1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kevin McHale Just a Transitional Coach for the Houston Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deshen, Sep 24, 2012.

1. deshen

deshen Member

source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-a-transitional-coach-for-the-houston-rockets

With the way the Rockets' front office has been operating since Rick Adelman's departure, it's fair to ask whether current head coach Kevin McHale is in Houston's long-term plans.

So far, most of what the Rockets have done suggests that McHale may not be around for an extensive period.

It begins with the circumstances under which Kevin McHale arrived in Houston.

One of the big issues Adelman struggled with when deciding whether to stay with the Rockets was his coaching staff, among other things.

Daryl Morey wanted Adelman to accept a candidate to be placed on his staff, so he could mentor him and prepare him to be his successor, according to Jonathan Feigan of the Houston Chronicle. Adelman had insisted that his own assistant, Elston Turner, would be ready to succeed him.

However, the assistant coach that Morey wanted on Adelman's staff was likely going to be former NBA Developmental League Rio Grande Valley Vipers head coach Chris Finch.

So it was no surprise that one of the key factors in the Rockets' decision to hire Kevin McHale was his willingness to accept an assistant coach that the front office appointed. One of the major talking points the day before McHale's hiring was about the structure of the coaching staff, according to Jonathan Feigan of the Houston Chronicle.

Chris Finch is currently an assistant coach for the Houston Rockets.

While it's fairly commonplace in coaching in professional sports that the head coach doesn't get full control over who is on his staff, having a possible successor selected before you begin your tenure is probably a bit disconcerting.

McHale is on a four-year contract, and the final year of the deal is a team-option. With the team looking poised to develop young talent, he may not have enough time to turn things around.

An obvious fact is that the Rockets have been looking to remain competitive by closing a deal on a superstar through trades using their young talent and assets. That deal has yet to materialize, and the Rockets are now in a situation that may be better for the future than for McHale.

The Rockets fell just short of the playoffs for the third-straight year last season. Almost every player that made those teams competitive now have new homes. Kyle Lowry, Luis Scola, Goran Dragic, Courtney Lee, Chase Budinger and other veterans are no longer on the team. Kevin Martin is the only one that remains, and he's in the last year of his contract.

The new-look Rockets are a lot younger and don't have nearly as much experience as the previous roster did, which may cause times to get a bit tougher for McHale.

Even if he's able to get the best out of them and they develop faster than expected, it's not likely they'll be competitive enough to make the playoffs.

Of course, the major turnover in roster and lack of experience may work in McHale's favor. The Houston brass could conclude that McHale should get more time with a young roster, but there isn't much insight into the thought process of the Rockets' tight-lipped front office.

Still, the thought having an appointed successor on your staff with no foreseeable future in sight isn't comforting.

Though McHale may buy into Morey's scouting process more than Adelman did, the uncertainty that goes with Morey's method in dealing with players like "assets" could inadvertently put McHale in a bad position.

Consistency is key for a coach to establish himself and develop towards a future, but the Rockets have turned their roster over and made so many deals recently that it is unfair to expect McHale to deliver strong results each season.

Such is life in the NBA. Winning is the only true insurance.

2. New Generation

Good read, but I doubt that they can really expect solid results from him with a complete roster change coming after every season. I think this year will determine if he's a keeper or not

3. prs325

prs325 Member

I will have to say "yes"

4. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

^ Agree.

Les will not blame Morey this time if McHale fails. Good chance Finch will take over the helm, getting groomed by Morey. If Morey can't put a championship contending team in five years, 2 from McHale and 3 from Finch (or next coach), Morey might not be around.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Good for a Bleacher Report article

Its looking more like McHale will be a transitional coach and not a long term one.

Previous 2 coaches Jeff Van Gundy and Rick Adelman both had 4 years with the Rockets, so thats probably an average tenure to expect. Its what McHale MIGHT get if they take on his 4th year team option.

6. prs325

prs325 Member

Even though it seems that Finch is being groomed, I have a hard time envisioning him as the next person in charge. Besides his success as an international and D-league coach, his benefit is being able be involve in the development of the White, Jones, Lamb, DMo, Parsons, even Lin and Asik so by the time the team is ready to contend, there's a trust and relationship that was formed during the McHale tenure. Much like a Scotty Brooks kind of a progression.

7. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

all coaches / players are transitional....

