1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is JJ WATT more popular now than Akeem (and others)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 18, 2014.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Back in the championship days, Hakeem was a God. I would say Watt is ON HIS WAY to surpassing him in terms of popularity, but he's not quite there yet as far as the Mt. Rushmore goes. I will say that if the Texans can ever get to an AFC Championship Game and to a Super Bowl, Watt would EASILY become the most popular sports figure in Houston history. As far as Bum and Earl go, I think that's an era Houstonians look back upon fondly and with nostalgia. However, the Baby Boomer generation is getting phased out slowly, and with that will go the memories of Luv Ya Blue. This city belongs to the Texans first and foremost, and the rest gets divided by the Astros and Rockets.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Just because he wasn't marketed doesn't mean he wasn't popular. I think you're confusing the two. Plus during that era many popular athletes weren't marketed... Especially NBA players.

Look at AJ... He isn't marketed but he is popular.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Being marketed and embraced are components with being popular. AJ was never all that popular either. I think you're confusing "not really popular" with "not popular". Of course all the players mentioned have reached some level of popularity, some are just much more than others.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

The top two tiers of popularity in this town are as follows:

#1 - White guy who leads Texans to Superbowl Win

#2 - White guy who is MVP-level player for the Texans

Everybody else is just fighting for 3rd

6. Remii

Remii Member

And as I already stated, during the era Olajuwon played in there weren't many NBA players being marketed. Could argue that Jordan was the first NBA player marketed in a major way (with Magic and Bird being sprinkled in). By your definition guys like Dr J, Dominique Wilkins, and many others weren't popular.

You're applying the social media commercial age of today to the 70's, 80's, and early 90's to define who was popular and who was not during that age... Which is why you're wrong.

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

1) You're still confusing my statement of "not really popular" with "not popular". You can stop playing dumb now.

2) Dr J was sponsored by Converse, was featured in movies, and was a cultural icon. Kareem was featured in movies and was embraced. Dominique had Reebok Pumps. Barkley was heavily marketed and embraced. Anyway you slice it, there was marketing in the 80's and the early 90's. Hakeem got little-to-nothing. There's no need to invent arguments. It is what it is.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Being popular means well liked and or well known. Phi Slama Jama was a famous college team nation wide and he was well known... The Twin Towers were well known. Olajuwon was an instant star when he entered the NBA and he was well known and people and different cities wanted to see him play.

You're either popular or you're not. Now if you want to debate if he was a "commercial star" _ you win...

Did you ever stop to think that was by his choice...??? So are you saying Nike, Reebok, etc wanted nothing to do with him...?

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd say David Robinson, Ewing, and Orlando Shaq were all more popular than Hakeem... despite none of them being "better", and two of them playing in a much smaller market.

All had significant commercial presence, shoe deals, and in Ewing's case... severe overrated exposure due to playing in the biggest media market.

Hakeem played in the golden era of NBA superstars and mass exposure... not only did you have Jordan culminating on the exposure established by Bird/Magic, but you had guys like Barkley, Shaq, D-Rob, Larry Johnson all basically making the shoe-market an actual market.

Without that era, there are no foot lockers, foot actions, champs, or any other still existing shoe store.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have to re-iterate how crazy a statement this is... to add to my above statement.

If anything, NBA players of the 90's were more over-exposed than NBA players today. Grand-mama Larry Johnson commercials, Barkley commercials, Jordan commercials, Mr. Robinson's neighborhood commercials, Jordan vs. Bird commercials, Shaq commercials, Little Penny commercials, Grant Hill drinks sprite commercials...

NBA stars I see on TV commercials today? Lebron... and... I guess that one Dwade/Durant commercial.... but nothing close to what was going on during the Jordan era.

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

There are different levels of popularity.

Did you ever stop to think Dr J, Nique, and others were marketed in the 80's and early 90's?

12. Remii

Remii Member

That's fine... I wasn't debating who was more popular.

I agree with that... Because it's easy to play dumb when people say things like "not really popular"...

Yea.. But not like Jordan or even Bo Jackson for that matter.

Now answer my question. Did you ever stop to think it was Olajuwon's choice that he wasn't...? Or do you think they wanted nothing to do with him...?

13. Remii

Remii Member

Really... Those are the only NBA stars you see on TV today...??? Watch more TV dude.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Speaking of Watt/Hakeem, Watt might want to look up Hakeem's years in the late 80's after the 86 finals and before Rudy was elevated to HC. Cause that's what he's looking at in the foreseeable future, team mediocrity despite individual greatness.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Holy crap 5 pages? Cmon MNF!

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

He wasn't all that popular.. especially in a thread comparing popularity.

Olajuwon chose to do Taco Bell commercials. The notion he never wanted to be marketed is a fail.

17. Remii

Remii Member

I notice there are some posters who picked Dream in this thread... But ok.

I didn't say he never wanted to market... And Taco Bell wasn't a rinky dink food chain and I'm sure they paid him well. And if you think a dude who was winning championships and arguably was the best center on earth couldn't get a shoe deal and or more endorsements you're delusional...

TIL 1994 NBA MVP Hakeem Olajuwon released a $35 sneaker instead of endorsing shoes from Nike or Reebok because: "How can a poor working mother with three boys buy Nikes or Reeboks that cost $120?...She can't. So kids steal these shoes from stores and from other kids. Sometimes they kill for them."

That's why Dream didn't have Nike and Reebok endorsement deals you and Nick are clamoring about... It wasn't because he was African. Plus he seems to be low key like Duncan. But yea. He wasn't a commercial star like other NBA players.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

It's a Houston board.

Exactly. That's why I don't consider him very popular.. similar to Duncan. He wasn't in people's eye like many other stars. Doesn't take away from his greatness, just takes away from his popularity. And best believe, if Nike did snatch him he wouldn't be saying much in the commercials or doing many interviews. Have you heard his HOF speech?

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

This is one of the most ridiculous ****ing things I've read in a long time. You guys are seriously mental if you think that after 3 years that JJ Watt has surpassed Hakeem the mother ****ing Dream Olajuwon.

2 people like this.
  20. Remii

Remii Member

What difference does that make... You're doing everything you can to 5h1t on Dream... But, hey like you said he's African so I see why.