1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is James Harden's success in Houston proof Manu Ginobili could have been a star as the lead dog?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NBAandNFLFan, Apr 3, 2015.

1. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

thats cold man, below the belt

1 person likes this.
  2. FEAR THE BEARD

I strongly dislike Manu "Master Flopper" Ginobili and HATE the Spurs, so I don't think he could have ever been a leader in a team.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To be fair, a lot of people would agree that if Harden stayed with OKC as the "6th man" alongside Durant and Westbrook, he probably would not have become the player he is now. But who knows.

Ginobili was one of the best players Argentina had ever produced. He had the skills to be a superstar. But like heypartner pointed out, he did not have the physical sturdiness to carry a team on his shoulders. So even if he had been a full-time starter with the Spurs, he mostly likely would not have achieved the level Harden has.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yes, exactly. James is 127 DAYS older today than Manu was when he debuted in the NBA.

5. i3artow i3aller

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

is Manu's body physically capable of sustaining that sort of workload? It's never seemed that way

7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Good question..also would Manu be able to consistently beat defenses designed to stop him every night being the main target for an entire season would be the big question for me. Easier to do with Parker, Duncan and the rest of the crew for the past 10+ years as teammates. Would Manu be as successful as Harden this year under the same conditions having a team roster plagued with injures? I don't think so...just one example.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And the measure shouldn't be just stats, but also Wins.

9. what

what Member

So now we are using James Harden as the barometer to judge what Manu COULD HAVE BEEN? Oh my god. Yeah boy this is a rockets forum alright

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1) You don't have to come on this site, no?

2) What's wrong with the question? Both were in similar situations. Nobody's saying Harden is the "barometer", but just that their situations are similar enough where a discussion could realistically be had.

11. heypartner

At least we aren't using Ginobody as a barometer of what Harden would be like in the Italian league at age 24.

12. what

what Member

I think Manu has been a star his entire career. I also think that if I had my choice Manu's career or Harden's, 5 championships to none, okay I like Manu's career, so why would Manu ever want to be Harden?

13. heypartner

You are wrong: The situations are not very similar at all

Ginobody's situation: Didn't put up Harden sixth-man numbers on a contender until age 27.

Harden's situation: Put up Ginobody sixth-man numbers on a contender at age 21. Was the main reason OKC beat the Spurs in 2012 when playing directly against Ginobody. Left OKC at age 23, and immediately started putting up numbers that this thread suggests Ginobody would have at age 28.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I stand corrected!

When did I ever say Manu wishes he was Harden?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No it is not proof.

Yes I would have loved to see what Manu could have done his whole career as the lead dog.

No I dont think it would equal Hardens prime.

Yes it is interesting that whereas the media seems to have always loved the uniqueness to Manu's game that is at least somewhat similar in style to James, they all seem to find Harden's game "annoying" in some way.

1 person likes this.
  16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Manu despite his brilliance is made of glass.

17. what

what Member

I don't think anybody thinks harden's game is annoying. Harden is a great player, maybe the most unguardable player in the league right now. But just because he's having a great season doesn't mean that he has all of the sudden knocked off one of the greatest sg's in league history.

Harden needs to at least get to the second round of the playoffs, or not choke in the finals when okc could have one the championship, before we say he is greater than Manu.

18. heypartner

Apparently you have forgotten that Harden went to the Finals as a 22yr old winning sixth-man of the year in the NBA...and he was the main reason they beat the Spurs in route to the Finals.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He had a year where he played 31 minutes and averaged 19 ppg on good efficiency.

Could he have upped his usage and volume without losing efficiency and assists?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I remember you saying a lot that Manu wouldn't even make it in the league because he had no first step or something. You probably said Mobley was better too. Am I on the right track?