1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin really overpaid?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Jul 13, 2013.

1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

A look at the stats of comparable PGs around the league and their salaries (all stats from basketball-reference.com)

Jose Calderon:

11.3 pts, 7.1 asts, 1.7 TOs. 49/46/90 (FG%/3P%/FT%)

Got an average of $9.5 million in his 4 years at Toronto and just signed a $7.5 mil/yr contract. Very efficient, but piss poor defense and has never been on a winning team.

Jeff Teague:

14.6 pts, 7.2 asts, 2.9 TOs. 45/36/88

Just signed a $8 mil/yr contract.

Goran Dragic:

14.7 pts, 7.4 asts, 2.8 TOs. 44/32/75

$7.5 mil/yr

Jeremy Lin:

13.4 pts, 6.1 asts, 2.9 TOs. 44/34/79

$8.3 mil/yr

It looks like Jeremy Lin's just 1 point and 1 assist short of Teague and Dragic and has very similar shooting %s, even after horrendous shooting in the first half of the season. Keep in mind it was his first full season, and all three of the above point guards don't share a backcourt with a superstar SG, and have higher usage rates except Calderon.

I would say Jeremy is slightly overpaid, but he'll probably live up to his contract by the time it ends.

(in b4 Jesus, another Lin thread? and here we go again...)

2. devin23

devin23 Member

You make a good point but this is just proves Lin is the most polarized figure in Houston rockets history. There's about as much thread about lin as there is about d12 lol.

3. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

All those guys are better

1 person likes this.
  4. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

and two of those guys play in eastern puke conference

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

TS% -

Calderon .616
    Teague .543
    Dragic .540
    Lin .538

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is about right - maybe a little more than he has earned, but good for him.

I just hope he is working his tail off and getting ready to bust out this year.

DD

1 person likes this.
  7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If Calderon wasn't so old he'd be perfect. But I hope Lin continues to get better, I think it'll get easier because Dwight is here now and no one at all is expecting too mch from him. All thos Linsanity expectations are out the window so he can just be him.

8. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

You're a well known troll (I wouldn't even label you a LOH), so your opinion is invalid. But it's ironic your rep bar is at Jeremy Lin right now.

1 person likes this.
  9. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

he is slightly overpaid in that the Rockets gave him more than his market value in order to force the Knicks to not match the offer sheet last year. But as a young starting PG with room to grow, and the marketing capabilities that he brings, his contract really isn't anything to be concerned about

1 person likes this.
  10. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I'm so use to the hate posts I read this thread title as "Jeremy Lin is really overpaid" lol.

I've done this comparison a few times with him, Goran, and Lowry. As devin23 said, Lin is just a really polarizing player. Even if he plays well, people are going to say he sucks. If he plays bad, there will be people who say he's still great.

Anyways, I will refrain from posting in any other Lin threads until we actually see something from him which probably wont happen until training camp starts. /wave

1 person likes this.
  11. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

I think a lot has to do with perception. When fans judge players, we do not use analytics or statistics. We use perceptions. I personally don't think JLin is overpaid nor is Asik. But I get the idea from the fans that Jeremy can be better and should be better because of expectations.

12. kcd

kcd Member

No, based on the RFA/UFA salaries these days he's not. Of course you'll welcome him to play above his salary, but he's had to make adjustments this year also.

13. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

By the way isn't it funny that some people here complain about Lin's 3pt shooting but would rather have Dragic who shoots worse than Lin, and is 3 years older than him

1 person likes this.
  14. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

If you truly respect Jeremy Lin on your team, Houston Rockets, we need to stop talking about all the marketing advantages and such. He is a player, plain and simple. He is not a pop star or something like that. His job is to play the game of basketball, period.

1 person likes this.
  15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

lol so anyone who disagrees with you is a troll. Calderon, Teague and Dragic are. Who cares what some ex yof now lof convert thinks.lool

16. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

Haha OP filtered Spiegel out as inconsequential post.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Asik averaged a double double last year and I'm willing to bet he gets better this year, he is definetly not overpaid.

18. TMac&Cheese

TMac&Cheese Rookie

Even I will admit- he is the highest paid on that list and has the worst stats

Stats aren't the whole story tho

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

if ex fake YOF now lof convert sees me as a troll then my job is done exposing the fake fans.

20. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

this is something that people always seem to forget...morey intentionally overpaid him