1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is JVG a traitor? Says Duncan better than Hakeem.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by francis 4 prez, May 31, 2007.

1. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

IMO Hakeem never had the supporting cast that Duncan has had.

2. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

From an individual standpoint? No! Dream was more skilled and a better defender.

Career accomplishments? Duncan is getting his fourth and probably has another one or two rings on the horizon before he hangs 'em up...so yeah he's had a better career; so has Shaq.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I take my previous post back. You are an idiot. Sampson moved over to the 4 spot. Any Rockets fan that followed the team worth a damn would know that.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah. Nevermind Hakeem's teams were busy beating the Bulls with Jordan 5 games in a row before he left... and nevermind Will Perdue all but said they didn't want to face the Rockets because they had no answer for Hakeem.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hakeem was quicker, stronger, and more creative. Better post moves. Better defense. Better FT shooter. More range. Comparable passing skills and IQ. Hakeem Possessed the ability to drop 45 with ease, something you rarely see with Duncan due to his strong supporting cast and more limited offensive repertoire. I think players, coaches, fans, and media tend to forget too early. I keep hearing Kobe is better than MJ. Give me a break. Jordan played in an era when you had to earn fouls, where guards didnt belong in the paint unless they had balls. JVG is no more the traitor now than when he brought in Ewing. :)

6. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Regular season games mean nothing. The playoffs are totally different and jordan was unstoppable in his prime. Bulls would have won 8 in a row if he didn't retire.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hakeem was a great playoff player. He used to step up enormously. The destruction of Robinson is just one example of his genius.

8. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

It doesn't matter what hakeem would have done though. Jordan would have matched him, but most likely outscored him and then the bulls had better role players. Jordan is the greatest player to ever play, so it's no slight on hakeem to say he couldn't beat jordan's bulls in the playoffs.

9. Possum

Possum Member

L J might have someting to say about that. While I love Ming as a person and a player I find myself wishing we had won the lottery 1 year later. :(

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

wasnt MJ already "bacK" the second year we won the 'ship? they just didnt even make it to the finals? or is my memory wrong. I remember Orlando beating them then we crushed Orlando

11. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Mj was still rusty from his timeoff to play baseball and only played 17 regular season games that yet before the playoffs started.

12. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

not that rusty since he averaged about 32 ppg against Orlando! he also had a 50+ game that year too if remember...

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It's a good debate, but we did own that Bulls team before MJ retired. For some reason, Mad Max defended MJ very well (as well as anyone could at least)

I still think we would have won against Chicago...Max could hold MJ to 25-30 and Hak would have destroyed Perdue/Longley/Pennington/Cartwright

Too bad we'll never really know

And how is JVG a traitor? He didn't coach Hakeem.

14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

exactly what ive been saying, JVG has no bind to Hakeem at all so why is he "a traitor"

15. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

I take heavy offense to that, because my argument is valid. Okay, maybe I got my facts screwed up about saying Hakeem was a 4 when he came in, but he still played a lot of 4 whenever Sampson was hurt and he was on the outside a lot. 4/5 is pretty much interchangeable, especially when you have Sampson and Hakeem. Ask Mr. Fitch.

My original post is accurate though. MJ is just that damn good.

16. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Dream would have beat Jordan the year he schooled Robinson, even if Robinson was at the top of his game. And, yes, the Rockets matched up well against CHI, but Seattle and Utah matched up well against us ... :(

17. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I can't believe I'm on a Rockets forum. Dream did more to influence entire games than Shaq ever did. Ever.

I think this city has an Earl Cambell hangover that's somehow extended into the legacy of Dream. I guess he'd have been better if he had been "brutal". Those steals were "wimpy". The paltry number of blocked shots he had tell very little about the monster he was in the lane, but he was too "pretty" doing it.

Yeah, Dream was a finesse guy and played the same position Duncan does? Dream didn't play on the low block 95% of the time? JVG said when he came here he still had nightmares about Dream and no one really believes him.

He's repetitiously said "the talent margin in the NBA is razor thin" and no one believes him. Even his wife knows it's dumb to play rookies and some people believe him.

But he's great on TV, and people here are sad, and... Duncan's better than Dream???

I said JVG deserved a contract extension at the all-star break even though I wanted him gone. Now, I just want to take him at his word even if it stabs the heart of Houston (and directed at Les).

He would like Duncan better than Dream, he frikkin' preferred Ewing to Dream. He did. JVG is what he is.

Let the man go. Bundle up your contempt for T-Mac and Yao and the entire Rox organization and just choke on your own sense of hopelessness and wonder if you really wanted JVG to accept that consultant position.

Because you, of course, believe him.

18. chinesetaco

chinesetaco Contributing Member

DUDE! JVG owes us nothing. We fired his @$$ remember.

19. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I would take Dream over Duncan every time. dont forget the steals. Duncan was never the defensive player that Dream was. Also, Dream is a much better free throw shooter. Dream never played with other all stars, with the exception of half a season with Clyde. Put Dream on this current Spurs team and the Spurs would be working on their 6th ring.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

give dream a healthy sampson or a drexler and you wouldn't have this bs talk. hakeem is just better than duncan...and duncan is one of the greatest champs ever. JVG is dead to me now.