8. butterball

butterball Member

No, I remember an interview where Morey stated he thought McHale could be one of the best coaches in the league. I do believe Finch will take his place eventually but that doesn't have to mean McHale is just a placeholder.

9. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

Since McHale has already whined about having to coach a young team, I would rather get a young coach like a Finch who wants to develop young talent rather than whine about not having Stars.

10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

This is a Daryl Morey managed team people...

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

It really depends if Morey wants to put his job on the line. If Finch becomes our next coach, then it do-or-die for Morey.

When Finch was hired, those rookies werent even around and probably never envisioned Morey would blow up th team.

Maybe he was sincered at that time but IMO that was for Les to hear, praising him for the choice he made. Danny Ainge will certainly agree with that.

I also remember when McHale was surprised and fuming when Dragic wasnt re-signed. Little telltale signs really reflected how much respect and communication went on between them.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think this question was answered on day one of him being hired.

Three year contract, and the front office hand picked the assistant coaches.

That doesn't scream "long term" to me. It was an obvious long shot hire from day 1 from a team that had nothing to lose, and alot to gain if it worked out. We will see after this season if it worked out or not.

BleacherReport can make their argument that it was, but that doesn't change the fact that McHale is still in the interview process right now, or working a paid internship. There is no doubt that he is being evaluated every day that he is on the job, but he does still deserve a fair shot before we all get to throw stones.

Lets just see how this season goes.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Man, I see the world quite differently. McHale was hired to be a company man. He might be transitional as a coach, but I think he's going to be an employee of the Rockets in some capacity for a very long time, whether it's in coaching or in management. The reasons they gave for hiring him is his innate leadership -- 'a leader of men' -- and his team-building (not coaching) perspective. He's a guy who can lead the troops and always toe the company line.

The 'article' also misunderstands the selection of assistant coaches. Morey is trying to do something different from the traditional coaching staff -- he's trying to make a player development framework that ties the minor league team closely to the Rockets and trains everyone within a system that quantitatively measures performance. You can't build a new system like that if you're still confined by the old NBA practices of coaches having their own entourage of assistants.

So, I would not be surprised to see Finch become the head coach (titularly or effectively) and McHale move into a function that's somewhat more managerial, perhaps overseeing the coaching without calling games himself.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Jeff Van Gundy! *clap clap clap clap clap* Jeff Van Gundy!

15. dobro1229

Juan, you make some good points here, but I respectfully disagree with McHales tenure.

My reasoning is that they are going to have a big decision to make at the end of this season as to either extend him out long term or not. If the answer is no, then I have a hard time believing McHale will decide to take a role within the organization for sake of pride, or whatever you want to call it given the stakes set when he first took the role.

I know that they hired him more for his potential as a "leader of men" then for his resume as a successful coach, but if they were just hiring him to be involved in the organization as a development guy, or in an assistant GM type of role, I would think that they would have done it the opposite way, and ushered him in the more appropriate way, which is to not put him in the hot seat on day 1. He still only had something to prove as a coach, and only as a coach in the NBA.

I personally think he's either going to be the coach of the Rockets for a long long time, or he's going to be back on NBATV here shortly if it doesn't work out. That being said, I dont think it will be that difficult this year for him to have "success" given the circumstances. The goal is simple... Develop young talent, and create a bright future for the organization. His success, and tenure with the organization should not be viewed by strickly wins and losses THIS SEASON.

16. dobro1229

I dont get this at all. The people on here that dislike McHale all seem to want Van Gundy back.

They are almost the exact same style of coach.

-Likeable/funny TV personalities as analyst - tired/sarcastic to media as a coach
    -hard nosed/ old school approach to the game
    -emphasis on defensive end
    -similar offensive sets preferred(dump it into big man, draw double team, collapse defense, etc. etc.). Secondary play is the pick and roll.
    -no nonsense with players

If you dont like McHale, JVG as a coach isn't the way to go.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It all is going to come down to expectations vs performance. If McHale does better than expected with the tools (players) he has available, then his future in Houston may be bright. If not, then a replacement inevitable.

What would be worth knowing is what Les / Morey expect this year.

18. caneks

caneks Rookie

It sounds like Morey is the source of the chaos.

19. dobro1229

????

Well this team is built to lose, and rebuild. Isn't that what everyone on here wants?

Doesn't really sound like chaos to me.

20. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Mike D Antoni! *clap clap clap clap clap* Mike D Antoni!