.

Still his last two years, the same 2 years they just soooo happened to add the no-hand check rule :) Jordan averaged 22 points and then 20 points at age 40. Caron Butler and Richard Hamilton have averaged 20 points a game only 3 times in their careers combined (13 seasons added up).

10. uciraz

uciraz Member

MJ is the most overrated player of all time, the NBA glorified him to be godlike with no faults... so when comparing him with Kobe, Kobe starts with a handicap, Kobe is the true champion, best ever

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Shaq got dealt. Phil Jackson, Payton, Fisher left. Malone, Horace Grant and Rick Fox retired. Their whole team got dismantled before Rudy got there. The adjustment from dynasty to Kobe-only Lakers, plus Rudy T's health issues, they did about as well as they could in retrospect.

Also to NOT be forgotten, Kobe got injured that year. Vlade was out almost the whole year and to a lessser extent so was Devean George. Rudy T coached his last month on the Lakers without Kobe and with a team full of Chucky Atkins, Luke Walton and Tierre Brown he went 6-4. Thats the definition of the ship holding steady, & almost Coach of the Year worthy.

Rudy T FTW
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3r3QF_HzxBM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3r3QF_HzxBM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You tell em! I didn't know Starbucks served vodka in their drinks. Obviously they do. Thats another reason I loved Rudy so much. PJ had the same record as Rudy with that roster, but Rudy did it while drunk.

JK, love you Rudy. But he looked a bit too happy in that vid if you know what I am sayin...

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rudy is still getting paid by the Lakers right? "looks like our guys are back on top?"

my eyes got watery when he mentioned the championship team. he mentioned Max as one of the first people. :(

"Hakeem, Otis, Vernon Maxwell.."

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

ya but it's not illegal in the nba.

imo it's tougher to score against the zone than the illegal defense of the past. but that's just me.

it would seem that the guys who score well against the zone are perimeter/volume shooters.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

wrong.

MJ is the original, Kobe's idol is MJ and he's completely copied his moves, mannerisms, and even the way he talks.

MJ is better cause he's the original. He's the David Lee Roth to the Sammy Haggar.

This is coming from me too.

16. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

WOW at you taking up for Mike.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

How can a man with 6 rings 6 finals mvps 5 mvps 10 scoring tittles be over-rated?

18. tinman

Supporting Member

unlike others, i know my nba history.
    including the record of head to head meetings of the Rockets and Bulls which are buried with Peruvian pyramids in Indiana Jones cause the NBA doesn't like the acknowledge that Michael Jordan ever lost to a team led by one Hakeem/Akeem the Dream.

Is it not obvious that Kobe is just copying MJ? not saying that's bad. Until now is Kobe becoming the leader that MJ was with his teammates.

I don't remember Jordan ever pulling a stunt where he doesn't take a shot in the second half to prove others that he's not a ball hog.

I'm not saying MJ is significantly better either, but he's the original.

This is like comparing all the Tupac clones to Tupac, there will be good ones, but the original is the best.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It's a free country and all so you can take interpret the question any way you want. My approach was this: A) By how much does the player transcend his contemporaries to dominate the game? and B) Is the level of competition comparable?

I don't really see how you can consider any team measurements or accomplishments in determining individual greatness... :confused:

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Because its a team sport. If you want to separate team success from individual performance go watch golf, boxing, tennis, "or whatever makes you happy" (rest in peace Z)