1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kevin Porter Jr. a PLUS defender??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, May 5, 2022.

?

Is Kevin Porter Jr. a PLUS defender??

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. Not now, but he definitely will be

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I think most people on our team can be plus defenders, the problem is around the rim and coaching. If we can get our team defense up dramatically and some rim protection we'd be on pace to be top 10 in league.

KPJ's problem specifically is when he isn't doing good on offense he doesn't show the same effort on defense.

burlesk and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Porter's issue on D is effort, where too often he doesn't play engaged or takes bad risks. The other issue is that he often gets matched up against smaller and quicker players who he struggles with - I'm thinking of the Campazzo/Jalen Brunson types that absolutely killed us last year. KPJ is very good when engaged at covering guards and even rotating onto larger forwards/centers where he holds his own.

burlesk likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think this assessment is pretty good. Next year Jalen and KPJ should match up with Jalen on points and KPJ on SG or SF. I think he occasionally loses focus on defense especially when he doesn’t get a call on offense. In this sense, I think he is pretty much the same as every plus offensive player in the league. It is one of the curse’s of the new NBA where every player seems to get caught arguing with the refs instead of getting back.

burlesk and HorryForThree like this.
  4. TimDuncanDonaut

Not sure what stat that post refers to but even simpler metrics like defensive field goal %. Earlier last year, when I looked, he wasn't even 3rd best on the Rockets.
    Gordon and others were higher.

Still seems to be the case.
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense-dash-overall/?Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular Season&DateFrom=10/01/2021&DateTo=05/05/2022&TeamID=1610612745&sort=D_FG_PCT&dir=-1

Grain of salt some of them Rocket players had fewer games/bench minutes, against less fierce competition. KPJ is in the bottom half; worse on his own team, if remove few of the viper guys, he's just middle of the pack.

The first thread reply sounds about right, he's about average / slightly below average. Think there's a narrative to say he's a plus defender... I'm doubtful. If people come with stats please do whole season, keep it broad, I hate it when people do stuff like last 10 games of season or something super specific like top 2 defense on a pick n' roll when full moon, for players from Seattle.

#24 TimDuncanDonaut, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    Corrosion likes this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

LMAO!!! Good one.

ico4498 likes this.
  6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

It's a small number. You can see the totals here:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/isolation/?SeasonType=Regular Season&CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*hou&TypeGrouping=defensive&PerMode=Totals&sort=PPP&dir=-1

Here's the inverse - our ppp for offensive isolations

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/isolation/?SeasonType=Regular Season&CF=TEAM_ABBREVIATION*E*hou&PerMode=Totals&sort=PPP&dir=1

We ISO more than we get ISO'd. I guess that's because teams get whatever they want inside against us. No need to ISO.

Nook, AlperenSengun and Corrosion like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

2nd half of season, KPJ took a big leap in defensive efficiency.

He has potential to be consistent plus defender.

Not sure who is touting him as an elite defender, potential or otherwise.

burlesk likes this.
  8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

lol reddit think he's great on defense and he's 6'7"

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hopefully Rockets continue to upgrade defense via the draft to complement some of the potential inroads the team requires for future success.

Improving rebounding, blocks, steals, deflections and altering shots at the rim needs to be priority for Stone and Silas.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Everyone ignoring that points per possession (iso defense) ranks WOOD as the 4th best defender on the team.

LOL

Perhaps DRTG and BPM are the much more reliable indicators of defensive effectiveness.

TimDuncanDonaut and burlesk like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Agreed!

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tate is bottom 3 per these stats.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Who said Wood was the 4th best defender on the team? The post I responded to referred to one on one defense. I posted iso defense. Neither of those represents overall defense.

15. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he's ok on the perimeter, but lacks length and size to say he's a good defender. his calling is scoring just like tyler hero who just won sixth man. He needs to accept it and come off the bench. we need a switchable wings with size to offset jalen's lack of frame on the interior.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...the stats over a season suggest he is about average but I think to most people's points here, that's by and large driven by inconsistent effort levels and we all see that on the eye test watching him play.

"Can he be?" is a different question than "is he?" and so far his effort levels defensively lean toward him being only average.

The "he has all the tools" people can only ride that argument for so long before it becomes clear he isn't going to do it. Generally players take a leap in year 3 or 4. Next year will be KPJ's 4th year in the league. It's really put up or shut up time for him because all those possessions where he isn't putting in effort for whatever reason(generally it's because he is mad about not getting a foul call), is one more missed opportunity where he ISN'T working on his defensive skills and all those reps are going to start adding up for KPJ vs another player who may have less tools, but at least tries every possession. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard as they say.

I'll keep saying it - I really want KPJ to succeed, and while I commend him for working through some of those demons that have held him back, at some point in the very near future it will be hard to ignore the effect of missed opportunities to get better at his game while he battles anger and temperament issues while less talented players have continued to grind.

17. Damion Laverne

We need more "lanky wings" on this team

fattz and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

One v one defense on a switch heavy team is not very useful stat, so again, what are you really trying to say?

Just what is the significance that Jalen Green is ranked #1 and Wood is ranked #4 in iso defense on Rockets?

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The system isn't so terrible, its the guy at the middle of the system that breaks everything.

Christian Wood. Dude gives no effort.

Replace him with Sengun who's physically limited and you get similar results.

Draft Mark Williams .... Fix the defense.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Good enough where I can play him at SF both ways

Bring in one Ja Morant (a.k.a. Jaden Ivey) if we pick 3rd